I would be willing to try it if it was available in my neck of the woods. I have never seen it for sale locally. I think next go round I will try lump in the basket and KBB or Weber in the chimney. Like I said, the flavor is there if I can get the texture where I want it.

You guys are making this entire resisting thing very hard!

Last edited:
Heads-up! I'm determined to smoke the best briskie I've ever smoked. I've smoked probably 8-10 packers and I'd say they break down like this:

2 B+
2 B
2 B-
2 C
2 F

Hard to admit, but I have not mastered the brisket. I should actually have a day off later this week that I can devote to an A+ brisket and I am committing to you guys right now to post the cook and the result, regardless of whether it's an F or an A. I'd prefer to pretend like it never happened if it turns out to be a fail, but where's the honor in that? Should be Friday--I hope.

Doing a party for the girlfriend's birthday on Saturday. Will also be doing a brisket along with a pork butt. Then I'll just smash a bunch of wings on skewers once I pull the big cuts and put them in the cooler.

Going for pulled brisket again though since it will be easier eats at the party. I might even like it better pulled, which is probably blasphemy.

So as I’m busy trying to resist buying a pit barrel, I’m also debating on which size I’d like. If I were to give in that is. Anyone here have regret and wish they ended up buying the other size? I don’t cook for loads of people, but I like having the option there if need be. But I also like the “easier” portability of the jr. I guess it’s also worth noting that they are sold out of the jr currently. And lastly a store about 45 mins from me sells the pbc. Anyway curiousity is getting to me.

So as I’m busy trying to resist buying a pit barrel, I’m also debating on which size I’d like. If I were to give in that is. Anyone here have regret and wish they ended up buying the other size? I don’t cook for loads of people, but I like having the option there if need be. But I also like the “easier” portability of the jr. I guess it’s also worth noting that they are sold out of the jr currently. And lastly a store about 45 mins from me sells the pbc. Anyway curiousity is getting to me.

Will the cooker be your only smoker? If so get the PBC. If you already have something large enough for the occasional large cook, the get the PBJ....
Honestly from what you described the PBJ is probably big enough. I just think if it's your only cooker you may end up wishing you had more space once in awhile....

I have a uds, wsm 18, etc etc. was just bitten by pit barrel bug. Looks like they won t have the jr in stock till mid may.

I would say if you have a UDS then get the PBJ. They are awesome for anything you can hang and as you mentioned very portable. One thing that is really fantastic is they use very little charcoal! Plus if you have the bug to buy something..might as well buy it from such an awesome company!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back