THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How essential is wrapping the butt in foil at 160? I was thinking about just putting it on the grate at that point but not wrapping.

How essential is wrapping the butt in foil at 160? I was thinking about just putting it on the grate at that point but not wrapping.

It's not terribly important. In my opinion it's mainly to speed up the cooking process. You could run into issues with running out of coal if you didn't but I'm just guessing. If you did you could always finish in the oven.

Otherwise, let it ride. Should turn out well. I would still wrap it after it's done and let it rest for about an hour..... just me...

Good luck!

Did anyone successfully add coal to the PBC mid-cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to share this with my favorite thread :). I am not an elite competition cook but I am working hard to get better. Today was my first comp with our new competition truck and we had a good day!
G6RUHEjl.jpg

kIpvUk6l.jpg

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to share this with my favorite thread :). I am not an elite competition cook but I am working hard to get better. Today was my first comp with our new competition truck and we had a good day!
G6RUHEjl.jpg

kIpvUk6l.jpg

Nice job! Guess you need that big truck for all those cookers. So what comp meats do you cook on the PBC? Looking at cooking chicken on mine in a small local comp in a few weeks.

Nice job! Guess you need that big truck for all those cookers. So what comp meats do you cook on the PBC? Looking at cooking chicken on mine in a small local comp in a few weeks.

Yep.We have it built out with a kitchen in the front half and a "porch" on the back half.

We cook all 4 of them on the PBC and PBCJ.

Yep.We have it built out with a kitchen in the front half and a "porch" on the back half.

We cook all 4 of them on the PBC and PBCJ.

Wow, all 4 on a PBC or PBJ! Nice! No wonder Noah sponsors you!
Going to do a practice cook today on mine and have to nail the chicken time as at the comp as I’ll do tri-tip on it too (1 hour after chicken turn-in is tri-tip). Assuming you do the normal butter bath in the PBC, what is your timeline, if I may pry? I’m thinking about an hour in the mini loaf pan until 180, dunk and then 10 on the grill grate to set the sauce?

Wow, all 4 on a PBC or PBJ! Nice! No wonder Noah sponsors you!
Going to do a practice cook today on mine and have to nail the chicken time as at the comp as I’ll do tri-tip on it too (1 hour after chicken turn-in is tri-tip). Assuming you do the normal butter bath in the PBC, what is your timeline, if I may pry? I’m thinking about an hour in the mini loaf pan until 180, dunk and then 10 on the grill grate to set the sauce?

I cook them for 50 minutes uncovered and 40 minutes covered running at around 300. I add a pat of parkay to the top of each piece when I wrap. I dunk and then set the sauce for 5-10 min. I am not expert but my chicken usually hits.

Back