THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Texas Chili Have Beans?

NO! Texas chili does NOT have beans.
and-here-we-go-joker.gif

I personally agree. But i do like to add stewed tomatoes to my Texas Red. I add them at the very end so there still intact.

Pretty good info on chili in general, not just Texas red.
But I have to take exceptions to parts of the article.
I was raised in Texas, and most chili in Texas does have tomatoes.
I also lived in New Mexico for several years, and the 1st time I ordered chili at a restaurant, they brought me a bowl of red chile soup/paste; no beans, no meat, no tomatoes, just a deep rich chile broth. What an eye opener.
I also noticed that the web site's picture of dried chiles did not include pasillas, although they mention them in the text. Pasilla negro and pasilla rojo are long thin peppers that mature to black and red respectively. As much as I tried, I could not get any of the chiles shown to morph into pasillas.
And while using some hot fresh peppers is a good idea, the anaheim and poblano they mention are just the fresh form of the New Mexican (although milder) and ancho, respectively, and will not add any heat at all.
And I'm sorry, but green chiles do not belong in chili. Put the greens in your stew and use the mature red New Mexican chiles for chili.
Sorry for the ranting.

And I'm sorry, but green chiles do not belong in chili. Put the greens in your stew and use the mature red New Mexican chiles for chili.
Sorry for the ranting.
We'll agree to disagree. Been making the same(more or less) chili recipe for over 25 years. I use as many different fresh peppers I can find at the store. Most of them are usually green. I usually find at least one red variety and of course the small spicy orange ones.

Back