THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay....got meats for the 4th - 2 whole chickens, two racks of baby backs, and a 15lb brisket. Last time I cooked pork spare ribs they took about 3 hours. I don't have the hinge grate (yet). Trying to figure out timing of stuff. Assuming brisket will take 6-7 hours, chicken always around 2 hrs. Assuming baby backs same as other ribs maybe a little quicker. How long does it typically take from time brisket gets to 160 to probe tender/200 being wrapped?

Trying to figure logistics of hanging all the food and then grate for the brisket at the end. Any suggestions appreciated!!

I would start the brisket early and get it done then let it set in a cooler until the chicken and ribs were done. It can handle 3-5 hours in the cooler just fine.

So after doing a bunch of flats on the PBC, I am getting up at zero dark thirty to try my hand at a full packer for our block party. I am planning on following ssv3's tutorial to the letter and come up with some edible burnt ends.

I am figuring a 3am start time for putting it on the PBC to have a 12:30 lunch. Does that sound right?

Sounds about right Mike! Give yourself the extra couple hours just in case because if it finishes early you just let it rest longer. If it's going to be a long(er) rest, put it in something insulated like oven, microwave, cooler.

Okay....got meats for the 4th - 2 whole chickens, two racks of baby backs, and a 15lb brisket. Last time I cooked pork spare ribs they took about 3 hours. I don't have the hinge grate (yet). Trying to figure out timing of stuff. Assuming brisket will take 6-7 hours, chicken always around 2 hrs. Assuming baby backs same as other ribs maybe a little quicker. How long does it typically take from time brisket gets to 160 to probe tender/200 being wrapped?

Trying to figure logistics of hanging all the food and then grate for the brisket at the end. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Baby backs take about an hour less in my experience. Brisket is 6-8 hrs depending on size and your elevation. To hit 160 it is ballpark 3 to 4 hrs. If you still have ribs cooking and a while longer to go, don't worry about wrapping the brisket at 160 since you can go all the way to 180 before wrapping. You'll get better bark so it's a win win.

PS I miss Cabela's. I lived across in South Jordan a few years back. :thumb:

I've got 8 racks of ribs going on for Sunday. The most I've done before is 4 racks any suggestions for full barrel?

Load up the basket full and I mean full meaning more than average. Give yourself extra time since it's going to go longer due to it being loaded.

Sounds about right Mike! Give yourself the extra couple hours just in case because if it finishes early you just let it rest longer. If it's going to be a long(er) rest, put it in something insulated like oven, microwave, cooler.

Baby backs take about an hour less in my experience. Brisket is 6-8 hrs depending on size and your elevation. To hit 160 it is ballpark 3 to 4 hrs. If you still have ribs cooking and a while longer to go, don't worry about wrapping the brisket at 160 since you can go all the way to 180 before wrapping. You'll get better bark so it's a win win.

PS I miss Cabela's. I lived across in South Jordan a few years back. :thumb:

Load up the basket full and I mean full meaning more than average. Give yourself extra time since it's going to go longer due to it being loaded.

Get yourself a beer Sako. You deserve it!

Thanks Wes and Sako. If I made a hunger grate, do you think I could still have the brisket wrapped up and still hang 4 chicken halves and two racks of ribs? Thinking I wouldn't have room to hang so I guess I might go with Wes' suggestion and do the brisket fully, pull it off and let it rest then handle the chicken and ribs for the final 2-3 hours.

Hi all. I got my PBC for Father's Day and am loving it so far. I am new to this hobby, having finally learned to use my Weber gasser the last year or so and ready to move up to some good smoking. I read most of the 250+ pages (!!!) after my first cook and have learned a lot from you guys - THANK YOU!

So today I did my 2nd tri-tip, plus asparagus and a grilled romaine salad. I didn't get any during cook pics but I do have a few pics of the final product. The tri-tip was tender and flavorful though it was medium to medium well. My cooking temps were higher than normal and I didn't start checking IT soon enough. Oh well, one of the things I love about the PBC is you can mess up and still make a good meal. The wife liked that level of done-ness.

Anyway, here's a pic of the final plate, with a good locally made red.

