I'm in need of some suggestions to throw on my PBC. I am super happy with my brisket, ribs, chicken thighs, wings...all the standard stuff. But sometimes I want something that is different, can be a quick prep and can be hung. Would love to hear what you all cook when faced with a similar thought. Let's hear it!

Check out Steven Raichlen and Project Smoke he used the PBC or his recipes work fine and he's got a lot of different stuff

Have any of you used a PBC in the dead of winter? I live up in Canada and am considering one of these units, but the temperature can get below 0 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in January. How would you go about adjusting your method for very low outdoor temps with a PBC?

Last winter i used my PBC in both Boston and up in Maine last winter. It ran great and I would guess everything takes about 15-30 minutes longer on a cold day than a warm day.

Worst case I can email the good folks at PBC. Very responsive. Mine came scratched and nicked. I emailed them. They offered a new barrel or (amber called) or accessories. Per Ambers suggestion I threw some high gloss tmrwttle can and accepted the accessories offered.

Good peeps.

No doubt they are good people. I hope you enjoy the PBC as much as all of us have.

My pbc is supposed to arrive today. Should it be seasoned or just set up and go?

You can cook on it right out of the box. It won't be "seasoned" in the way you are thinking, but there is no seasining process other than cooking on it.
Any idea what your first cook will be?

Oh and if I havent said it already, Welcome to the club! :thumb:

You picked a great weekend to get started with the PBC, James! You just need some charcoal and you're all set to cook. I suggest checking the PBC site the first time just to see their recommended lighting procedures and how they recommend placing the hooks. Apart from that, your instincts as a cook and the PBC will get you some great food!

Have some St. Louis cut ribs from Costco and some leg quarters to try out. Got the charcoal and some apple wood chunks ready too. Have to work tonight so I'll be firing it up first thing Saturday morning. Hopefully have a good meal in time for the Florida Georgia game.

So my high temp issues are related to a leaking lid. I put some weight on top and it's running at 275 steady.

Thanks to the gentalman who pointed it out. I thought the smoke coming out from under the lid was from the rebar holes. Not sure if I should e-mail them or not. The rocks on top seem to be working.

Anyone use sealing tape?

Cooking whole red snapper. I was going to hang it, but total fail on my butcher tying skills.

So my high temp issues are related to a leaking lid. I put some weight on top and it's running at 275 steady.

Thanks to the gentalman who pointed it out. I thought the smoke coming out from under the lid was from the rebar holes. Not sure if I should e-mail them or not. The rocks on top seem to be working.

Anyone use sealing tape?

Cooking whole red snapper. I was going to hang it, but total fail on my butcher tying skills.

Glad you figured it out! I figured that was your issue as nothing else made sense. Especially with how hot it was getting with the lid on. Anyway, if you are able to get it sealed with weight it makes me wonder if the lid is warped. If so, I'm positive Noah will replace it. The other option is to see if it will seal up after a few cooks. I'd think about calling Noah at PBC and see what he says if I were you. I've heard the newer lids have had some issues... :thumb:

Pork shoulde for pulled pork in the am. I'm a newbie at this so any advice is welcome. I really am enjoying (now that I have the temps sorted) that I don't have to mess with any vents or check it until my chef alarm beeps. Brilliant BBQ. Set it and forget it. Couldn't resist.

I e-mailed the sales email. I feel bad bugging people. I have already spoken with amber about a nick in the finish and they offered a new barrel or accessories. I opted to paint the spot and left the later up to them.

Pork shoulder will be my next cook. Probably tomorrow morning. Let us know how it turns out and if you come up with any tips for me lol. Figure I'll put the ribs on in a couple hours around 10. Getting excited. Just hope they come out.

For me pulled pork is fairly simple although if you search this site you will find hundreds of different methods.

I rub it with kosher salt the night before. Plan for about 12 hours at most in the fridge uncovered with just the salt. Rub it in the morning with your favorite rub. On the smoke...pork is very forgiving so temp is wherever the PBC settled. I've done two methods from there and both turn out fine. One is to keep it unwrapped. Takes a bit longer but the bark is heavier. Other way is to wrap at about 165 when it stalls. Butcher paper or foil.

When it hits 203 probed in several places then pull it and wrap it and put it in a cooler for at least an hour. Longer is better. Then pull away. The bone should pull out clean.

One common trick on this site is to save a little of the rub you use and throw that back in to the pulled pork before you serve.

Good luck and post pics!

Well the first cook went ok. I know you're not supposed to pay attention to temp but couldn't help myself. Temp started out at around 250 and kept dropping. I know most seem to run to hot but mine was the opposite. Finally took the meat off and put more hot coals in. Finally got up over 300 but steadily dropped but I just left it. Not sure what the issue was. Anyways the ribs came out good with a nice smoke ring. The leg quarters got good reviews as well. Gonna try a butt in the morning. Hopefully it'll stay hot this time.

Forgot to take pics. My girl sent this one to her friend. Not the best pic but it's something.

Attachments

• IMG_4423.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 149
It's been windy in Florida the week, James. You want to protect the intake from wind (but don't block it) as much as possible. Wind blowing past or directly at the intake can prevent it from taking in air correctly.

Think maybe it was me being skimpy on the coals. Lit it again today and have a butt on. Temp has been good if not even a little on the hot side. So just first run self inflicted issues lol.

This is what's on today

Attachments

• IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 141
Back