THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."

I live by this quote everyday. Poor Robyn has to hear it everyday, but lives it with our clients and customers.

Slow down, listen carefully, and consider your reply. Sometimes just listening answers all of your questions. You will be amazed at the respect that this habit will bring to you.

Why wait until next year. If I were Sam's Club, I'd just tell KCBS we're out and let KCBS deal with how to refund the money for contests yet to take place.
As far as I'm concerned, if sams is going to be a pain in the ass about teams flying flags and sponsor banners, it's time to find a replacement anyways.

Sure, because no contracts were signed anyway and Sam's Club gets no walk in traffic from the competitors and public that the comp draws. :crazy: C'MON MAN!

I have no direct knowledge of what the contract language states but I am almost certain there are termination clauses for cause. Those are items written into contracts to protect the parties and give them a way out. Does bad mouthing Sam's to a national media outlet give them a reason to exercise one of those clauses? Hopefully for those who have signed up, we will never find out. But I'd bet Sam's could if they wanted.

As for the walk-in traffic, I have participated in 2 Sam's events and at both, customers had no idea a BBQ contest was taking place until they visited the store as they normally would have. Maybe someone can share what publicity Sam's does to attract new customers as it relates to the bbq contests.

Sam's does no internal or external advertising regarding the BBQ contest. You can go to the store that a contest is going to be held at and a majority of the employees do not even know it will be happening or when. This goes for the day of the contest as well unless they ask someone.

None of the other stores in the areas are aware of the event, nor do they care. I understand that Sam's vendors, Sadler, Smith-Field, et. al. are the ones paying and deriving any benefit from the contest.

I'll add my 2 cents....

Asking someone to take down a US Flag on US Soil should be an act of Treason. A Traitor does that. Plain and simple.

Am I blowing this out of proportion? I don't believe so. No apologies from me...you DO NOT ask someone in the United States (at least for a few more years) to remove a US Flag from their environment. Do you? I realize this occurred on private property and this was a KCBS BBQ Contest site, where they and the organizer make ALL the rules. But removing the US Flag from display? Really?

All those that feel it was "a simple mistake"....keep feeling that. This is the United States of America and you are certainly entitled to feel however you wish...until someone asks you to remove your feelings.

This is a glaring example of political correctness and catering above and beyond to the those that might be offended by something that was merely benign 10 years ago. A ridiculous act of being over-zealous regarding RULES. I absolutely HATE that word. Why? Because every single time a list of RULES is read to a crowd, 90% of the RULES aren't enforced. And the person "enforcing" the rules (for 7 hours) didn't even comprehend the correct meaning of the rules...

I honestly cannot fathom this happened. Someone that many, on this forum and elsewhere in innerwebs land, are calling a Patriotic American....asked people to remove their display of the Flag.

Yeah, I know. I should just calm down and 'get over it'. "Move on."

I might. I might just go join the Israeli Military. Seems their leader cares more about Patriotism than many in this country.

I think it is funny that you call this act TREASON but finish your statement with the idea of going to fight for another countries military.

Sam's does no internal or external advertising regarding the BBQ contest. You can go to the store that a contest is going to be held at and a majority of the employees do not even know it will be happening or when. This goes for the day of the contest as well unless they ask someone.

None of the other stores in the areas are aware of the event, nor do they care. I understand that Sam's vendors, Sadler, Smith-Field, et. al. are the ones paying and deriving any benefit from the contest.

I have cooked in 8 Sam's contests. Now while I don't have any hard numbers, (which I like to use in a discussion, and I'm sure MMA would have) I spoke with several store managers that told me they had an increase in sales the week the tour was there. The Rockford store specifically told me it was one of their busiest weekends of the year.

If you can find a replacement sponsor that will pony up $500,00.00 in prize money, better get on it
:crazy:

Eh. What if Sam's said you could not cook with a Big Green Egg because they sold Vision cookers in the store? Would it be time to look elsewhere then?

Flying the flag has different meanings to different folks. To some it's really important, to others not so much. If this is an overwhelming concern for KCBS members then it should in fact be addressed. Just because a corporation opens its pocket book to KCBS (advertizing write off) it should not take control over how a KCBS event is run.

Disclaimer: I have not read this entire thread. If it was the locality and not the Cooperation enforcing these ordinances, then that's a different ball game. Although I hope next year KCBS does not return to this store.

With that said, I just got a brand new flag for 2015 events.

Eh. What if Sam's said you could not cook with a Big Green Egg because they sold Vision cookers in the store? Would it be time to look elsewhere then?

Flying the flag has different meanings to different folks. To some it's really important, to others not so much. If this is an overwhelming concern for KCBS members then it should in fact be addressed. Just because a corporation opens its pocket book to KCBS (advertizing write off) it should not take control over how a KCBS event is run.

Disclaimer: I have not read this entire thread. If it was the locality and not the Cooperation enforcing these ordinances, then that's a different ball game. Although I hope next year KCBS does not return to this store.

With that said, I just got a brand new flag for 2015 events.

You might want to so you aren't making assumptions................

It truly helps if you read the whole thing before chiming in!
Had you read the entire thread you would have seen that it was NOT the locality forbidding the flying of the American flag, NOR was it SAMs forbidding the flying of the American flag. It was one individual representing SAMs who mis-interpruted the local ordanance concerning signs/banners. This error was corrected and the American flag was proudly flown by all who cared to fly one.

PLEASE, know the whole thing whenever you "pile on"!

Not to change the subject, but Dave that looked like a great margarita in Daphne........

Not to change the subject even more, but congrats on the big win in Daphne!

(even if it is a commie, taliban, isis, north korean, etc, etc, loving non-'merican city :loco:)

Back