Anything similar to Oakridge Carne Crosta?

Hadoken

Knows what a fatty is.
I’m running out of Carne Crosta and I’ve been trying other steak seasonings to replace it. I bought some with Mushrooms in the ingredient list hoping to find a new go to for steaks.
I made a few Tbones tonight, 1 with Carne Crosta and others with the new options and nothing is even close to the flavor profile of CC.
I don’t have a “educated” palette, I couldn’t tell you why I like Carne Crosta or what the primary flavor of it is.
Has anyone found anything similar, or what ingredients should I be looking for in other seasonings? Coffee and mushrooms were the only 2 unique ingredients I know of in CC, but every option I’ve bought with those isn’t close.

Negative. Carne Crosta is the ONLY Oakridge seasoning worth a damn. I tried other coffee rubs and they just can't handle high heat like Carne Crosta without burning and tasting bitter. Maybe the other coffe rubs are bitter to begin with, who knows, but they are too expensive to even keep trying. One rub Mike should have kept selling.

Negative. Carne Crosta is the ONLY Oakridge seasoning worth a damn. I tried other coffee rubs and they just can't handle high heat like Carne Crosta without burning and tasting bitter. Maybe the other coffe rubs are bitter to begin with, who knows, but they are too expensive to even keep trying. One rub Mike should have kept selling.

I was the same way kinda, I tried 5 or 6 Oakridge rubs and thought they were fine didn’t like them enough to reorder except for Carne Crosta. Went back to my old go tos for pork and chicken.

Has anyone tried Spiceology Cowboy Crust before? Having coffee in it and crust in the title gives me hope, but man does it seem expensive. It also has cumin and mustard in the ingredients list like CC.

I was the same way kinda, I tried 5 or 6 Oakridge rubs and thought they were fine didn’t like them enough to reorder except for Carne Crosta. Went back to my old go tos for pork and chicken.

Has anyone tried Spiceology Cowboy Crust before? Having coffee in it and crust in the title gives me hope, but man does it seem expensive. It also has cumin and mustard in the ingredients list like CC.

I have two 1lb bags of Carne Crosta i bought around the time he went belly up. I use it sparingly for special BEEF occasions.

I buy dried Porcini mushrooms and grind foe steaks. Usually just Salt, Pepper, and schroom.

It has great flavor. I guess you could grind in some freeze-dried coffee if you want emulate CC.

The Bearded Butchers have a coffee/molasses forward rub, I think it's called black . Ace has it for $10
Ed

The Bearded Butchers have a coffee/molasses forward rub, I think it's called black . Ace has it for $10
Ed

If it was anything like CC it would be called burnt. I doubt any molasses based rub could handle high heat like CC.

I bought the sample pack not long before he went out. I think I still have this one to use. I'm going to try it soon, unless I should sell it on ebay . . . :becky:

Whiskey Bent: The Grind
images

I cut my pure oakridge supply with it and none of the addicts in my house have noticed.

I have an un-opened one pounder of CC, and my open bag. I have some similar recipes for other rubs, and one I have drafted as a starting point. As soon as y'all start sending me steak, I'll get to serious work.

Mike clearly paid careful attention to the particle size of each ingredient and I think that is very important - at least as important as the quantities. Just grinding spices finer in a coffee grinder won't do it, because that leaves a bunch of fines and dust. And I never saw fines or dust in his product.

According to ebay, someone paid this last November for Black Ops. Maybe it was a fake sale.

Attachments

• black.ops.ebay.e.jpg
    black.ops.ebay.e.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 62
I have an un-opened one pounder of CC, and my open bag. I have some similar recipes for other rubs, and one I have drafted as a starting point. As soon as y'all start sending me steak, I'll get to serious work.

Mike clearly paid careful attention to the particle size of each ingredient and I think that is very important - at least as important as the quantities.

I don't know the relation to particle size, but CC can handle temps of 700F and i can verify that because i have a 1000F IR station. Not once has a Tri Tip or Hanger steak tasted bitter after searing on that station. I always gave **** on Black OP's for being a glorified taco seasoning, but CC was worth every penny.

Another Carne Crosta lover here. I will look at a couple of the suggestions I see hear. If you find an exceptional one please share. I like the coffee rub flavor

Back