Hello from the UK after watching many youtube vids and a trip a few years ago to a friends in Florida i have been bitten by the Q bug finding suitable brisket is hard we have all grass fed beef and smaller beasts over all, very lean in the main stream. I have found some good butchers who have helped me source Angus,wagyu (damn expensive) and recently heritage beef breeds seems these older breeds are not bred to be lean.Pork on the other hand is great we have heritage breeds even in the big chain stores.
so i found a barrel had fruit in it originally it already had 4 holes in the bottom as it was used as a fire barrel in my dads garden so i cleaned it out made a very simple uds made a quick fire basket and set her away temp shot up to 320f so i closed the holes a little with tin foil got it to 275 and put in my brisket and took to 205 internal, even with the non existent marbling it was delicious i bet its the only smoked brisket cooked in a 100 mile radius my friends were impressed to say the least and many now want a barrel lol just thought i would share my first attempt as I'm exited like a school kid.
And thanks to my American friends who have blessed my live with Q,God bless the USA indeed.

Join the obsession. Get the big one. You’ll be in the club. We’ll teach you the secret handshake.

Agreed, just get the big one. You'll want the extra capacity at some point. I find myself even cooking with 2 or 3 barrels multiple times a year. Once you start cooking well everybody will want you to be the party host. Then its a snowball effect until your whole porch is filled up with grills. Then you go to BBQ AA and your bank account goes to zero. Be careful..

Hello from the UK after watching many youtube vids and a trip a few years ago to a friends in Florida i have been bitten by the Q bug finding suitable brisket is hard we have all grass fed beef and smaller beasts over all, very lean in the main stream. I have found some good butchers who have helped me source Angus,wagyu (damn expensive) and recently heritage beef breeds seems these older breeds are not bred to be lean.Pork on the other hand is great we have heritage breeds even in the big chain stores.
so i found a barrel had fruit in it originally it already had 4 holes in the bottom as it was used as a fire barrel in my dads garden so i cleaned it out made a very simple uds made a quick fire basket and set her away temp shot up to 320f so i closed the holes a little with tin foil got it to 275 and put in my brisket and took to 205 internal, even with the non existent marbling it was delicious i bet its the only smoked brisket cooked in a 100 mile radius my friends were impressed to say the least and many now want a barrel lol just thought i would share my first attempt as I'm exited like a school kid.
And thanks to my American friends who have blessed my live with Q,God bless the USA indeed.

Bob, this is a great post! It’s a great read. I’m happy to hear you’ve been infected by BBQ fever. I look forward to more of your cooks—maybe with a pic of your cooker.

Welcome. Have you been here?
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

Bob, this is a great post! It’s a great read. I’m happy to hear you’ve been infected by BBQ fever. I look forward to more of your cooks—maybe with a pic of your cooker.

Ok baby steps i will be cleaning the outside as at the moment its just bare and rusty need to find some paint on line at the weekend , before the weekend i will be doing a pork but and some sausage before i finish the uds at the weekend can't resist, i need to research how to get pics on line lol.

$225 with the catcher and grate which are both kind of necessities, especially the grate?

Decision is made, man. Don't post again unless it is a picture of you picking her up :grin: :wink:

Question for the group. Any change of getting my PBC to run around 180? I have a PartyQ and am concerned the coals will still extinguish at this temp. Id like to try and make some jerky which is why Im needing that temp. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

We have talked about running a 2x2 snake and seeing if you could get it that low. Never tried it myself. Let us know how it turns out?

Question for the group. Any change of getting my PBC to run around 180? I have a PartyQ and am concerned the coals will still extinguish at this temp. Id like to try and make some jerky which is why Im needing that temp. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ssv3 has done it, but he used a diffuser. Maybe he will chime in or if you are good at researching this thread you can find his posts on it....lol

Doable for sure. I've done it many ways including little charcoal to start with or a diffuser in place like Andrew said.

Here's the diffuser in place to be between 165-180 or thereabout to smoke bacon, sausage, etc. or whatever

HU801qHh.png

Zmdvh7Eh.png

fj3rry6h.png

bNyRDsuh.png

Has anyone added a hinged lid? Don’t know why but I hate having to hang mine every time.

Not sure but I think you are just the man to give it a try using this:

Attachments

• hinge.jpg
    hinge.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
You have a hinged lid...on your Lang. Now GO cook on it!

LOL..... I plan on it this weekend. New Teltru will be in today, picking up wood in the morning and plan on a couple fatties, a butt and possibly some baby backs. Or, who knows what I might find at Costco tonight.

Not sure but I think you are just the man to give it a try using this:

I like that but dang it’s high!! I could buy the hunsaker I have been eye balling for only a little more. Ok more than a little, just trying to justify it as I really hate putting in and taking out the rebar as well when I am doing things like smoked Mac and cheesel. Maybe I am just to picky.

I like that but dang it’s high!! I could buy the hunsaker I have been eye balling for only a little more. Ok more than a little, just trying to justify it as I really hate putting in and taking out the rebar as well when I am doing things like smoked Mac and cheesel. Maybe I am just to picky.

But your looking at free shipping and the chance to be first on your block (any maybe all of PBC Nation) to have a hinged lid. The future success of the PBC and this thread may hinge on your decision.

Back