One grill/smoker for backyard kitchen?

synfinatic

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Aaron
Hi Everyone- I'm new here to the Brethren and found this forum when I was researching a new grill/smoker.

I've been using a 23" Weber charcoal grill + 18" WSM for many years. They work great and I get amazing results with them. If I were buying the WSM again, I'd get the 22" (only the 18" was available when I bought mine). The 23" grill seems fine 95% of the time when I'm doing 2-zone grilling since for larger groups we tend to smoke. Of course I don't really have grill capacity for when we have larger groups over. As a smoker, the WSM could be better- definitely wish there was more insulation so it wasn't impacted by cold nights when I'm doing an 18hr turducken or hot sunny days during the summer.

Wife and I are planning to do a major remodel of our backyard. Would like to have a built in kitchen area and not deal with rolling round or finding a place to store the grills when not in use. For aesthetics, would like something built in if possible rather than on it's own cart. My wife wants a builtin gas grill for quick sears when she's cooking and doesn't want to deal with lighting/waiting for the charcoal. The things we do for love! Hence my goal to try to find one charcoal grill/smoker that can also go into the kitchen since we won't have room for 2 grills + 1 dedicated smoker.

My buddy has a Traeger (well 2, the first one died) and yeah, it's idiot proof when it works, but they seem to have reliability issues over time and can't do a proper sear. Hard pass.

The Weber Summit would probably work, but there's no built in option, so no.

So I've been looking at various Kamodo style grills which can be built in. Having to deal with moving meat around different grates/levels seems super annoying- especially since we often grill 3-4 nights a week about 6 months out of the year when the weather is nice and then smoke about 5 times a year. Would probably smoke more often if I didn't have to babysit the WSM so much.

But looks like some of the larger Kamodo's (Primo Oval, Big Joe, Monolith Le-Chef) can do a proper 2-zone setup. I'm a bit turned off by the painted steel parts which will rust over time on the Primo/Big Joe so I was leaning towards the Monolith.

Then I saw the Kamodo Komodo grills... oh my, those are nice (quality and looks). $$$ but so is a backyard remodel. With something like that, it becomes a center piece of the outdoor kitchen, not some ugly thing I want to cover up and hide. Not going to say it's worth the $$$, but I'm not trying to rationalize it.

Anyways, we haven't figured out a design for the backyard yet, so I've still got time to consider other options. What else have I missed? Other good charcoal grill + smoker options other then a Kamodo?

Back