Oakridge BBQ- Texas Red Chili Mix

I really want to try it. But........... I know that you mentioned that you can't comment on the heat because of other stuff you added, I tend to make my chili wimpy and let people add their own heat, as tastes are all over the place in family. A mild heat is ok. But anything more than that probably is a no go.

The recipe calls for 1 cup of seasoning, which is very spicy for sure, too spicy for my family. I tried a 1/2 cup of seasoning, but it lacked a little flavor, but the spice was mild (probably perfect for you). I settled on 3/4 of a cup, which was perfect for me, but still spicy and tolerable up until the last bite.

There's such good flavors in that spice mix. I would try making your normal chili recipe and adding 1/4 cup of Oakridge's chili spice into it. I bet it will take it to the next level.

Heat tolerance levels are so independent it’s really hard for me to give advice on how much to use. My first batch was really warm but thinking that was the nuclear Poblano I roasted and chopped. Yesterday’s batch I swagged quite a bit and bloomed the Oakridge Texas Chili Seasoning in a beer(Miller Lite).
From the very start of Mr Trumps Youtube video he speaks of customizing to the individual taste. This mix has no salt no sugar. Adjust-add-delete to suit your tastes. The chile flavor in the chili mix is pretty amazing. I’m always MSU Mode cooking.

My wife loves Chiles however she prefers mild. So I cook to her taste and add heat to mine.

What I cooked yesterday was a solid medium. Wife enjoy the heat level but said it was in the upper end. I thought it perfect.

So I’ve Bloomed the Oakridge Chili Mix In
Stock and Beer. Next Bloom I plan to use coffee.
I also plan to add a tablespoon to my next Goulash cook

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. A couple of good suggestions.

Like stated above my Bride likes chiles but not high heat. The one she like best from a box is Two Alarm and leave out the cayenne packet and only use half or even none of the paprika packet. Williams Chili in the foil packets is mild as well as Bolners Fiesta Chili Mix. Then there is Mexene and Gebhardt also mild imho. Mild Bills makes another.

I’ve a friend that makes his chili with mild enchilada sauce and Old El Paso Taco Seasoning.

However I’d encourage everyone to give this Oakridge BBQ Texas Chili Mix a try. I have several options for chili mix in my pantry including those mentioned above. The Oakridge is really good. And like said above no salt no sugar and when the majority of my chili cooks use previously smoked meats that are already seasoned, this helps

:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

THAT just made me shoot Wild Turkey out'a my nose!!

Post of the day!

I’ve read lots of good things about Mike’s chili powder. Gonna have to order some and put it head to head in a blind taste test against Hammet...

Back