Oakridge BBQ- Texas Red Chili Mix

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Ordered a pound of Oakridge Texas Red Chili Mix during one of their Holiday sales events. Today’s the day. 11* outside. I’ve followed instructions “for the most part”. My meat is 1.17# of recent leftover ground sirloin-cubed flanken and cubed flatiron. As well remains of a Poblano.

1 can chicken stock
1/4 cup brisket jelly
2 mini boxes spiced tomato sauce
Simmered then added
1/2 cup Oakridge Texas Red Chili Mix And whisked
Removed from heat, covered 12-15 minutes
Return to heat
Added meat and added one teaspoon kosher salt
Now stir every 15 minutes for one hour on simmer.

Way early in Mikes instructional Chili Mix info sheet he encourages cooks to make it your own. For me to follow a recipe this close is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Tasted Oakridge BBQ Chili Mix 4 Ways

Just chili
Just chili with American Cheese
Just chili with crackers
Just chili with Regular Fritos

There is no bad way to enjoy this chili mix, all ways were excellent. l plan to save the small remaining for chili dog chili.

What I found interesting were the flavor(s) Of The chili mix. You can tell you’re eating a quality Chile/chili product not just a salt overload blend. Controlling the salt at the stove is nice. While I often use fresh ground beef I use a lot of previous smoked grilled meats in my chili which are already seasoned so that must be taken into account.

Too hot Too Mild? I can’t really answer as the roasted Poblano I used was one of the hottest I’ve had in a while.

Some of the best chili I’ve eaten.

Top shelf Chili Mix

Last edited:
Looks outstanding and another solid endorsement. I've got a bag and planning to do it with chuck but hopefully the temps will be cooler as we're warming up.

Nice write up, Adams - Ima order some soon!

That last pic shows a fine looking bowl of chili! I like a blend of meats as well, usually ground beef and cube chuck. Substitute a beer for the chicken broth.

Excellent.

I'm doing a hot dog bar on Saturday, and am intending to make the Oakridge chili to the T. Chili dogs if people want, or a bowl of chili on the side.

This will be extremely different for me, as my chili usually involves cans of beans, stewed/diced tomatoes, rotel, onions, peppers and the kitchen sink.

Fritos are fer winners...crackers are fer who ever is left rundown and broken by the crunch a cracker...whispers...
Mainstay is the scoop, but a healthy mitt of chili cheese could cause a pause. A cracker? That's like running out of beer.

-D

Excellent.

I'm doing a hot dog bar on Saturday, and am intending to make the Oakridge chili to the T. Chili dogs if people want, or a bowl of chili on the side.

This will be extremely different for me, as my chili usually involves cans of beans, stewed/diced tomatoes, rotel, onions, peppers and the kitchen sink.

I love a good chili dog.Lately I prefer the chili on the side for some reason or just pour the chili and other condiments over the dogs on a plate sans buns.Open face chili dogs if you will.

Have made it twice. Once with hamburger and once with coarse chili meat. Prefer the texture of the chili meat over hamburger but both times very good.

I seldom use straight chili grind but do love blending it in for a couple different textures. If I use brisket it’s usually the point in smaller cubes and about 25% of the pot. I don’t make the giant 4# pots anymore usually cooking 1-2# batches. I used to have a blender that I swear would liquify a shoe. I’d put smoked meat a Chipotle in there and make a slurry and add it to the pot. Liquified chipotle brisket added to ground meat chili grind or burger really amps the beef flavor.

Chili really is custom made for The MSU Life. You’re only limited by your imagination

I seldom use straight chili grind but do love blending it in for a couple different textures. If I use brisket it’s usually the point in smaller cubes and about 25% of the pot. I don’t make the giant 4# pots anymore usually cooking 1-2# batches. I used to have a blender that I swear would liquify a shoe. I’d put smoked meat a Chipotle in there and make a slurry and add it to the pot. Liquified chipotle brisket added to ground meat chili grind or burger really amps the beef flavor.

Chili really is custom made for The MSU Life. You’re only limited by your imagination

This may be the reason that I haven't been able to find a great chili recipe (and the fact my wife won't eat many things at all and hates any spice). My imagination of throwing things together struggles. Definitely unlike yourself Adams and all your great MSU adventures.

I really want to try it. But........... I know that you mentioned that you can't comment on the heat because of other stuff you added, I tend to make my chili wimpy and let people add their own heat, as tastes are all over the place in family. A mild heat is ok. But anything more than that probably is a no go.

Back