A Rub with Low or No Pepper? Friend is allergic to pepper.

You could smoke some chicken with salt and garlic butter and rosemary. That would be a good cook.

Last edited:
Try grains of paradise as a substitute for pepper. It is part of the ginger family. I keep grains of paradise in a pepper grinder and use it as an alternate for pepper in some recipes. It has a pepper-like flavor with a hint of citrus.

I sent dried papaya seeds and a pepper mill to them via Amazon. They are in the UK and just getting into Q. I'll let you all know if this papaya pepper is a valid idea.

I will check into Grains of Paradise as well.

The garlic/butter/rosemary chicken idea is a good one too. I think citrus is OK as well, along with the "18th Century" spices idea. I'm collecting all these ideas and forwarding them on.

This is going to be a bit out there, but bear with me. I forage for wild edible mushrooms in the forests of northern wisconsin. So far this year i have identified over 25 edible mushrooms and have picked pounds and pounds of them.

I stumbled upon Peppery Milkcap mushrooms {Lactarius piperatus} that are considered semi-edible because they are so peppery that you cant just throw them in a dish. they need to be ground up and used as a spice.

PM me your address and i would be happy to ship out a nickle-bags worth:) its worth a try!

I stumbled upon Peppery Milkcap mushrooms {Lactarius piperatus} that are considered semi-edible because they are so peppery that you cant just throw them in a dish. they need to be ground up and used as a spice.

PM me your address and i would be happy to ship out a nickle-bags worth:) its worth a try!

Will do! I'll also have to check and see if I can send them to the UK. The customs laws are kinda restrictive.

Thanks!

Back