Cubans!

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I had an incredible Cuban sandwich while in Florida and I've been kind of hung up on them since. I made my own and they were tasty. I couldn't find Cuban bread but I read French bread is a good substitute. No pulled pork so I added extra ham. Swiss, hot mustard/mayo combo, and dill pickles. I used Smashzilla, my 7 pound press on the Weber griddle (I said I was going to review this griddle but never did. I'll just say it's sweet). Some Lay's original and I'm well satisfied. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_153030505.jpg
    IMG_20230924_153030505.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20230924_171932516.jpg
    IMG_20230924_171932516.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20230924_175736221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230924_175736221_HDR.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20230924_181940320.jpg
    IMG_20230924_181940320.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 241
Nice lookin' Cubano sammich!

How did yours stack up compared to the one in FL that you liked?

I ask, as one of my part time hobbies is trying to duplicate various restaurant creations, particularly sauces and salsas. I've done well or better than the original with some, and others failed miserably and will probably never get close!

Nice lookin' Cubano sammich!

How did yours stack up compared to the one in FL that you liked?

I ask, as one of my part time hobbies is trying to duplicate various restaurant creations, particularly sauces and salsas. I've done well or better than the original with some, and others failed miserably and will probably never get close!
The ones in Florida beat mine handily but I'm sure their quality of meat was better. The ham tasted smoked and it had pulled pork on it too. I'm looking forwards to making them again soon.

I thought this was going to be about a different kind of cubans. The sandwich looks great though!

Cigar-Smoke.jpg

Cuban,,,one of my most favorite sammiches ever.Your sammich looks tastee.I want to try a REAL CUBAN sammich one day but not enough to go to Florida!!!

As a native Floridian, even if not from the part where Cuban sandwiches are much more prevalent, you were pretty close. While you may have had one that used pulled pork, its not the way its typically done. If you wanted to get closer to the ones you would find in Tampa or Miami, use roast pork. The way I make mine is on a rotisserie in the air fryer. Tenderloin seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and cut into thin medallions. If you want to go the easier route, you can often find roast pork in the deli sections at grocery stores. Also, you want something along the lines of tavern ham or something with less sweetness than most off the shelf hams that have a good amount of sugar added to them.

Ill give you a pass for the mayo since some areas absolutely use it. I personally hate mayo so I definitely avoid it in mine, but to each their own. I also use plain old yellow mustard in it. Its one of the few ways I think it is the best mustard option.

Such a great combo of flavors.

As a native Floridian, even if not from the part where Cuban sandwiches are much more prevalent, you were pretty close. While you may have had one that used pulled pork, its not the way its typically done. If you wanted to get closer to the ones you would find in Tampa or Miami, use roast pork. The way I make mine is on a rotisserie in the air fryer. Tenderloin seasoned with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder and cut into thin medallions. If you want to go the easier route, you can often find roast pork in the deli sections at grocery stores. Also, you want something along the lines of tavern ham or something with less sweetness than most off the shelf hams that have a good amount of sugar added to them.

Ill give you a pass for the mayo since some areas absolutely use it. I personally hate mayo so I definitely avoid it in mine, but to each their own. I also use plain old yellow mustard in it. Its one of the few ways I think it is the best mustard option.

Such a great combo of flavors.
It may have been roasted pork I dunno. It was shredded and had a slight smoky flavor but not as strong as smoked pork butt. I just assumed it was pulled pork. I love the mayo/hot mustard combo. They were whipped together to form a creamy mustard sauce. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to continue my Cuban adventure for sure.

Back