Options for replacement grill grates?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Among my cookers is a Weber gasser that I keep replacing the porcelain-covered cast iron. The regular replacements are great until the porcelain cracks and starts coming off and the underlying cast iron rusts etc.

What other options should I consider? Grill Grates(TM) are anodized aluminum. But they're pricey. Those who have them love them, but I'm hoping to get some advice from a variety of brethren who can tell me the pros and cons or those as well as any other type of replacement grate I might consider to extend the life of my grill.

TIA

Rcplanebuyer on eBay makes some really heavy duty looking stainless grates. Rave reviews over at Weber virtual bullet site.

I have grillgrates on my gasser and I use it almost exclusively for grilling fish. The wide bars and deep channels make flipping fish really easy. The grillgrates are a quality product that will probably last a lifetime.

Don't know which Weber gasser you have, but you might look at the Gourmet BBQ series by Weber. The gasser versions are made of stainless steel rod and should last a real long time.

If you really want to go all out and never have to buy grates again, find RCPlanebuyer on Ebay (or PM me and I'll give you his direct contact info.) He makes SS rod grates out of 304 and they are 3/8th inch rod.

If you don't mind cast iron, I got mine for my charcoal weber from Craycort. They make standard grates for square grills also.

The key to keeping them from rusting is to season them and keep them clean. But an occasional rust spot will show up and is easily cleaned with some steel wool. I use that as an excuse to fire up the grill to season them again and then grill some meat.

FWIW I just started using Grill Grates and am very satisfied..no more flare up and scorched chicken thighs.

Same here. Being able to do a lot of chicken wings with no flair ups is really nice.

NdGJrLwl.jpg

I had GrillGrates on my gasser and loved them. Yes, they are pricey, but they'll probably outlast your grill. Pay once, cry once...

I don't know why anyone would ever replace a grate with anything other than grill grate. They are worth every penny.

Grill Grates seem like they might be good for some people. But they seem pretty much the same as the system that Broil King calls "Flav-R-Wave™ Cooking System" already built into my gasser.

I have been using Grill Grates replacement grates on my gasser for several months. I have been very happy with them. They heat up quickly and are hotter than the original grates. I have not experienced any flare ups. I have also turned them over and used them as a make shift griddle (although with holes) for more delicate food.

Back