THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 racks of baby backs for my brother's baby shower. I super loaded the basket per Sako's instructions (thanks!) My last cook the PBC was really hot so I only started with 35 coals (I normally start 36) but with the full barrel I had a hard time getting up to temperature but it eventually settled in around 250 best I could tell. 3.5 hours and sauced then 4 hours total they were done. My extended family ate them so fast (while I was still cutting) I didn't get any post pictures but they came out fabulous.

Awesome photo and cook! I will be buying a PBC soon just to be able to hang a mess of ribs just like that.

Maybe it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but can anyone give me an estimate on how many chicken halves would fit in the PBC at once?

Awesome photo and cook! I will be buying a PBC soon just to be able to hang a mess of ribs just like that.

Maybe it's been discussed earlier in the thread, but can anyone give me an estimate on how many chicken halves would fit in the PBC at once?

The PBC comes with 8 hooks and that is probably the max you would want to cook even if you had additional hooks. Hope to be seeing your first PBC cook pics soon!

Hey Everyone I just purchased my PBC yesterday! I am excited to create the quality of BBQ the rest of you have been posting.

Since I will be getting my PBC tomorrow I was thinking of breaking it in with a nice tri-tip. How much charcoal should I use for that length of cook? I don't really want to have the pit burn for 7 hours when the trip-tip doesn't take very long...Thanks!

Looks great, what rub did you go with for the brisket?
Sorry for the delay. I was in NYC for the fireworks and just got back to a computer. The rub is mine. It is a mix of paprika, chipotle and some other spices. So far the reviews from the neighbors has been positive. Once I have it hammered down, I will share it.

Hey Everyone I just purchased my PBC yesterday! I am excited to create the quality of BBQ the rest of you have been posting.
Welcome! The PBC is a great cooker. There are some great mentors that follow this thread...Sako, Bob C Que and Andrew just to name a few. They are always around to give out some great advice and tips to make good taste great

Since I will be getting my PBC tomorrow I was thinking of breaking it in with a nice tri-tip. How much charcoal should I use for that length of cook? I don't really want to have the pit burn for 7 hours when the trip-tip doesn't take very long...Thanks!

You should be safe to go with half a basket. I would also make a chicken cook one of your first. Will be some of the best you've ever had and will help you get a feel for how it runs with a full basket. I would also suggest using Kingsford blue bag to help you set a baseline. Good luck.

I should have added: Have fun and welcome to the PBC club! You will love it!

Last edited:
You should be safe to go with half a basket. I would also make a chicken cook one of your first. Will be some of the best you've ever had and will help you get a feel for how it runs with a full basket. I would also suggest using Kingsford blue bag to help you set a baseline. Good luck.

I totally agree. The first cook I did was chicken just to get the "feel" of what I was doing. Best part was when my wife took her first bite and told me that the PBC was one of my better investments (besides her of course)

Welcome, Congrats! At least a half basket and it takes about 45min to a little over an hour. PBC makes killer Tri Tip.

... Just realized Bob posted already. :thumb:

Curious about alternatives to using a full basket of charcoal - anybody tried just leaving the charcoal in a chimney and setting it in the bottom of the barrel? Wondering whether it would run hot (like the afterburner approach to using a chimney and a grate to sear) or would settle down once the airflow was restricted in the barrel.

I use a half basket on all my chicken cooks. I made a metal divider that hangs over the handle of the basket and it works great. Others use fire bricks and some here even uses an 8" spring form pan without the bottom to cut down on the amount of charcoal in the basket.

funny you say that i as thinking of doing that with my kettle thats a great idea using it in the first basket.

I use a half basket on all my chicken cooks. I made a metal divider that hangs over the handle of the basket and it works great. Others use fire bricks and some here even uses an 8" spring form pan without the bottom to cut down on the amount of charcoal in the basket.

I've used a 10" springform pan without the bottom. The pan sits within the existing coal basket and holds just about 1/2 the volume of coals that the original basket does.

Some have asked "why not just pour less coals into the coal basket" and to that I would say that to my thinking you will obtain a much more controlled burn if the coals are heaped up upon one another. I am using the springform pan for all of my short cooks now. Cost less than $10 and the bottom makes a nice trivet for the chimney.

Details here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3567369&postcount=3606

Thanks, guys. I was aware of the firebrick and springform pan approach, but had forgotten about the metal divider. I was just being lazy and thinking about what I had on hand that might do the same thing in a pinch.

how many coals to do light for it if you do it that way???

I've used a 10" springform pan without the bottom. The pan sits within the existing coal basket and holds just about 1/2 the volume of coals that the original basket does.

Some have asked "why not just pour less coals into the coal basket" and to that I would say that to my thinking you will obtain a much more controlled burn if the coals are heaped up upon one another. I am using the springform pan for all of my short cooks now. Cost less than $10 and the bottom makes a nice trivet for the chimney.

Details here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3567369&postcount=3606

how many coals to do light for it if you do it that way???

Oh, I don't know, 15 - 20 perhaps? Just filled it up about 3/4 way and then poured about 15 to 20 into chimney. Worked great for cooking thighs on my last cook. The pan seems to be holding up well.

IMG_3145.jpg

Just counted the greybeards in the photo and it looks closer to 25 -30. I think I'll do ~20 the next time.

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg
This is what's left (snuffed out) after an hour and a half cook. Looks like I can cut it back some more.

1st prime rib.

Bought a lovely prime rib from our local butcher, along with some new briquettes-Aussie heat beads which are the beat i have tried so far temp has been steady for the last 4 hrs and when i snuffed it out after the cook it looks barely touched. Anyway did the meat with just a salt/pepper rub as it was that good a piece of meat. 2 hrs 40 later i pulled it off at 120F and let it rest which took it to 137F before it got cut. 4 hungry folk and 20 minutes later and it was demolished. Best meat i have done so far, so juicy.

Kabobs

I will be hanging some top sirloin kabobs in a bit. Should I put meat on their own skewers and veggies on separate skewers as they cook differently, or mix meat and veggies on the same skewer? Also, what's a good time to leave them on for? I was thinking 30-40 min. Meat is about 1 1/2 inch cubes.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Back