Partially frozen brisket cook on the PBC

JJJBBQ

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
J
Missus has been wanting to replace the garage beer and meat fridge with a chest freezer. Promised her we could do it when I emptied it out this summer during BBQ season. Pulled out a 16 lb Costco prime brisket out of the freezer on Wednesday for today. Meant to start defrosting on Monday. The Missus also arranged a mental health day and went out with one of her friends. Also on childcare duties since there’s no school on Fridays this year. Hopefully, she plans on coming back home some time today. There’s a good chance she just waits until Monday when the kids are back in school. We’ll see.

Brisket was still mostly frozen last night when I trimmed it. Probably half frozen this morning. Thanks to some research on the BBQ Brethren forum, learned that it (hopefully) won’t be a problem.

Usually I go with just salt, pepper, and garlic powder for brisket, but ran out of coarse ground black pepper. Olive oil slather with some salt and a random BBQ rub in an unlabeled container. Smelled pretty good. Hoping spices don’t have an expiration date. I’m also spring cleaning the spice rack apparently.

Lots of unknown variables going on with this cook and clearly woefully unprepared. Threw it fat side down on the PBC grates. Didn’t think I’d be able to force hooks in a half frozen hunk o’ meat. And I needed a cooker I wouldn’t have to tend too much. Pretty sure I’ll be playing judge, jury, and distributor of time outs and punitive chores all day today.

T-minus 3 hours and 34 minutes before I won’t feel like a (complete) degenerate and crack open the first beer of the day.

Wish me luck (on the cook and surviving the day)!

Whoops. Forgot the pic. Brisket looks as stiff as a board!

Attachments

• 19D9F4E9-5A5E-4854-BD79-7BDD0D41FAFC.jpg
    19D9F4E9-5A5E-4854-BD79-7BDD0D41FAFC.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 127
You'll be fine with more beer.

Wrap at 160°-170° and take it 'til it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat.

Good luck!

Your colorful description of your cook today brought a smile to my face. Good luck bud. I am sure the brisket will be moist and tender, the kids will be angelic

Only 1Hr and 57 minutes to go! You got this! Or, if you make it into a michelada it's perfectly acceptable to drink one of those in the AM

Your colorful description of your cook today brought a smile to my face. Good luck bud. I am sure the brisket will be moist and tender, the kids will be angelic

They latest about 2 hrs indoors doing homework. Then had to kick them out when they started fighting. Now sitting at a park after a picnic lunch to get some of their energy out. Just letting the PBC do it’s thing. Will wrap (brisket, not kids) when we get home and start cracking open some adult beverages as a reward for the baby sitter!

Managed to make a simple chimichurri potato salad before the fighting began. Wanted to get as much prep done before the day got too hectic. Used leftover chimichurri from a flank steak cook earlier in the week. Tossed with Mayo, celery, and green onion.

Attachments

• 7A03F454-4799-4E98-B9D0-834F11CADA4D.jpg
    7A03F454-4799-4E98-B9D0-834F11CADA4D.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 94
Looking good especially that chimichurri potato salad. I am in the same boat with my brisket but, I won't be putting on until midnight or so. Hoping it will be thawed the whole way too.

Results are in and the Brethren would never lead me astray! Turned out pretty darn acceptable. A touch underseasoned which I attribute to the Frankenstein rub mix I used. Served up central Texas style with sliced onion and dill pickles. A friend from work gifted me some pickled sweet jalapeños which were added to the plate. Slice or two of Wonder bread to complete the meal.

Attachments

• 5C8E7FE2-262E-4557-B1D4-CC2CDDD07DE7.jpg
    5C8E7FE2-262E-4557-B1D4-CC2CDDD07DE7.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 54B53734-1BF4-4FBE-AFC8-501D77E47DEB.jpg
    54B53734-1BF4-4FBE-AFC8-501D77E47DEB.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 53
Back