Persistence pays off.... 1st lamb, coming up

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
So... I've been torturing my co-workers for years with the food I've brought in in for years, right....
ABT's, MOINK, fatties, smoked turkey this, smoked beef that, grilled fish this, grilled pork that.....
You know the story. All the yummy things we talk about here, I bring for lunch at work.
Daily. :heh:

Well, the guy that sits directly to my left, close enough we literally rub elbows, has had enough.
The other day he asks me, "If I buy a leg of lamb, would you smoke it for me"?
"Sure, of course, no problem".
I've never smoked lamb. :shocked: But, I have no fear, as I have the Brethren to back me up, I have no worries. I looked at some older threads and gained a bunch of advice (although most of the images are gone :tsk:).

So.... the this ol guy (mid 60's) get on the internet and finds a place in Indiana that is SUPER organic. They not only raise the lamb, they raise the grain they feed to the lamb. I was impressed at his internet skills, to say the least. While I surf all day long, he doesn't get on much.

So while he's got the "buy now" screen up, he asked what I would want as "payment".
"Oh... Nothing really. Maybe a shank, as they're only $8". (I'm a bit modest)

He said he was going to buy me a $60 boneless leg of lamb as payment for smoking his leg of lamb! :shocked:

I rejected his offer, as that's too generous, but he persisted. "Ok, fine". :pray:
So Tuesday or Wednesday this coming week, I'll have two boneless legs of lamb. It'll be Sunday before I have a chance to fire up the smoker. Kinda worried about holding them that long. So I'd like thoughts on that one.
Otherwise, I think I might be ok on info, but I'm always willing to hear advise.
Photos will happen though, so don't worry about a payoff.
Cause... all threads in Q-Talk should have pics! :clap2:

I love lamb. I'm happy with just lamb I get at Costco.

But they should hold no problem for few days

I mix and match recipes from Steve raichlen and others. Garlic, rosemary, Oregano, other Mediterranean style seasoning work. Mid rare

Always crowd pleaser. Very simple recipes and I look better cook than I am

This is my opinion. (boneless, or leg-in - if leg in, I would de-bone it)

TRIM ALL VISIBLE FAT. Others disagree. Unless you raised it yourself and know it was 6 months old at kill, you will likely be cooking mutton. So - goodbye all fat.
SO - slivers of garlic all over, 2 heads at least, knife tip, slide the piece of garlic in.
Like a stuck pig.
Olive oil, minced garlic and minced ROSEMARY, S+P as an outside paste/ rub, make about 1/2 cup..
Maybe add some Dijon or other decent savory Mustard.
This is savory all the way, not sweet -

until after it's perfectly cooked, and PINK INSIDE, with a good crust outside..

have a dish of Mint Jelly on hand for old American folks who like that. No kidding.
Try it yourself, it changes the flavors.

Hot and fast, you will have strung it together ,pull at 130-135 ish. LET IT REST.
Titch and other Aussies will chime in.

Ohh... there we go... that's some great info!

I told my coworker that bone-in would be best, but it was NOT available.
Interesting your comment about taking it out anyway. Cool.

Based on images I've seen of the "done-ness" of the meat when the I.T. was posted, I was thinking that 135, wrap, rest area. The 125 was too red for he and I both.
I've seen a LOT of emphasis on the rest. I'm very cool with that. I rest EVERYTHING I cook.

Here's a funny anecdote; A few days ago, my neighbor brought me a Rosemary plant.
This is the first green thing I've ever tried to grow (besides trees and grass in the yard).
I was hesitant to take it, as I was sure I'd kill it.
Well.... next weekend, I'll be chopping that sucker up, and sticking it into a leg-o-lamb! :becky:

Lamb is one of the easier cooks. About as difficult as a pork butt. Only thing to watch is the finished temp.

Very good to know!
One thing I could not find, was a rough idea of time.
Is it (very roughly) about the same as a butt, at an hour per pound(ish)?

I'm thinking that the first opportunity I'll have to start the festivities will be about 1:00pm on Sunday (fire on at noon, meat on at 1:00).
Just making sure this isn't like a brisket where I'll be finishing very late at night.

The two people I think of when you say Leg o Lamb are Titch and SSV3. Seen them both do fantastic legs.

Might wanna pm them for info.

Take this as my thoughts.
It is a Back leg of lamb?
Your Temps that you posted are good , Me? I hate Rosemary but others love it.
We cook our Legs here at home ( Von and I )at about 40 minutes at 400f, seal the outside then turn down to 290f. for about 3 hours, then in an esky/cooler for an hour.
That's bone in and we don' temp the meat.
Back legs likes to be less cooked than front leg/ shoulder.
Cook the fronts/shoulder to pulling if you like.
Wow your mates and serve in flat breads with Garlic Yoghurt and cheese and Lettuce.
Sliced Leg with mint sauce is almost a religion here with us Older ones.
Keep the seasoning simple, lemon is always good.
Have fun , get rid of any yellow fat and gristle

BTW
I love a Grilled Boned leg of Lamb over coals, butterfly it.Open it up like a flat brisket.
Char then move to the side to cook through

Ohh... there we go... that's some great info!

I told my coworker that bone-in would be best, but it was NOT available.
Interesting your comment about taking it out anyway. Cool.

Based on images I've seen of the "done-ness" of the meat when the I.T. was posted, I was thinking that 135, wrap, rest area. The 125 was too red for he and I both.
I've seen a LOT of emphasis on the rest. I'm very cool with that. I rest EVERYTHING I cook.

Here's a funny anecdote; A few days ago, my neighbor brought me a Rosemary plant.
This is the first green thing I've ever tried to grow (besides trees and grass in the yard).
I was hesitant to take it, as I was sure I'd kill it.
Well.... next weekend, I'll be chopping that sucker up, and sticking it into a leg-o-lamb! :becky:

It's a back leg of lamb,so it lacks connective tissue or collagen. Do it like a loin of pork, or suffer the consequences, Bob.
Stab it all over.Insert garlic and rosemary, anchovies and capers, lemon zest, insert a probe and cook at hot and fast to 125 F.
Let it rest till it hits 130-135, and slice it and serve the juices over it.
You can't 'seal' it by cooking it hot first.
You can't improve it by cooking it low and slow to higher I.T's.
Roast potatoes and onions are a great accompaniment

Back