THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fsonicsmith

Knows what a fatty is.
I thought by now there would be a thread or two on this, and I am surprised as heck to see no mention. There are no bone-in pork butts (shoulders) to be had in my area (Central Ohio). We know the reason-lack of workers in the pork factories of Missouri. But why am I the only one whining about it? And here is something strange-I can find baby backs at an elevated price. Just not pork shoulders. I finally ordered 8 for $240 shipped from some mail order outfit. I used to find them at Sam's Club for $15 a piece. And said mail order outfit has warned me that it may take a while before mine are shipped.
Are all of you seeing the same barren refrigerator cases at your local grocery stores?

Kroger today was selling pork shoulders. I think $1.79. I have a local farm one in the freezer so i didn't buy any.

A few weeks ago here our local store was selling pack of 2 butts for 97 cents a lbs. I have 4 packs of 2 in my freezer now. I also went to the same store today. An noticed there wasn’t a butt 1 in the cooler. There were tons of ribs but at regular price. I check those 2 items every time I walk in the store. Straight to the coolers my wife thinks I’m nuts.

Scored an 18# twin pack of butts for 98 cents a pound at IGA Midway. Single butts were $1.28. Froze one. Cuban mojo roasted half the other and got some nice pork steaks to toss on the Weber.

They had them at Sam’s in KC...$1.88/lb or something, which is a 50% increase over a few weeks ago. Still not as bad as beef that now costs double or more. $7.xx/lb for chuck roast? Ouch.

Have seen nothing but empty coolers, except for ribs, for weeks. Until yesterday, butts were in stock in several stores I visited. So I added one to go with the ribs in my first cook on the Silver Smoker.

My local Sam's has been hit or miss the last few weeks. They've had pork butts, but not that many, and all of them are in the 2-pack packaging rather than singles. Prices are still the same, though.

Been very hit or miss for butts in my neck of the woods. On the other hand you can’t swing a dead cat by the tail without hitting a cooler full of ribs.

Any Mexican grocery stores near you? Was in one yesterday to pick up some dried chili peppers, their butcher counter was well stocked.

I went to restaurant depot right when I heard there could be shortages.

my attempts at separating and individually vac sealing whole butts was comical to say the least

I went to Sam's here a few weeks ago and tried to buy multiple butts, and they would only sell me one. I was cooking for a bunch of nurses for nurses week. Anyway, I have been able to find them in the grocery stores, but definitely the cases are not as full. Ended up getting them at Publix.

my attempts at separating and individually vac sealing whole butts was comical to say the least

I cut them in half, leaving the bone in one half, and put each half in a gallon freezer zip-loc. It's not pretty.

There are pork butts here today, but they are up to $1.84/# vs. .99 a few weeks ago.

anytime I need to vac uncooked meat I put it on a tray and freeze it for a half hour to an hour and then into the bag and vac it. I also do this for all my fresh sausages as well as pre-made patties so they dont get squished in the vac process.

A meat shortage is definitely coming just a matter of when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shortage of meat, just a shortage in the stores. there is going to be a glut though once the packing houses open back up because so many people are going direct right now. I wanted to have a few steers processed for family and the local butchers are about 6 months to a year out right now for openings. so many people are buying from the farm right now there will be a lot of people not buying meat for 6 months to a year depending on how much they buy.

also there are those that are hording meat right now that wont be back in the market for it for months.

i got a whole hog coming from a farm up here and they told me that they are so backed up right now that they are looking at expanding their processing operation if they can keep people committed to buying direct.... that made me very happy to hear... screw the packers.

Back