THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks!

I may look into one of those cylindrical baskets rather than the flat one I have currently.

Just not sure how evenly tumbling wings would cook...

Growing up, I ate a ton of tumbled chicken parts. If I'm remembering correctly, it was the only way wings ever turned out edible.

Looks great Pete. I'm sure you'll come up with wing mod.

I've GOT it!

All I gotta do is buy another rotisserie ring and mount it on top of the first! :loco:

I could just keep stacking them ad infinitum.

(Brainstorming and beer do NOT mix.... :nono: )

Got a big brisket going--almost 17#. Unfortunately, I forgot I'd have trouble hanging it in the PBC--way too long. I usually stick with the 10-12 pounders, but this one seemed the "floppiest", so I went with it (forgetting that I'd have a little problem when I went to hang it). I rigged it up this way:

1fLfD7Ol.jpg

Did a labor day wing cook on the PBC. Came out perfect but I was too slow on the draw to get after pics...by the time I came back in with the sausage the pile of wings was all but gone!
LPGGjVTl.jpg

Just had a bad cook yesterday (brisket)

Iv'e been using a pit barrel smoker for a few years would good results. In fact about a month ago, my last brisket came out perfect. Yesterday a different experience, I hope to figure out where I went wrong.

I had a 11lb choice brisket which I trimmed, put on a salt and pepper rub. The brisket was about 50 degrees when I put it on. Used Kingsford original as per Pit Barrels's instructions. I thought I would keep it on the low side heatwise 275-300f. After an 1 1/2 hours it stalled at 156f for 2 hours then it started going up again. At 3 3/4 hours from the start, the brisket hit 165f, so I pulled it, wrapped it with two layers of 4-lb peach butcher paper after I added about 1/2 c beef broth.

I placed it on the PB rack until the 7 hour mark, where the coals started to die down a bit. I moved it to my oven for an hour at 300f. At that time it had reached 202f. I put it in an ice chest and carved it about 45 minutes later.

(the above instructions are basically the same as on the PB website and I had good results last time)

The brisket was way overcooked and dry, except for the fatty portion, which was almost passable but not great. The butcher paper was soaked and dripping. The meat also had a slightly different flavor (maybe because it was over cooked) :heh:

Obviously it was cooked too long, and this brisket did cook longer than my previous excellent one but it was slightly bigger and I cooked it at a slightly lower temp. The 203-204f seems to be a commonly accepted guide, both recommend by PB and Aaron Franklin, granted he goes by feel and on a thermometer. But before I toss my digital crutch, I like to know what happened this time. I am thinking, regardless of the final temp, if you cook it too long, you can still overcook? OR could it have hit a much higher temp. sitting in the ice chest? Help:pray:

At least we survived the hurricane.

Texas Big Boy

Iv'e been using a pit barrel smoker for a few years would good results. In fact about a month ago, my last brisket came out perfect. Yesterday a different experience, I hope to figure out where I went wrong.

I had a 11lb choice brisket which I trimmed, put on a salt and pepper rub. The brisket was about 50 degrees when I put it on. Used Kingsford original as per Pit Barrels's instructions. I thought I would keep it on the low side heatwise 275-300f. After an 1 1/2 hours it stalled at 156f for 2 hours then it started going up again. At 3 3/4 hours from the start, the brisket hit 165f, so I pulled it, wrapped it with two layers of 4-lb peach butcher paper after I added about 1/2 c beef broth.

I placed it on the PB rack until the 7 hour mark, where the coals started to die down a bit. I moved it to my oven for an hour at 300f. At that time it had reached 202f. I put it in an ice chest and carved it about 45 minutes later.

