Not Q - Creole Seafood (w/ Pron Jeremy!)

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
It has been a while since I did a full recipe thread. Tonight I had what Louisiana folks call an "envie" (pronounced "on-vee"). In means that your in the mood for something and won't be satisfied until ya get it.

Tonight I had an envie for Creole courtbouillon. It is different than the classic French dish of the same name. Cajuns have a version they call "couvillion" which is very close. I took lots of pics for y'all.

We start with the "Trinity" - onion, celery, and bell pepper. We also bring a jalapeno and lemon for good measure.

picture.php

Next I chopped everything to make my "mise en place"

picture.php

Then I defrosted some fumet ("fu-may"), which is a concentrated fish stock with white wine. I made this one from speckled trout carcasses a few weeks ago.

picture.php

Then I peeled some large shrimp to make a shrimp stock.

picture.php

I added the trimmings from the trinity, some bay leaves, garlic, and peppercorns, covered with cool water, and brought to a gentle simmer.

picture.php

picture.php

Next I started sweating my trinity in a skillet with a half stick of butter and added a couple cloves of minced garlic.

picture.php

Time to make a roux... I use butter when making roux for seafood. Just 1/4 c butter and 1/4 c flour. Courtbouillion is not too thick.

picture.php

When the roux got somewhere between peanut butter and copper colored, I hit it with a spoonful of tomato paste and stirred in two cups of fumet.

picture.php

Then I incorporated my sweated trinity and added shrimp stock to get the consistency I wanted. Then I seasoned with salt, pepper, thyme, 1/2 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp clove. The allspice and clove are important, but you cannot over do them.

This dish calls for my good rice!

picture.php

In Louisiana, I never would have dreamed of *buying* :doh: fish, but here in NOVA, that is what I had to do. Rockfish seems to be the closest thing to my redfish back home, so that's what I bought.

picture.php

picture.php

I cut them into even portions so that I could poach them and the shrimp in my courtbouillion:

picture.php

Time to poach ~8 min.

picture.php

Serve over rice and it is time to eat! :hungry:

picture.php

Thanks for looking!

David

I am really glad my Good Friend ain't turned 100% yankee! Love the color of that Roux! The real deal! Hope y'all are doing well and Merry Christmas David!

Pro-tip: If you make a large batch of sauce, you can freeze it for later. Then next time you have fish, you just heat up the sauce and poach your seafood in it.

Regards,

David

Outstanding, David! :thumb:

I spent a little over a year in Lafayette as a teen. We had a Cajun land lady who had us over every Sunday for dinner. I couldn't get enough of that cooking. :-D

I am speechless after that cook! If I have an envie for anything, I pop it in the microwave. You took this to a whole different level, and time zone, for that matter. My hat is definitely off to you for the cook, the pics, and especially, the final plate. C'est magnifique!!

Back