THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jsmiller5245

Found some matches.
I just got a KJ big joe a few days ago. I've been doing test runs and I've
noticed I don't get slot of smoke out of the top. I'm used to running on a stick burner (old country brazos), and I don't expect it to smoke like that. But I don't see any smoke when the temp gets around 250.. running temps of 250-300, with Apple wood chunks

Ron is right. You shouldn't see a lot of smoke even on your stick burner except when you add a stick.

Thanks. I've brand new to the kamado joe, but I'm super excited to learn all it can do.. Gonna try a pork butt this weekend to start it off

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
You're going to have a great time with your new Kamado Joe. They burn very efficiently, very little airflow needed to maintain temps. Have fun this weekend & don't hesitate to ping us if you have questions or concerns.

Coming from a stick burner you may find the smoke ring on the kamado to be underwhelming or non-existent sometimes if using lump charcoal. Thats just the product of not burning much fuel. Now that is just cosmetic but it is definitely something i noticed with my KJ. Beyond that the plus side is you'll use so little fuel it is astonishing. I've cooked a brisket for 16 hours and shut it down. Came back the next stay knocked off the ashes and had plenty of charcoal left for a high-ish heat grilling session. I now have both a Lang 48 and a KJ and i really like that combo of offset and kamado.

Also just a tip but the best method to light my KJ ive found is a cheap harbor freight heat gun. That thing gets the lump fired up within minutes.

Back