(the above instructions are basically the same as on the PB website and I had good results last time)

The brisket was way overcooked and dry, except for the fatty portion, which was almost passable but not great. The butcher paper was soaked and dripping. The meat also had a slightly different flavor (maybe because it was over cooked) :heh:

Obviously it was cooked too long, and this brisket did cook longer than my previous excellent one but it was slightly bigger and I cooked it at a slightly lower temp. The 203-204f seems to be a commonly accepted guide, both recommend by PB and Aaron Franklin, granted he goes by feel and on a thermometer. But before I toss my digital crutch, I like to know what happened this time. I am thinking, regardless of the final temp, if you cook it too long, you can still overcook? OR could it have hit a much higher temp. sitting in the ice chest? Help:pray:

At least we survived the hurricane.

Texas Big Boy

Did you wrap it last time? I don't really look at the final internal temp anymore because it makes me over think things. I do know that the shorter the total cook time the higher the final done temperature. I usually shoot for 5 hours and the probe usually reads 211-213. If I stretch the cook out at a lower temp to say 7-8 hours it is usually reads 202-207 when done.

Couple of things. First, when you say overcooked and dry...was it crumbling and failing apart when you cut it? If not it was likely undercooked. Second...I stopped using the beef broth as a wrapping liquid. Imho it gives the brisket more of a pot roast taste. If you are wrapping in butcher paper you shouldn't need to add liquid to keep it moist.

Third...and you already know. Probe tender...not a certain temp.

Been a while since I last cooked on the PBC.

On the menu today: spares, Lollipop chicken, wangs and possibly a fatty

Used a combo of retro Kingsford charcoal for possibly 1991 my neighbor gave me and new Kingsford Pro. I've used the half of the old bag and man is it amazing charcoal. :-o Virtually no start up smoke and no infamous Kingsford smell. The new stuff is a joke.

l5e08Dph.jpg

Yes, really old :-D

eCCU3Nmh.jpg

Old Kingsford left, new right

OsaoEOdh.jpg

Side view

tsSaX04h.jpg

The old felt heavier too so I thought I'd check and sure enought

Old

f7BuNQuh.jpg

New

59W6nqxh.jpg

She even threw in some retro chips too :becky:

222LbG2h.jpg

Ready for later

idP0INBh.jpg

Found these and so far I'm very impressed with the quality

wXesIoFh.jpg

BgkWtDNh.jpg

Layers of flavor :nod: savory, heat, more heat, oakridge, SM cherry and topped with SM bourbon rub :thumb:

EfWtI2Wh.jpg

Off we go

JzXUqwzh.jpg

Stay tuned

Pretty neat comparison, Sako. Looks like the old Kingsford is the new Weber briqs.

My brisket is cruising along, wrapped in b paper, at about 176. My main concern with this monster is that it's so large, and i trimmed it up pretty well, that there is a lot of variability in IT from one spot to another. When I wrapped, the flat ranged from 155 to 173. Never had that large a range before, but I wrapped it anyway and away we go...

Pretty neat comparison, Sako. Looks like the old Kingsford is the new Weber briqs.

My brisket is cruising along, wrapped in b paper, at about 176. My main concern with this monster is that it's so large, and i trimmed it up pretty well, that there is a lot of variability in IT from one spot to another. When I wrapped, the flat ranged from 155 to 173. Never had that large a range before, but I wrapped it anyway and away we go...

Thanks Kanco! Good to be back home. Missed out on the Weber briquettes deal since I was out of country for a bit. Heard nothing but great things. I'm going to grab a bag to test it out. I mean I still have about 400lbs of different charcoal to go through. :laugh:

Check the thickest part of the flat for accurate temps. That's around where the point and the flat meat but make sure to probe the flat. Temps are deceiving at times so go by feel and I can't stress enough how important proper rest is for a great brisket. Temps are just a guide so go by feel over numbers.

Welcome back Sako. Looking good! Did some delicious beef short ribs on the PBC today but was too lazy to take pics. Also was the maiden voyage for my Thermoworks Smoke. Was very accurate and the range worked well for me. Reached the man cave so that was really all that mattered.

Back