414 seems really high. Andrew, do you think him lighting 35 coals at once could cause this?

414 seems really high. Andrew, do you think him lighting 35 coals at once could cause this?

Shouldn't cause it to go that high, I usually lite 36 for 275°. But lighting less may help it drop a little. Im wondering if his lid is leaking. It may take a few cooks to build up a seal similar to a kettle.
I've read from some folks here that the PBC lids are diffetent than the ones from a year or so ago and that they fit more loose now....

I keep a few large magnets stuck to the side of the PBC. Use them to adjust the intake and cover the rebar holes when I'm closing it off. Allows minor adjustments to the intake really easily.

Are you leaving the cover off when you dump the coals in? You need to make sure you put the rebar in and close the lid pretty quick if it's getting that hot.

Ahh! Sportster hit something I usually ask and forgot. Definitely put the lid on within about 30 seconds after dumping the lit coals or (like he said) the temp will sky rocket...same with adding meat. Get it in and the lid back on as quickly as you can.

Dumped coals in basket and put basket in fast then rod and lid. I put foil in the intake and it just came down to 300. I usually dump into a corner of the basket but it always seems to run hot. I'll get a magnet for the intake and keep it nearly choked all the way off next time. I just pull the ribs after putting back in for an hour they are tender by feel. Eating in a bit.

Just worried about sat when I put on a pork shoulder.

Dumped coals in basket and put basket in fast then rode and lid. I put foil in the intake and it just came down to 300.

Ok. New info. You just said you put the basket in after you dumped the coals?

I put the partially filled charcoal basket in the bottom of the PBC and then lite the chimney on the grate. After about 15 minutes (when coals are mostly grey over and not a lot of flame) then I dump the lit coals into the basket in the bottom of the PBC.

Ahh! Sportster hit something I usually ask and forgot. Definitely put the lid on within about 30 seconds after dumping the lit coals or (like he said) the temp will sky rocket...same with adding meat. Get it in and the lid back on as quickly as you can.

Now that would definitely cause the spike in temps

Kinda dry ribs. The intake was almost all the way off. Next time I'll dump in a corner like I have done before. I am careful about closing it up
Quikly.

Time to roast some pumpkin seeds with leftover coals.

Kinda dry ribs. The intake was almost all the way off. Next time I'll dump in a corner like I have done before. I am careful about closing it up
Quikly.

Time to roast some pumpkin seeds with leftover coals.

I always encourage folks to do what works best for them so if putting the hot coals in a corner works then sure, do that. But you shouldn't have to. My guess would be if you close your intake a little more you'd be ok. I still think you may be leaking at the lid too. Hopefully it'll get gunked up after a few more cooks and seal up better for you. Keep cooking, you'll get it all worked out pretty quick! :thumb:

Worst case I can email the good folks at PBC. Very responsive. Mine came scratched and nicked. I emailed them. They offered a new barrel or (amber called) or accessories. Per Ambers suggestion I threw some high gloss tmrwttle can and accepted the accessories offered.

Good peeps.

Worst case I can email the good folks at PBC. Very responsive. Mine came scratched and nicked. I emailed them. They offered a new barrel or (amber called) or accessories. Per Ambers suggestion I threw some high gloss tmrwttle can and accepted the accessories offered.

Good peeps.

Yes that are great! Very customer service oriented for sure.

Forgot to mention I read up to post 222. all the info and still can't get it right.

Can you link that post? Its a long story but I cant see posts from a certain induvidual which makes the thread post count different for me...

For example, this post shows post #4715 for me when we are clearly over 5000 posts...

Have any of you used a PBC in the dead of winter? I live up in Canada and am considering one of these units, but the temperature can get below 0 degrees (Fahrenheit) here in January. How would you go about adjusting your method for very low outdoor temps with a PBC?

Can you link that post? Its a long story but I cant see posts from a certain induvidual which makes the thread post count different for me...

For example, this post shows post #4715 for me when we are clearly over 5000 posts...

Just barely Andrew. Your post was 5014!

New to the forum and basically new to smoking. Done minimal with wood chip packets on a gas grill (not really smoking). My PBC is arriving Friday. Other than chicken what's a good starting meat? Was thinking ribs or butt. I want to get good at one thing. I have a tailgate in 3 weeks where everyone is supposed to bring their best meat. Any suggestions?

Welcome....The best advice I have is spend some time lurking through the old posts. There is so much info in this forum that is buried in the pages prior to you joining. I will tell you that if you follow Noah's instructions you can not go wrong if you are a novice. Most of the videos they have are spot on for time and direction. Once you get the hang of it you can experiment with some of the other owners posts. If you have a question ask and you will probably get a bunch of answers. If you call the number listed for your PBC Noah will call you back very rapidly and answer any question you would have. Wings are great, half chickens are unbelievable, ribs are to die for, pork butts are easy. Just beware you will have all your friends wanting more! Good Luck

Hi all! I've had my PBC for a couple of weeks Coast Guard labeled. I've made ribs chicken and. Ribs again today.

Mine seems to run hot. At least this cook. I used a basket with half new half from my last cook. I lit 35 briquettes in my Webber chimney for 12 min. Dumped in. I put the ribs in 20 min later checked the temp and I'm at 430?

I usually dump in one corner with 36 and seem to run 330. Not sure how you folks get down to 275. I have my vent at a 1/4 if not less.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

I also am in Phoenix and have not had any of the temp problems you have had. I have had mine for about 2 months and have loved everything about it. I actually set my intake a bit smaller than recommended to lower the temps and it was running at about 235 at the grate and I was getting unbelievable cook times from a full basket. Two weeks ago I had it loaded with 7 racks of ribs and the temps and times were right on. I did 8 half chickens the next day and it also was good on temp and time. On Thursday I did 24 lbs of butt for the Cardinals game and added a half pan or Mac N Cheez when I wrapped the butts. On game day we put 40 wings, a pan of moink balls and some ABT's on. Loaded it all up in the Cambro and headed to the game. I have modified mine to hold a second grate and it works well. After my last cook I have decided to open the intake a bit to increase temps a bit. I think I need to cook a bit hotter to get rid of some of the charcoal smoke flavor. I have 2 more butts going on tomorrow morning. Let me know if you still are having problems. This is my 5th smoker and by far the easiest thing to operate.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2195.jpg
    IMG_2195.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 167
Back