Pellet composition

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I do not use a pellet pooper but have started using the Amaze-n tube regularly.
Today I bought a 20 # bag og B&B cherry pellets and Apple pellets.
Reading the backside of label says ....Our B&B food grade "Pellet Grill Fuel" is made from 100% wood, premium "OAK" blended with flavor wood as indicated on front of bag
I have a bag from Kingsford with similar language. I have used B&B products for several years with no complaints. Does anyone out there have any input to the effects of this method of producing pellets. Is there any recommendations of a better product.
My only cooker is a 22" WSM, and my main cook is beef jerky.

There is much debate on this subject. 100% hardwood is a common one. I won't say the brand but, got their apple and it just states 100% hardwood. It does not state nor refute if it is all apple or another hardwood added as filler. Other brands are whatever wood with floavor oils added. I played around with different pellets for a long time and have just Smoke Ring once again 100% hickory, no additives or fillers. As an added bonus for me is made in Michigan. I am paying just under $24 for 40 lbs.

Some brands use a base wood, mostly for the BTU's mixed with whatever flavor wood, usually 60/40 mix. Other pellets will be labeled 100% Cherry or Maple or whatever variety. Those are in fact 100% the variety you purchased. Is a combination bad? Not necessarily, try it and see how it works for you.

For example, BBQer's Delight is a mixture, but a LOT of competition BBQ teams have won a lot of money over the years using their pellets in their FEC-100's.

Lumber Jack pellets are 100% of what they state. Their Hickory is 100% Hickory, Cherry is 100% Cherry, etc. Their blends are 100% wood and their website states the percentage of the woods in them. As already stated some brands will say “Cherry” but it’s actually a blend with as little as 20% cherry.

It matters to me, some folks cant taste shat if they had a mouthful lol I burn LJ most of the time but there are a lot of good pellets out there, never had any that didn't work well, some work better than others imo

but does it really mater :noidea:

Very good point as well. Doesn't matter what you get if you are happy with the end product. I just like to know what I am getting up front and do mix my own pellet blends at time. I have never had any pellet bbq where I thought I had to throw it out :laugh:

My main issue with different pellets is the amount of ash they leave behind. I had used Lumber Jack MHC (maple, hickory, cherry) with good results. Tried their OHC blend (oak, hickory, cherry) and noticed it produced considerably more ash and have not used it since. Lately I've been using LJ 100% Maple.

My main issue with different pellets is the amount of ash they leave behind. I had used Lumber Jack MHC (maple, hickory, cherry) with good results. Tried their OHC blend (oak, hickory, cherry) and noticed it produced considerably more ash and have not used it since. Lately I've been using LJ 100% Maple.

The ash issue was one of the main things that led me to buying my current pellet smoker.

A bonus is that the same door that makes ash removal so easy also lets me reach in with a handful of pellets and prime my basket for quick startups on cold January mornings in Idaho.

I would never go back to a pellet smoker that doesn't have an ash clean out door.

For me it's all about heat, ash and amount of flavor.

Has anybody done a reasonably scientific taste comparison? Two identical cookers, everything identical in each except for pellets, etc., and then a blind, or, better yet, double blind, taste comparison? I've seen lots of YouTube BBQ videos that compare this or that, but I don't recall a single one that seemed truly scientific.

Back