THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks awesome man! What's your lighting procedure for straight lump cooks? I think I'm ready to start experimenting

Thanks Woodford! I use a propane torch for both lump and briquettes. Blast it for a few mins and wait for the dirty smoke to clear.

Very nice as usual Sako! Wow!

Hey I know you don't run thermometers, but did you notice a significant difference in heat using all lump?

I did a tri-tip and a pork loin in the PBC today. No pics though..:mmph:....By the way that Carne Asada rub rocked the tri-tip! :thumb:

Pimento ABTs finished. 5 with rub, 5 without. The rub was a little too salty with the bacon
20160612_175440.jpg

Butt hit 200 degrees at 5:30, exactly 7 hours after starting. It would have finished sooner but I removed from foil at 190 to firm the bark back up
20160612_181221.jpg

Pulled. I noticed more than usual bits of connective tissue and fat still in tact but it actually made the q less greasy. Still plenty moist and delicious
20160612_183021.jpg

Annnnd plated! That's a pimento cheese pulled pork and ABT Hawaiian bread slider
20160612_183634.jpg

My first long cook with the PBC got off to a rocky start but turned out great. The coolest part was that I didn't have to get up at 4 in the morning. I actually slept in!
On a side note, I checked the temp of the barrel and it was 230 degrees at 10:30pm- a full 12 hours after starting the cook.

Very nice as usual Sako! Wow!

Hey I know you don't run thermometers, but did you notice a significant difference in heat using all lump?

I did a tri-tip and a pork loin in the PBC today. No pics though..:mmph:....By the way that Carne Asada rub rocked the tri-tip! :thumb:

Thanks Andrew!

No significant difference with either type of fuel. I usually touch the lid or upper part of the barrel to get a feel of the heat level and it feels the same using briqs or lump. I don't know if you remember but on my V1 PBC I had put a thermometer and it ran the 275-325 range using either fuel.

Dang, no pics?? :biggrin1: Sounds awesome and I had a feeling it would. :thumb:

PBC Mod

I found one thing that needed some improvement and acted upon it. When I asked my wife to check it out, she said not the new $300 smoker. I corrected her as it was only $299.

Anyway, I needed a way to raise and lower a hot coal bin and devised this:
I welded a ring to the handle of the coal bin and got a piece of 5/16 stock and welded a handle and bent a hook for it. I can raise and lower it now with no problems.

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

Welds aren't the cleanest (flux core welder) but like Miller High Life, it gets the job done

Yes. I have the large chimney and it really doesn't work out well pouring the hot coals into the basket without removing the basket from the drum. It will also work out for a party where I don't want to let the smoker die. Pull out the bin of hot coals, remove the ash covered foil liner and reload.

OF course, the wife was bent when I said I did a mod to the new cooker but once she saw what I did she quickly got over it and told me to do the chicken she has brining.

I've noticed the same issue with the large chimney, in my last cook I was playing a "fun" game called pick up the coals that fell outside the coal basket using the rebars like chopsticks. Pain in the butt for sure....

I've noticed the same issue with the large chimney, in my last cook I was playing a "fun" game called pick up the coals that fell outside the coal basket using the rebars like chopsticks. Pain in the butt for sure....

Yup, I played that game a few times until I ordered the Weber Rapid fire chimney on Amazon which also holds the perfect amount of briquettes. Well worth the $$$ as it's so much easier to pour

That is what started me on finding a better way. Coulda ordered from amazon but for $5 in material and 5 min with the welder, my problem was solved

Hinged Grate

Hi!
I need to get a few photos of the official hinged grate for the PBC. If you could help me out it would be appreciated.

It’s for a review in the next issue of the BBQ Brethren magazine.

Thanks!

Is that carabiner stainless steel? If not you might want to consider swapping it out. I like the idea! I also purchased the mini chimney that fits 40 perfectly and dumping that proves much easier

Back