THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sako stop by and I will give you a beer or five (While i am picking you brain). I owe you big time for all the advice

Thanks buddy! Anytime. If you guys need help asap, feel free to PM me. I can reply back much faster since I get an email.

Question - since I will fully cook brisket and let it rest and then start baby backs and chickens, would a heaping coal basket be enough for this or would I need to add some lit and unlit charcoal when putting the ribs and chicken on? If I should add - how much? Thanks.

You'll need more coals for sure. Can't really say how much exactly but add as much as needed once you're ready to put the chix,bb's on. I don't think you'll need a whole bunch more but make sure you're a full basket. Not heaping full but enough to carry you over in finishing the cook. The PBC is at it's optimum when it's got a healthy dose of fuel unless you're cooking a single chicken or just a rack or ribs.

I'm finally sober and rested enough for a quick write up and thanks to Sako on my first dive into full packers. I did it for our block party Saturday. Alarm sounded at 2am. coffee at 2:07. charcoal lit at 2:15 and the meat which I rubbed on Thursday went on at 2:30.

No hiccups on the cook, so I sat and watched BBQ with Franklin episodes that were on my dvr Brisket wrapped at 5:30 which coincided with the first beer of the day. Pulled the briskets around 8am and following Sako's post, the point was cut up and went back on for the burnt endz while resting the flats until 11 which was lunch time. There were no survivors. What started as 18lbs of meat was reduced to some drippings by 12 noon with everyone raving about it.

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG

8 racks of baby backs for my brother's baby shower. I super loaded the basket per Sako's instructions (thanks!) My last cook the PBC was really hot so I only started with 35 coals (I normally start 36) but with the full barrel I had a hard time getting up to temperature but it eventually settled in around 250 best I could tell. 3.5 hours and sauced then 4 hours total they were done. My extended family ate them so fast (while I was still cutting) I didn't get any post pictures but they came out fabulous.

Attachments

I'm finally sober and rested enough for a quick write up and thanks to Sako on my first dive into full packers. I did it for our block party Saturday. Alarm sounded at 2am. coffee at 2:07. charcoal lit at 2:15 and the meat which I rubbed on Thursday went on at 2:30.

No hiccups on the cook, so I sat and watched BBQ with Franklin episodes that were on my dvr Brisket wrapped at 5:30 which coincided with the first beer of the day. Pulled the briskets around 8am and following Sako's post, the point was cut up and went back on for the burnt endz while resting the flats until 11 which was lunch time. There were no survivors. What started as 18lbs of meat was reduced to some drippings by 12 noon with everyone raving about it.
Very nice. Congrats!

8 racks of baby backs for my brother's baby shower. I super loaded the basket per Sako's instructions (thanks!) My last cook the PBC was really hot so I only started with 35 coals (I normally start 36) but with the full barrel I had a hard time getting up to temperature but it eventually settled in around 250 best I could tell. 3.5 hours and sauced then 4 hours total they were done. My extended family ate them so fast (while I was still cutting) I didn't get any post pictures but they came out fabulous.

Now that's a winner!

I was think the same thing. When I used that trick I did not have the ash pan. But I did just get one for Father's Day so I will need to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info!

I've had the same issue, but when trying to put the basket on top of the grate with the rebar in to support a pizza stone - the handle of the basket is higher than the rebar, so you end up with a little teter totter. Is it an issue with the newer PBCs, or am I missing something?

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3358.JPG
Looks great, what rub did you go with for the brisket?

Back