THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Think maybe it was me being skimpy on the coals. Lit it again today and have a butt on. Temp has been good if not even a little on the hot side. So just first run self inflicted issues lol.

It happens to us all. The nice thing about the PBC is if you cook hot, if you cook cool, if your temps are all over the place, it may be aggravating if you are trying to shoot for a particular temp, but one thing is for sure, whatever you are cooking will taste great! A lot of people, Sako is one, dont even monitor the cooker temperature and make outstanding food!

I've got no Idea what my PBC runs. No mounted thermometer on mine, nor will there ever be. Maybe I'm just lucky to live at 3600 asl
Flawless from the first cook.

Last edited:
Sucklebusters Steak Rub allowed to sit then rubbed with olive oil, then a layer of , Sucklebusters Texas Brisket Rub, allowed that to sit a bit- then a light coating of Pecan Rub. I didn't use more rub than usual, just used a bit of each. Trimming and seasoning all took place while PBC was coming to temp. Right before hanging I dropped about a tall boy total amount (2small chunks each)of mesquite hickory and pecan on the coals. Let it hang 4 hours. Removed and installed the grate and wrapped Brisket in butcher paper- and placed on the grate. 8 total hours in the cooker. Removed to a foil pan and vented for 45 minutes and sliced. Easy cook.

Im probably going to be using PBC and SOB quite a bit. I've got 10 bags of briqs and one 10# bag of Ozark Oak. Need to balance down the briqs. I've been kind of hungry for grilled chicken in white beans. PBC is killer for a grate load of thighs

Cooking 2.5lb flank steak tonight that been marinating in teriyaki since Friday afternoon. Question is how to cook it.

1) Hang it in the PBC?
2) Put the coal basket on the grate and put my second grate on the rebar for a high heat direct cook?
3) Leave the coal basket on the bottom and just leave the lid off and crank up the PartyQ? Or
4) Throw it on the gasser.

Cooking 2.5lb flank steak tonight that been marinating in teriyaki since Friday afternoon. Question is how to cook it.

1) Hang it in the PBC?
2) Put the coal basket on the grate and put my second grate on the rebar for a high heat direct cook?
3) Leave the coal basket on the bottom and just leave the lid off and crank up the PartyQ? Or
4) Throw it on the gasser.

Not sure what you did but I would have hung it till almost done then seared it. Kind of like a reverse sear...

Brisket and ribs today.
Good day. Best brisket yet (212* for probe tender - think all my prior briskies were pulled too soon, as the flat was tough).

IMG_20161029_211843_zps0ntqfdjd.jpg

IMG_20161030_173342_zpsbavkgphb.jpg

IMG_20161030_173707_zpsqmnhsnr5.jpg

IMG_20161030_174106_zpsaebo7jbn.jpg

Good day.

Forgot to take any pictures but one, but thought I would share today's cook anyway. Wife and I went to the grocery store this afternoon looking to pick up something to throw on the PBC. Was kind of planning on getting a whole chicken but noticed they had rump roast on sale. Picked a 2 lb roast and got the fire going as soon as we got home. Coated it with some olive oil, rubbed it with Beef and Game seasoning, put a couple of hooks in and hung it in PBC.

After less than a couple of hours it was probing 135° in the middle and higher in a few other spots so pulled if off.

I had used the split grate to bake a couple of russettes and the roast was done well before the taters. My timing was obviously off a bit. Covered the roast with foil and some towels while the potatoes finished.

While the meat was not piping hot when it was time to eat, it was plenty warm and was very juicy and had a great smokey flavor. Think I will be doing more beef roasts as my wife and I both really enjoyed it.

Back