Pork Carnitas (no Pic's) Cook

Pog Mo Thoin

Name or Nickame
Pog
I have been wanting to do pork carnitas for a week or so and after various plans ended up completing this on 2-21-22. Below is the process I used. I did not take photo’s because frankly, I don’t do photos. I also did not think it was going to turn out very good and plus, I suck at making a plate of food look beautiful like most of you guys. So, you get my process below without pron.

This recipe turned out really good and I wanted to share it. My goal was to start the smoke when I got up, regardless of time, and have it ready for dinner near 1700. The end time for my family is always fluid because the wife has no concept of time. It happens when it happens. So here goes, and thanks for reading. If you complain about the lack of pics, I don’t do pics. There you go.

Pog Mo Thoin

8 lbs Butt
Trimmed off fat cap along with the membrane and fat between bone side and meat side.
Marinated overnight.

Marinade (measurements are approximate. I just guess)
2 TBS cooking oil
1 TBS kosher salt
Juice of 2 limes. Include rind.
Juice of 2 mandarin oranges. Include rind.

Cook Day
0630 - Started YS 640 @ 225 mix oak/hickory pellets. 20 Degrees outside, light snow, covered with welding blanket.
0700 - Rubbed butt (included gap between the two sides where the fat and membrane was removed).

First rub was light coat of Fiesta Extra Fancy Fajita Seasoning followed by medium coat of McCormick's Taco Seasoning

0730 - Placed butt fat side down, top rack.
1030 - Meat probe placed into butt at the front of the muscle (away from bone). It read 113. Set smoker to 250.
1240 - Meat @ 146. Placed meat in foil pan. Dusted lightly with Cattleman's Ranchero (include gap between the two sides). Placed sliced up stick of butter on top. Added about 8-10 ounces Coke. Enough to cover 1" of the butt. Covered tightly with foil and returned to smoker. Raised smoker temp to 265.
1300 Meat @ 148. Raised smoker temp to 300.
1500 Meat @ 192. Lowered smoker to 250.
1620 Meat @ 201. Removed foil cover. Drained almost all fluid. Returned uncovered foil pan to smoker to reset bark. Allowed fat to separate from juices.
1640 Removed meat from smoker. Tented with foil Allowed to cool for 30 minutes. Could have waited longer.

1715 Ate like a friggen king!

Back