Offset smokers

I'm new here, so take it easy on me. Would any of you consider a Peoria cooker? Perhaps one of their MMIF models?

Nothing wrong with Peoria custom cookers. Actually they are top notch. I was considering one until I changed my mind when I decided to go with the Lone Star vertical offset. LSG vertical is smaller footprint, huge capacity and frankly TX is closer to me than IL.

I'm new here, so take it easy on me. Would any of you consider a Peoria cooker? Perhaps one of their MMIF models?

I sure would consider a Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster or MMIF. Those are well built and completely insulated (fire box and cooking chamber). Set and forget. The Meat Monster has 2 stacks to control the flow of heat/smoke (high and low).

But all of the pits mentioned in this thread have great reputations. I'm a reverse flow guy so if I were to buy again it would be hard to resist a Shirley product.

Hello!
I'm in New Jersey so to avoid shipping charges am considering a Meadow Creek TS70P - anyone have one and can offer any recommendations?

Thank you,

Scott

I sure would consider a Peoria Custom Cookers Meat Monster or MMIF. Those are well built and completely insulated (fire box and cooking chamber). Set and forget. The Meat Monster has 2 stacks to control the flow of heat/smoke (high and low).

But all of the pits mentioned in this thread have great reputations. I'm a reverse flow guy so if I were to buy again it would be hard to resist a Shirley product.

I have looked at the MMIF video and I'm very impressed. I hate to ask such a rookie question, but what are the advantages to Reverse Flow versus something like the MMIF?

I currently have 3 Yoder Offset Smokers: the Cheyenne in Texas; the Santa Fe and the Loaded Wichita in New Mexico. Everyone, performs very well. Pound for Pound, the Cheyenne, the smallest in the line of backyard smokers, is the most versatile if you are cooking for 2 to 10 people. Each one include the heat management plate for even heat distribution which is the key to any kind of smoking food.

We all have our personal preferences and experiences so all of the above mentioned choices within this thread would be more than satisfactory.

Any of the 3 mentioned in the OP, as well as others mentioned, are great cookers, and folks tend to be very happy with any of those.

I would be thinking about how much cooking space you need and what options are available for the money and see what's right for you, because you most likely won't be disappointed with any of these builders - you just have to figure out what size and features are important to you. Do you want even temps all across or zones? Do you want a warmer (I love mine on my Klose)? How much capacity to you need? Does it need to be a trailer rig? How important is fuel efficiency? etc. and so on. Will you be cooking whole hogs and what size? Diameter would be a big consideration for that.

Hello!
I'm in New Jersey so to avoid shipping charges am considering a Meadow Creek TS70P - anyone have one and can offer any recommendations?

Thank you,

Scott

Wouldn't trade my TS120 for any other mentioned (especially taking shipping into consideration)

My order of preference would be Jambo > Gator > Lang.

The Jambo pits are really really high quality (the trailer pits are...I can't speak for the backyard pits). I wish I had considered one when I bought my Klose, which I've grown to dislike for a number of reasons. A friend of mine has a 24" Gator Pit and the build quality is better than Klose in my opinion. It's a solid pit with nice attention to detail. I haven't seen a Lang up close but if you're considering a reverse flow, Shirley Fabrication seems like the better choice. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Bubba grills, the new models have the counter going the full length, the older models had the lower door option so you could shovel some coals in while it was lit. (If you were smoking and grilling) The gas is for the two burners up front and the fire starter in the firebox

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 96
I think the first decision is reverse flow or not. Besides the ability to vary temps, a straight offset gives you the option to grill in the main chamber (the Party Gator is an example). Without seeing any of these first hand but doing lots of research, I would put Gator first.

That said, my 24x48 Lone Star Grillz ships tomorrow. I'm not doing competitions and there is a definite price difference between LSG and Gator.

You can vary your temps from end to end on an RF cooker.

It'll take some playing around to figure it out. But by raising or lowering the front of the pit, if it's a trailer model, can give you much different heat zones.

Just tossing that out there

Back