Not-Q: Uncle Bobby's Pork Debris

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Uncle Bobby is not my uncle. He's my best friend. So much so that my kids call he and his wife "Uncle" and "Aunt". And vice-versa with his kids and me and my wife. We go on vacations together, etc.

My family is Cajun-French and German. Bobby's family is Creole-French and Italian. We met in college but didn't become really good friends until we graduated. He and I both love to cook, but each have our own swim lanes. I have always been the grill and smoke guy and he has always been the fry or Italian guy. We both boil seafood very well. When we get together, one of us always takes the lead and the other supports, depending on what we're making.

In Cajun speak, we have a thing we call an "Envie" (pronounced "Ohn-Vee"). In Texas, they would call it a "hankering", but that's not exactly it. Envie means that you have something in mind, but you won't be satisfied until you have it.

Today I had an envie for Uncle Bobby's Creole-Italian Pork Debris. Unfortunately, I am in Virginia, and he is in Louisiana. I called him and had him walk me through making it.

We start with cut up pork picnic:
picture.php

I put the bone in, but saved the skin for later:
picture.php

Then we cut up onion, bell pepper, celery, and Roma tomatoes:
picture.php

Uncle Bobby likes garlic:
picture.php

Everything goes in a pot with chicken and beef stock.
picture.php

Then we simmer for 4 hours until the pork is falling apart:
picture.php

We serve it on a toasted pistolette with mayo, pickles, and shredded cabbage.
picture.php

The kids love having Uncle Bobby's Debris and my envie has been satisfied.

Looks good! The word I would use to describe the way you felt is craving, as in “I’m craving uncle Bobby’s pork debris.”

Back