THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have one rack of St Louis ribs I want to fire up today. Has anyone used the half basket approach for ribs and does it work? I'd like to avoid a whole basket of charcoal for one rack of ribs if possible.

I have one rack of St Louis ribs I want to fire up today. Has anyone used the half basket approach for ribs and does it work? I'd like to avoid a whole basket of charcoal for one rack of ribs if possible.

I don't think you'll get enough time using that method. I usually only get about 2-2.5 hours from it.

What I would do is not fill the basket up all the way. You'll have to eyeball it some and estimate.

I just thought of something. Below are two pictures. The first is the half basket method I usually use for short cooks. That method will only get about 2.5 hours of cook time. The second pic though will go longer because moving the bricks allows for more room. I bet you'd get 3.5 hours or possibly 4. But you can always move the brick a little farther back. That method might just get you what you are looking for.

Edit: I forgot I use to use that method (bottom pic). I may have to use it again next cook. ...:biggrin1:

Attachments

• 20151108_163759.jpg
    20151108_163759.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 455
  • 20150703_164750.jpg
    20150703_164750.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 457
I don't think you'll get enough time using that method. I usually only get about 2-2.5 hours from it.

What I would do is not fill the basket up all the way. You'll have to eyeball it some and estimate.

I just thought of something. Below are two pictures. The first is the half basket method I usually use for short cooks. That method will only get about 2.5 hours of cook time. The second pic though will go longer because moving the bricks allows for more room. I bet you'd get 3.5 hours or possibly 4. But you can always move the brick a little farther back. That method might just get you what you are looking for.

Edit: I forgot I use to use that method (bottom pic). I may have to use it again next cook. ...:biggrin1:

Thanks as always Andrew. I love this thread it has so much info. I've only had my PBC since Christmas as this has been a huge help. The fire bricks I bought only allow me to do the 2nd picture method (mine are the size of a standard brick). I'll take some pictures as I'm planning to enter the on the grill /smoker throwdown and next week I've got some plans for the noob throwdown too.

Thanks as always Andrew. I love this thread it has so much info. I've only had my PBC since Christmas as this has been a huge help. The fire bricks I bought only allow me to do the 2nd picture method (mine are the size of a standard brick). I'll take some pictures as I'm planning to enter the on the grill /smoker throwdown and next week I've got some plans for the noob throwdown too.

No problem. With the full bricks it may take a little longer to get hot, but I think it'll work fine otherwise. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm one hour in and temperature is holding around 305° +-5°
Edit: 3 hours in and they are almost done picture is just after adding sauce

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_192927296.jpg
    IMG_20160618_192927296.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I re-thought my position and I now know exactly where the PBC sits in the mix. It's pretty much at the top after I did some PBC chicken. Wow this may be some of the best chicken I've made. She will definitely get the call once a week. Here's some pRon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 174
Did my very first pork butt ever on the PBC. Came out great. My wife said she might give me my fathers day present early:wink:. She whipped up her jalapeno corn salad to run with it. Another success on my PBC. Best investment since I married my wife.

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

They came out great! I also hung the corn in tinfoil for about 40 minutes which was also really good. Next time I think I'll cook the corn without the foil and see what kind of smoke flavor it takes on.

Attachments

• IMG_20160618_202647359.jpg
    IMG_20160618_202647359.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 225
I re-thought my position and I now know exactly where the PBC sits in the mix. It's pretty much at the top after I did some PBC chicken. Wow this may be some of the best chicken I've made. She will definitely get the call once a week. Here's some pRon.

Lol.....I like it! That chicken looks great! PBC Is hard to beat!

Did my very first pork butt ever on the PBC. Came out great. My wife said she might give me my fathers day present early:wink:. She whipped up her jalapeno corn salad to run with it. Another success on my PBC. Best investment since I married my wife.

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

Looks like your living the High Life! :biggrin1:

They came out great! I also hung the corn in tinfoil for about 40 minutes which was also really good. Next time I think I'll cook the corn without the foil and see what kind of smoke flavor it takes on.

Yeah that looks very good! So the half basket worked well? How much coal was left??

Yeah that looks very good! So the half basket worked well? How much coal was left??

Half basket was fine. I started my coals around 4:45pm and now at 9:20 I've still got some coals left putting out heat, but not really enough at this point to keep cooking but the half basket was plenty for one rack of ribs.

Half basket was fine. I started my coals around 4:45pm and now at 9:20 I've still got some coals left putting out heat, but not really enough at this point to keep cooking but the half basket was plenty for one rack of ribs.

Nice! Glad it worked out!

The PBC is a chicken cooking machine. Even though I just got a Humphreys Pint for Father's day the PBC w8ll be my go to for chicken for ever.

Back