Frozen Brisket

Caper

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi, I have never smoked a brisket, watched loads of videos and feel excited to try it out. I was gifted a frozen brisket that was cut in half, I have the thicker end. Is the cut side going to be an issue? Will I lose all the juice through that end? Any suggestions to change the cooking method to account for this? Thanks for the benefit of your experience. Peace, FMK

Last edited:
He actually cut in have vertically, so I guess I got half of both muscles (?)

Just pretend it’s whole - not much different than the guys who'll trim the sides of the brisket off and round the flat off.

Last edited:
and-we-wait-corey-vidal.gifh

Yes. You might want to quickly sear the cut end so it seals in the juices.

Sorry, but this is a myth. Searing will create a Maillard reaction. It will not and does not "seal in juices".

When the piece of meat is hot, cutting it before resting will cause the juices to escape before being reabsorbed.

When the meat is cold you can cut it and cook it without fear of juices escaping from the cut end. Guess what, all the sides are cut!:blabla:

He actually cut in have vertically, so I guess I got half of both muscles (?)

tX41jIJ.jpg

This is a smooth move amongst Briskateers. Heck, I do the long cut all the time. Absolutely no worries at all, and the bigger the better. But, I suggest you jamb the halves together when you barbecue them, and keep the meat kind of moist.

Because steers have a RH and LH brisket, you will always have more point muscle on one half than the other. So, plan on which one you eat now, and which half you freeze for later (or give to your neighbor). I wrap separately, and vent, then quick chill the freezer one, but I re-seal the foil pouch and wrap. This makes re-heating easier, because you still have the juices.

jxyCXtA.jpg

Fast forward 7+ hours, now you can see the larger portion of point in the foreground half.

FMeGgsk.jpg

Now, you might ask.... "is there a downside to the long cut?" Well, sort of. Your flat slices are shorter than usual. And you need to adjust the point cubes accordingly so there is enough to go around. Bottom line is... it eats pretty good.

J2XbW0Z.jpg

Sorry, but this is a myth. Searing will create a Maillard reaction. It will not and does not "seal in juices".

When the piece of meat is hot, cutting it before resting will cause the juices to escape before being reabsorbed.

When the meat is cold you can cut it and cook it without fear of juices escaping from the cut end. Guess what, all the sides are cut!:blabla:

jokes-joke.gif

Back