North Texas Brethren Bash, Saturday Oct 18th - Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park

Great times all around. I really enjoyed putting faces to names. We have a really special group of people here and we are extremely fortunate for it. Thanks everyone for the great dishes and even better comradery. Till next time.

I have to apologize guys, there were supposed to be even more goodies. It turns out, when USPS delivers packages, they don't always leave them at your door. We have community mailboxes, and in the back of mine I found a key to one of the large mail boxes. In that I found more packages of goodies.

Rest assured, they'll be handed out at the next Bash in the spring. I'm thinking May sounds about right. There might be a change of venue--Ray Roberts is nice, but we just can't seem to beat that wind coming off the lake. There was some discussion about possible locations, and I personally like the north/south idea, like Texoma in the spring and Glen Rose in the fall or something.

In any case, I had a really great time again seeing you all again (or for the first time, as the case may be). I still can't believe we pulled in Brethren from Illinois and Florida for our little get-together.

Last edited:
I have to apologize guys, there were supposed to be even more goodies. It turns out, when USPS delivers packages, they don't always leave them at your door. We have community mailboxes, and in the back of mine I found a key to one of the large mail boxes. In that I found more packages of goodies.

Rest assured, they'll be handed out at the next Bash in the spring. I'm thinking May sounds about right. There might be a change of venue--Ray Roberts is nice, but we just can't seem to beat that wind coming off the lake. There was some discussion about possible locations, and I personally like the north/south idea, like Texoma in the spring and Glen Rose in the fall or something.

In any case, I had a really great time again seeing you all again (or for the first time, as the case may be). I still can't believe we pulled in Brethren from Illinois and Florida for our little get-together.

Lake Whitney may be a good choice for another venue. A little further for the North folks, but it may draw in the Austin area crowd.

Now I am curious as to what is in the box. Agree about Whitney, BTW. It will be a bit of a hike for me, but I would really like to see some of the folks from further south be able to make it up. As for May, I am a little bit afraid that it will be stupid hot by then but I like the chilly weather. I might be the anomaly to the group.

I am thinking it is probably my turn to pay for/coordinate the gathering. Never too early to start thinking, right? I told my wife yesterday that I already have a dish planned. I haven't had Amish ham loaf since I came to Texas, but my wife doesn't like it so I don't make it. Mmmmm!

I'm good with a different location. Ray Roberts is a great facility but something south of the Metromess might attract some more folks. Maybe somewhere with cabins?

I'm good with venturing a bit further away...I mean, I was already driving 20 minutes, so another 10 or so miles would be just fine :rofl:

j/k...I'm good with whatever. :wink:

Maybe a li'l lunch GTG is in order. One suggestion is North Main BBQ in Euless. We had our first Texan GTG there a long time ago.

http://www.northmainbbq.com/

It has been a while since I have been there, but everything I have heard is that they have went really downhill. My guess is that they simply aren't turning over enough food for buffet style (and stuff is sitting out going dry) with all of the different options that are now available.

It has been a while since I have been there, but everything I have heard is that they have went really downhill. My guess is that they simply aren't turning over enough food for buffet style (and stuff is sitting out going dry) with all of the different options that are now available.

It's been a while since we were there. Here's the tread (started at page 8 for pics): http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15404&highlight=north+main+bbq&page=8

Any other ideas for a good place to meet?

It's been a while since we were there. Here's the tread (started at page 8 for pics): http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15404&highlight=north+main+bbq&page=8

Any other ideas for a good place to meet?

Depends on how many people and what the geo-demographics are. The 2nd Hutchins in Frisco is a bit more centrally located than McKinney and has a lot more dining space and larger tables. If we needed to go further towards FW, then North Main is still good for it being mid cities and having tons of space. Big D in Mansfield would be really cool, but it is not the most convenient location (except for Smitty and Dave).

Only pic I seem to have that hasnt been posted is of Frognots chili!

Man, was it good. The Frito's really made it like home!

And thanks again for the Grub Rub Charles! I've already been sampling some!

Attachments

• V__9A88.jpg
    V__9A88.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 123
  • V__55A2.jpg
    V__55A2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 123
  • V__0357.jpg
    V__0357.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 123
  • V__F511.jpg
    V__F511.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 123
Chris, any of those sound good.

Guess we should get some feedback from Dave since he has the goodies.

We were some lazy farkers back in the day. That above thread covered 3 lunch GTGs. It's pretty funny, y'all need to read it. Bill mentions SW airlines and the Wright Amendment 7 years ago then he shows up here in 2014 when SW Airlines finally starts flying to Chicago.

So I missed pics of the chili and the meatloaf! Dammit!!! Both were pretty damn tasty, too!!!

Glad some of you farkers had my back and got those covered!

Yeah, it is critical that Dave attend any planned lunch, otherwise we're in the same boat :wink: Brethren lunch is cool and all, but Brethren lunch with swag is even better :becky:

So I missed pics of the chili and the meatloaf! Dammit!!! Both were pretty damn tasty, too!!!

Glad some of you farkers had my back and got those covered!

Yeah, it is critical that Dave attend any planned lunch, otherwise we're in the same boat :wink: Brethren lunch is cool and all, but Brethren lunch with swag is even better :becky:

I thought I took a pic of the meatloaf with your camera...

Back