Attachments

• 20160702_182739.jpg
    20160702_182739.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 194
Hi all. I got my PBC for Father's Day and am loving it so far. I am new to this hobby, having finally learned to use my Weber gasser the last year or so and ready to move up to some good smoking. I read most of the 250+ pages (!!!) after my first cook and have learned a lot from you guys - THANK YOU!

So today I did my 2nd tri-tip, plus asparagus and a grilled romaine salad. I didn't get any during cook pics but I do have a few pics of the final product. The tri-tip was tender and flavorful though it was medium to medium well. My cooking temps were higher than normal and I didn't start checking IT soon enough. Oh well, one of the things I love about the PBC is you can mess up and still make a good meal. The wife liked that level of done-ness.

Anyway, here's a pic of the final plate, with a good locally made red.

Looks great. Welcome to the Brethren and to the PBC club. Gave your pic a twist!

Attachments

• 20160702_182739 (2).jpg
    20160702_182739 (2).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for twisting my pic Bob - now how did you do that?

For the romaine I did the trick where you move the coal basket up to the grill, then place a second grill on the rebar. Except I had a hard time getting the 2nd rebar over the coal basket and into the hole on the other side. I ended up just putting the rebar on top of the drum and placing the grill on that. Thankfully it didn't roll off while cooking :-D

Thanks Wes and Sako. If I made a hunger grate, do you think I could still have the brisket wrapped up and still hang 4 chicken halves and two racks of ribs? Thinking I wouldn't have room to hang so I guess I might go with Wes' suggestion and do the brisket fully, pull it off and let it rest then handle the chicken and ribs for the final 2-3 hours.

I don't think that much meat would hang on that one side of the hinged grate but not sure since I don't have one.

Spares and Springform pan

Did my first cook trying out the 10" springform pan (with bottom removed of course) in the coal basket. The volume of 10" pan is just about 50% of the coal basket and I thought it might be just about the right amount of coals for a 4 hour cook.

Lit and ready to go
IMG_3099.jpg

Trimmed rack with Central Texas style rub, i.e. Pepper/salt ratio with a few additions
IMG_3097.jpg

After hanging for 2 hours and ready for a light sauce
IMG_3101.jpg

Hung another 15 minutes and ready to wrap
IMG_3102.jpg

Ready to eat
IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

Observations:

• The coals lasted the entire cook and were almost totally consumed. I think I will heap them up higher in the springform pan next time to allow a margin of error. Using the springform pan provides a very even burn when using less coals and I therefore consider the experiment a success. I will use this method for short cooks in the future.
  • I think the ribs could have been sauced and wrapped at 1 1/2 hours.
  • I took the ribs off after cooking another 2 hours while wrapped. As we were taking these to a party I left them wrapped until ready to serve, which ended up being another 2 1/2 hours. When unwrapped they were still steaming and the meat was falling off the bone.
  • Fall off the bone was not what I intended for texture, but the taste was good.

For the romaine I did the trick where you move the coal basket up to the grill, then place a second grill on the rebar. Except I had a hard time getting the 2nd rebar over the coal basket and into the hole on the other side. I ended up just putting the rebar on top of the drum and placing the grill on that. Thankfully it didn't roll off while cooking :-D

It hit me last night that I have the ash catcher attached to the coal basket and that added height is just enough to interfere with the rebar.

So I went looking for firebrick to try Andrews half basket trick and I wasn't going to pay Lowe's and HD's price. If you live near a Menards they have a 6 pack for $15. I don't need 6 but better than the other prices I've seen.

It hit me last night that I have the ash catcher attached to the coal basket and that added height is just enough to interfere with the rebar.

I was think the same thing. When I used that trick I did not have the ash pan. But I did just get one for Father's Day so I will need to keep that in mind.

Thanks for the info!

Question - since I will fully cook brisket and let it rest and then start baby backs and chickens, would a heaping coal basket be enough for this or would I need to add some lit and unlit charcoal when putting the ribs and chicken on? If I should add - how much? Thanks.

Maybe a bit late but unless the brisket is on the small side it's going to be tough.

Back