THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why wait until next year. If I were Sam's Club, I'd just tell KCBS we're out and let KCBS deal with how to refund the money for contests yet to take place.

As usual, a mob mentally really made a big mess out of a misunderstanding.

One truth stands out above all: if Sam's Club was looking for a reason to cancel their series next year, they have one now.

Respectfully, was it really a "mob" that contacted Fox News? Seems to me the only "mob" involved in was the same one that bashed Jack Daniels about their selection process and than bashed all the teams competing in the JD Invitational for not having an organized church service. Once a loose cannon, always a loose cannon.

Respectfully, was it really a "mob" that contacted Fox News? Seems to me the only "mob" involved in was the same one that bashed Jack Daniels about their selection process and than bashed all the teams competing in the JD Invitational for not having an organized church service. Once a loose cannon, always a loose cannon.
Good point there, but I'm guessing GF was more referring to the comments that have come after the article was published. That has been a mob, and one that has little interest in facts. Unfortunately "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply." This unfortunate situation is a prime example. Anyone who knows McD, should understand that is was a mistake, plain and simple. No mal-intent. I hate that it has blown up like this.

Thanks Rub.

I was indeed referring to the many good folks here and on other forums and Facebook who were quick to shake their fists before the facts were in. No doubt the journalist who wrote the Fox News article first skimmed through these type of things to find details and gauge public reaction. With all the inflammatory responses, I'm sure he felt he had enough of a story for writing his Op/Ed piece.

Just my 2 cents........
Media is media and they have to make the "news" interesting. Nobody wants boring.
I was one who made a negative comment about the decision to have our flag taken down on this board, BUT in this day and age where our country's morale is at an all time low and our rights seem to be disappearing left and right, it's a natural human response to defend an issue such as this, especially from veterans possibly without all the facts. It's called passion and making a call from the heart and not the brain.
I see both sides, bad call and quick response but our flag is a very sensitive topic. If it were concerning a certain logo, cooker, product, etc it would not have made but a small ripple but it's our nations flag and it stirs emotions especially from us veterans who have sacrificed past and present. Take a poll from our wounded warriors and see how they would have reacted before knowing all the facts as well.
I do understand and agree on knowing the whole story first but on the flip side when making a call on our flag and/or rights, people should understand that it will become volatile. A mistake was made and rectified quickly. I admire it was addressed and cleared up quickly. I do not condone the media circus that happened from the fallout but a call was made to have someone take down their American flag, from that point, one can expect things to deteriorate quickly even if it was an honest mistake such as this. Some made comments and voiced their opinions, others decided to take action as their right. The fallout was negative, sad but true.
Bottom line, no good came from any of this.

"Enjoy your Freedom, Thank A Vet"

Why wait until next year. If I were Sam's Club, I'd just tell KCBS we're out and let KCBS deal with how to refund the money for contests yet to take place.

Sure, because no contracts were signed anyway and Sam's Club gets no walk in traffic from the competitors and public that the comp draws. :crazy: C'MON MAN!

That's the most insightful comment on this entire thread.
I wish I was smart enough to have come up with it but I am not. It's an excerpt from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1989) by Stephen R. Covey. I am a believer in it and try to practice the concept, but it can be tough.

I'll add my 2 cents....

Asking someone to take down a US Flag on US Soil should be an act of Treason. A Traitor does that. Plain and simple.

Am I blowing this out of proportion? I don't believe so. No apologies from me...you DO NOT ask someone in the United States (at least for a few more years) to remove a US Flag from their environment. Do you? I realize this occurred on private property and this was a KCBS BBQ Contest site, where they and the organizer make ALL the rules. But removing the US Flag from display? Really?

All those that feel it was "a simple mistake"....keep feeling that. This is the United States of America and you are certainly entitled to feel however you wish...until someone asks you to remove your feelings.

This is a glaring example of political correctness and catering above and beyond to the those that might be offended by something that was merely benign 10 years ago. A ridiculous act of being over-zealous regarding RULES. I absolutely HATE that word. Why? Because every single time a list of RULES is read to a crowd, 90% of the RULES aren't enforced. And the person "enforcing" the rules (for 7 hours) didn't even comprehend the correct meaning of the rules...

I honestly cannot fathom this happened. Someone that many, on this forum and elsewhere in innerwebs land, are calling a Patriotic American....asked people to remove their display of the Flag.

Yeah, I know. I should just calm down and 'get over it'. "Move on."

I might. I might just go join the Israeli Military. Seems their leader cares more about Patriotism than many in this country.

I wish I was smart enough to have come up with it but I am not. It's an excerpt from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People (1989) by Stephen R. Covey. I am a believer in it and try to practice the concept, but it can be tough.
Thanks for the reference.

I'll add my 2 cents....

Asking someone to take down a US Flag on US Soil should be an act of Treason. A Traitor does that. Plain and simple.

Am I blowing this out of proportion? I don't believe so. No apologies from me...you DO NOT ask someone in the United States (at least for a few more years) to remove a US Flag from their environment. Do you? I realize this occurred on private property and this was a KCBS BBQ Contest site, where they and the organizer make ALL the rules. But removing the US Flag from display? Really?

All those that feel it was "a simple mistake"....keep feeling that. This is the United States of America and you are certainly entitled to feel however you wish...until someone asks you to remove your feelings.

This is a glaring example of political correctness and catering above and beyond to the those that might be offended by something that was merely benign 10 years ago. A ridiculous act of being over-zealous regarding RULES. I absolutely HATE that word. Why? Because every single time a list of RULES is read to a crowd, 90% of the RULES aren't enforced. And the person "enforcing" the rules (for 7 hours) didn't even comprehend the correct meaning of the rules...

I honestly cannot fathom this happened. Someone that many, on this forum and elsewhere in innerwebs land, are calling a Patriotic American....asked people to remove their display of the Flag.

Yeah, I know. I should just calm down and 'get over it'. "Move on."

I might. I might just go join the Israeli Military. Seems their leader cares more about Patriotism than many in this country.

Well said! But, I'm not on board. We aren't talking about flags being confiscated and desecrated. We are talking about a mistake, that when discovered was corrected. We aren't talking about a blanket policy that bans the flying of the flag. Show an instance where that happens, and I'm riled up.

I spent 12 years serving, and the flag means something to me. I've been present when that flag was presented to the widows of friends. It genuinely means something to me.

But, I'm not going to run somebody out of town on a rail because they made an honest mistake that they corrected ASAP. I've probably spent less than 30 seconds of my life around the guy that is getting launched under the bus on this. I've got no personal opinion about his character, other than people that I know and respect that tell me that he's a good guy. That's good enough for me.

Back