CHEEEFS!

I'm a Browns fan by birth, but having spent my formative years in Kansas, I'm a Chiefs fan as well. Allows me to enjoy more than one victory a year :icon_blush:

My wife is from KC so she's also a Chiefs fan -- she bought the KC sign for the Cantina to offset bad juju she attributed to my Browns banner...:shocked:

Ribs this weekend

20170827_200100.jpg

pile of ribs i cooked up for my nephew and his friends. had my first accident about 3.5hrs in. one of the racks was a little too tender and fell off the hook and into the coals. luckily i checked on them in time to save the rack without too much charring. :)

I415OALl.jpg

661JVNKl.jpg

Been MIA on smoking for a few weeks now preparing for a move. All moved in and looking forward to doing a cook on Labor Day. Should have my first order of Oakridge rubs coming in so I'm going to decide between a packer or a couple racks of short ribs to hang and then something fun on the rack...maybe a butt.

These pork ribs are looking good too though!

What are y'all's cook times on a packer brisket? Is it really as fast as the website says?

I was thinking about getting up at 5 and having her on by 6. I plan on having people over at four pm? Do you think that is enough time?

I was also thinking about separating the point and flat to maximize bark and surface area.

thanks,

Last edited:
First question is what size brisket? A 9lb brisket will be different than a 15lb brisket.

Second is do you plan to wrap it? If you smoke at 300-325 for 5-6 hours until the temp reaches 160, then wrap tightly in butcher paper or foil, it will only take another 1-2 hours to finish.

However then you need to let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour.

I'm thinking 10 hours is right at the outside edge and leaves no time for error. Better plan for some appetizers at 4 and give yourself some extra time...plan to eat at 5 or 6.

What are y'all's cook times on a packer brisket? Is it really as fast as the website says?

I was thinking about getting up at 5 and having her on by 6. I plan on having people over at four pm? Do you think that is enough time?

I was also thinking about separating the point and flat to maximize bark and surface area.

thanks,

Nick

The last 3 I have cooked have finished in about 5 hours. I usually cook 14 lb briskets that I trim pretty aggressively and separate.

First question is what size brisket? A 9lb brisket will be different than a 15lb brisket.

Second is do you plan to wrap it? If you smoke at 300-325 for 5-6 hours until the temp reaches 160, then wrap tightly in butcher paper or foil, it will only take another 1-2 hours to finish.

However then you need to let it rest in a cooler for at least an hour.

I'm thinking 10 hours is right at the outside edge and leaves no time for error. Better plan for some appetizers at 4 and give yourself some extra time...plan to eat at 5 or 6.

Thanks!

I just bought a 10.5 lb brisket. I think I trimmed 2 to 2.5 lbs off. I like your advice of wrapping about three hours before we want to eat.

Playing with the rotisserie today -- hooray wings!

Got my free sample bag of Weber, so used that for the cook. Put the charcoal basket on my lower rack (roughly handle height). Hot 'n' fast - roughly 350-400 at roti level.

My usual wing technique is an hour of 225-250* smoke followed by crisping on the gasser. The rotisserie gave me crispy wings in one step. Meat was perfectly cooked too, though not as smoked-tasting.

Only real drawback is the basket capacity. Can't do a party-load in one batch....

Attachments

• rotiWings1.jpg
    rotiWings1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 169
  • rotiWings2.jpg
    rotiWings2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 167
  • rotiWings3.JPG
    rotiWings3.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 168
  • rotiWings4.jpg
    rotiWings4.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 165
Thanks!

I may look into one of those cylindrical baskets rather than the flat one I have currently.

Just not sure how evenly tumbling wings would cook...

Back