THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got a chance to check this out today. ..looks like the others have you covered dcimike. I was gonna say about an hour. My temp is usually about 300 for chicken.

Me too Mike. An hour and 15mins at my elevation. I usually hang the thighs though. Like D&D I take it to 170*+ IT. Every bit tender and moist.

20140805_182945.jpg

I like DCIMIke's hook tool and for anyone interested there is an alternative which I have been using for about 4 years now and had it even before the PBC. It's called the "Ott Tool" or "Ott Grill Tool" I bought off of Ebay. A very cool dude named William Ott out of NC is making them at home from 1/4" 304 stainless steel. It's sturdy and multipurpose. I even used it to lift Dutch oven lids.

UFlsO8Jh.png

Using it for the basket

g9Cs7qLh.png

For grates on all of my grills/smokers

1CXAC0sh.png

Hooks to table edges also

di7oXiSh.png

I'm trying to find out where my PBC sits in the mix. My 270 cooks as fast for ribs, butts and brisket. It is an awesome chicken cooker though I prefer to use the Kettle and vortex. Steaks and Chops the Kettle and Vortex get the call again. I guess it's a matter of flavor profile and getting more cooks in on it.

Happy to announce that I just purchased my very first PBC!!!!! Happy fathers day to me! I currently own a Weber gasser and thats it. Can't wait to cook on this thing.

Now for the hard part, waiting for it to show up. :-D

I'm trying to find out where my PBC sits in the mix. My 270 cooks as fast for ribs, butts and brisket. It is an awesome chicken cooker though I prefer to use the Kettle and vortex. Steaks and Chops the Kettle and Vortex get the call again. I guess it's a matter of flavor profile and getting more cooks in on it.

Sounds like you have too many cookers....lol
Not sure what to tell you....what about tri-tips or Cedar plank salmon?

Happy to announce that I just purchased my very first PBC!!!!! Happy fathers day to me! I currently own a Weber gasser and thats it. Can't wait to cook on this thing.

Now for the hard part, waiting for it to show up. :-D

Welcome! When do you expect it to be delivered?

Question - I've only done 3 chicken cooks on my PBC since I got it a few weeks ago. I've cracked the lid at the end for ~15 minutes to help crisp up the skin. Not really crispy enough to eat. Should I cook longer with lid cracked or put in grate and "grill" skin down until crispy? I don't want to lose out on eating all that spice flavor!

Looking to hopefully cook another brisket o. The pbc again. Last time I used Bludawg K.I.S.S method and it did not turn out well for me and I thought the others I cooked wrapping in foil were better although I have to admit it is not Dawgs method but so.edging I did. Since ce I will be trying that method again have any of you pbc users used this method and if so any advice on this method In conjunction with the pbc would be great.

Last edited:
Question - I've only done 3 chicken cooks on my PBC since I got it a few weeks ago. I've cracked the lid at the end for ~15 minutes to help crisp up the skin. Not really crispy enough to eat. Should I cook longer with lid cracked or put in grate and "grill" skin down until crispy? I don't want to lose out on eating all that spice flavor!

Here's what I do for crispy skin:

Load up the basket full and I mean full. After it cooks for about half hour I crack the lid open for about 30 seconds or so to let out the condensation that builds up in there. I repeat this every 15 mins or so after that until the chicken is ready to come off. You can leave the lid cracked the last few mins if you choose. Part of the reason meat comes out moist in the PBC is the naturally occurring condensation in the barrel.

If you leave the lid off longer you're going to increase temps and flare ups which will char or cook the surface more and the inside will be raw or not properly cooked. Trust me I know. :becky:

Looking to hopefully cook another brisket o. The pbc again. Last time I used Bludawg K.I.S.S method and it did not turn out well for me and I thought the others I cooked wrapping in foil were better although I have to admit it is not Dawgs method but so.edging I did. Since ce I will be trying that method again have any of you pbc users used this method and if so any advice on this method In conjunction with the pbc would be great.

The KISS method seems to work fine on other cookers but I don't know about the PBC.

I've never, I'll repeat never had a bad brisket off the PBC. It's fairly simple:

Hang until 160*IT or your desired bark if you care for the bark (up to 180* IT is fine)

Take it off and wrap it in butcher paper or foil (either work fine)

Put in on the grate and get til if probes like buttah at the thickest part of the flat. Usually 200-210* YMMV

Take it out and rest it for about an hour in an oven, microwave, cooler etc something insulated.

I've also served it after a rest of only 15 mins with fine results

Note: If you want to do burnt ends then you separate the point from flat, rest the flat as mentioned above but cube or cut the point, sauce or season and put it back on the PBC until the flat has finished resting and is ready to serve. Or the burnt ends can ride for longer after you've had brisket lunch or dinner for snacking. Point is very forgiving.

What's happenin folks?!?! Been swamped lately with work so I haven't been able to fire the PBC up but I think there's a law out there about being a father and not firing up the grill/smoker for father's day so I have some St. Louis spares ready to rock on Sunday! I was walking around a local store and found some Plowboys Yardbird and some Killer Hogs BBQ rub so I'll be giving the Killer Hogs a shot on Sunday. I know most folks like the Plowboys but what are the thoughts on the Killer Hogs?

What's happenin folks?!?! Been swamped lately with work so I haven't been able to fire the PBC up but I think there's a law out there about being a father and not firing up the grill/smoker for father's day so I have some St. Louis spares ready to rock on Sunday! I was walking around a local store and found some Plowboys Yardbird and some Killer Hogs BBQ rub so I'll be giving the Killer Hogs a shot on Sunday. I know most folks like the Plowboys but what are the thoughts on the Killer Hogs?

Welcome back and looking forward Deebo! Never had Killer Hogs but I like Malcolm Reed's style so it has to be good.

Back