With or Without Beans?

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
William
I really enjoyed that article. I am a no beans man myself, but I don't turn it down when someone offers me a bowl of chili with beans either.

I've read that often. I always get a kick out of Texas Invented stories. There's a reason Texans claim back 7 Generations. Before that it was American Indians, Mexicans and then came emigrants. Eventually if you dig deep enough you will find the Spanish, their priests and Conquistadors. My favorite chili story is that. It was a gruel made from an unfortunate conquistador and wild Chile. Simmered until soft, smashed into a gruel. True Chile Con Carne - Chile with meat.

Kind of puts the discussion of beans and veggies in chili in a different light doesn't it.

Very enjoyable, nice read. I make chili with beans- never been called out for it - guess I have easy going /low bar family and friends. But I guess that some folks are 'hard liners' on that subject.

Good natured ribbing is fine - even encouraged- as long as it does not devolve into fisticuffs. Getting punched in the eye over chili would be bad. :-D

I prefer mine without beans, but I like beans.

There are a million chili recipes so I won't go there but this is the best bean recipe I ever made, it's super easy and you can make it without soaking the beans overnight.

Instant Pot Charro Beans

4 cups stock, whatever kind you have. Bouillon cubes with water are OK.
2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
1 large onion, chopped
4-6 pieces of bacon, chopped. Chopped leftover brisket works good too.
A tablespoon or two of tomato paste
1 jalapeno, serrano or poblano pepper, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder, Gebhardt is the best.
½ tsp ground paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
ground black pepper to taste
½ cup salsa, get the local stuff in the refrigerated section, not Pace!
½ cup roughly chopped cilantro (add this and the salsa after it's done cooking)

Directions

Cook the chopped bacon down until it releases enough fat to add the onions. If using leftover brisket, add some bacon fat or beef tallow.

Cook until the bacon is done and the onions are translucent but not burned. I do this in a skillet but you can do it inside the Instant Pot to make this a one pot meal.

Combine everything except the salsa and cilantro in the Instant Pot. Select Bean/Chili function; set timer for 50 minutes. Cooker will reach high pressure in 10 to 15 minutes.

Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, 10 to 40 minutes. Unlock and remove lid.

Stir in the salsa and cilantro. Stir it pretty rough, some of the beans will crush to thicken the liquid and some will stay whole to give you nice texture.

Serve over white rice. Yum!

Nice read. Thanks. I have to admit I like Beans in my Chili
Same, I prefer beans in my chili. Not a lot though. I still like the meat to be the star. Growing up my mom and dad always put noodles in the chili. I've evolved away from that but occasionally for nostalgia I'll make noodles on the side and add to a bowl of chili. Brings back fond memories. Seems like every kid in the neighborhood was some how playing in front of our house on chili night. Mom always made big'ol pots and everyone was welcome.

Very enjoyable, nice read. I make chili with beans- never been called out for it - guess I have easy going /low bar family and friends. But I guess that some folks are 'hard liners' on that subject.

Good natured ribbing is fine - even encouraged- as long as it does not devolve into fisticuffs. Getting punched in the eye over chili would be bad. :-D
I enjoy beans in chili and always put them in. Friend of a friend swore by no bean chili and made a batch of his recipe for 6-8 of us maybe 40 years ago. It was really delicious...until it was gone. Beans take on flavor well. A few cans could have stretched that batch enough that we probably wouldn't have ordered pizza later.

Same, I prefer beans in my chili. Not a lot though. I still like the meat to be the star. Growing up my mom and dad always put noodles in the chili. I've evolved away from that but occasionally for nostalgia I'll make noodles on the side and add to a bowl of chili. Brings back fond memories. Seems like every kid in the neighborhood was some how playing in front of our house on chili night. Mom always made big'ol pots and everyone was welcome.
Tried Skyline on the way back from Florida one time. Not my thing.

Back