[not] Johnsonville Hatch Brats

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
The Johnsonville Hatch Chile brats thead got me hankerin’ for some Hatch chile sausages so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I bought about 1.5lbs of hot Hatch chiles from the grocery store, then roasted them on the Primo. I ground up a 9lb Prairie Fresh Boston butt and used 5lbs of it for the sausage. Seasoned with a couple ounces of Sausage Maker bratwurst seasoning and used a cup of nonfat dry milk for a binder. Stuffed into natural sausage casings and left overnight in the fridge open-air. I smoked several of them on the Primo today, indirect around 250* using pecan wood chips. I ate one and dunked the rest in a pot of ice water to quick chill and eat another day.

They were excellent :thumb:

You're right. That is NOT a Johnsonville.

I bought a grinder and am going to start learning sausage making.

You just taught me my first lesson with the milk powder idea. Thanks.

Yours look great!

Excellent!

My last batch had roasted chiles in it. But I don't think I used enough. They seemed to get lost in sausage. 'Bout time to try again.

Awesome, Suds! :thumb:

You're right. That is NOT a Johnsonville.

I bought a grinder and am going to start learning sausage making.

You just taught me my first lesson with the milk powder idea. Thanks.

Yours look great!

Pretty sure I owe the nonfat dry milk method to thirdeye - 1 cup per 5lbs of ground meat. So I cannot take credit for that. I tried a soy protein based binder and didn’t like the mouth feel so I went back to nonfat dry milk method. Walmart is the cheapest place I’ve found to buy it in bulk.

Pretty sure I owe the nonfat dry milk method to thirdeye - 1 cup per 5lbs of ground meat. So I cannot take credit for that. I tried a soy protein based binder and didn’t like the mouth feel so I went back to nonfat dry milk method. Walmart is the cheapest place I’ve found to buy it in bulk.

Thanks....Thirdeye has probably taught a lot of people a few things here!

Back