New Rules for American Royal Invitational Qualification

I think the main question is of timing. I think the AR has the right to do the qualifications for the invitational any way they see fit. The real problem is they did it half way through this BBQ season. If this policy started at the beginning of the next BBQ season, I for one would have no problem with it. My wife and I would simply add this activity to our list of things we do as part of closing out a contest after awards before the cooks go home. Getting people to sign things when they are happy and together is easy. Getting them to sign up to 6 months after a contest is over can be impossible!

Organizers got the proclamations because KCBS required it. I bet the organizers who are not competitors simply are not going bother now. The board member who brought up the motion was already holding contests without procalmations.

Because it is the KCBS's responsibility as governing body, they make this claim, to be involved in these "quagmire"'s and represent what is in the best interest of the participants in their organization...I understand the politics involved and all but still it is their responsibility IMO

State proclamations have nothing to do with KCBS, they are an organizer's requirement for qualifying for their contest. Why is this KCBS's responsibility? KCBS, to my knowledge doesn't monitor, track or anyway get involved with other contest that have unique qualifying requirements.

If the Jack decides to only allow entry to teams that won a GC on a stickburner is it then KCBS's job to monitor cooker types? Harpoon has (or had I haven't checked the process this year) the additional requirement that team submit an essay describing why they should be chosen to compete. Does the KCBS as the sanctioning body have an inherent responsibility to be involved in that process too?

Supporting a contest with over 100 teams on one day and 500 entrants on the second day seems to fit within that mission don't you think ?

Why would any contest organizer bother to send anything to the Royal ? They might want to hold a contest on that same weekend.

This is just my opinion blah blah blah

Oh and I don't support bashing KCBS (since I'm now one of the bashed LOL)

Sure it is a good idea to support a contest that large, but are we now going to base KCBS support on contest size? Secondly, the proclamation has nothing to do with the 500 team contest just the 100 team invitational, correct? The Jack as you well know is nowhere near that size. Do they get supported because of prestige?

There are also more than a few 100+ team contests across the country. If they come up with unique qualifying requirements above and beyond the normal criteria and outside what is required by the sanctioning body. Who's responsible for ensuring they are met? The organizer or the sanctioning body.

I think organizers would send the information for the same reason they get the proclamation in the first place, to help draw teams. What does the proclamation have to do with an organizers contest in the first place? Does it have anything to do with their contest other than making it a "qualifier" for another contest?

That's a sincere question I'm asking, not just for KCBS but for other governing bodies as well. What does the State Proclamation really do other than get you into the Royal or the Jack draw?

Organizers got the proclamations because KCBS required it. I bet the organizers who are not competitors simply are not going bother now. The board member who brought up the motion was already holding contests without procalmations.

Is it a KCBS requirement? I didn't know that. How are there then contests without a proclamation if it is required? Does KCBS then not sanction any second year contest with less than 25 teams?

What does the State Proclamation really do other than get you into the Royal or the Jack draw?

Look at it from the perspective of an organizer who has no clue other than their boss said to work on this "BBQ contest thing". "State championship proclamation" sounds official, legitimate, like the contest is a really big deal - so it must be a good thing. Hmmm, THAT should get sponsors as well as public interest. And on top of that, that "other" contest the boss talks about run by those "other" people has that declaration, so it must be the thing to do.

Now, certainly, this isn't all organizers - but I think a lot of them see a state proclamation as more of a marketing tool for their contest; a lot of them seem to see a state proclamation as something that both makes the GC happy and likely increases(or will increase) the number of teams that come to their contest.

Lynn H.

Hopefully the KCBS BoD can work with the folks at American Royal and The Jack to remove the proclamation requirement and then all of this can be put to bed.

Interesting reading.
Another thing for organizers to stay on top of to insure doing a good job for their teams.

FYI: Minnesota now has blanket proclamation for all our contests.

I agree with Sean. I am not sure how tracking state proclamations, which were only created for the benefit of the ARI and the Jack benefit KCBS? They are the only 2 contests that require this and officially they are not KCBS sanctioned...

The entire proclamation thing seems to me to be irrelevant. I also think it is strange that a state would have more than one state championship in BBQ. Why doesn't the Jack and AR decide which competitions they want as qualifiers regardless of a proclamation - its not like the politicians know which contests are worthy. Maybe they should grandfather the ones they already use and then decide internally which process they may want to use to add new ones (if any).

I agree with Sean. I am not sure how tracking state proclamations, which were only created for the benefit of the ARI and the Jack benefit KCBS? They are the only 2 contests that require this and officially they are not KCBS sanctioned...

It does indirectly - It's an additional provided service to both the membership and to the organizers who buy the KCBS sanctioning service. We're changing our Rep procedures to accommodate this. MABA reps will now know to make sure that the organizer has 2 copies of the proclamation and the associated required forms (team list and info form) filled out and ready for the Grand champion to complete when they get their check and fill out any additional forms (W-9's etc). We'll also make sure that this information is communicated and followed up to both the Royal and the Jack so that people don't get unpleasant surprises in the fall. It's all about customer service and in this case the organizer is our customer.

I think this change benefits the smaller sanctioning bodies as they'll go that extra step for their organizers.

Anyone care to give a history lesson on state championships. When did they start? When did they make the jump to governor proclamations?

Has the ARI always needed a state championship?

What about The Jack?

Did the old KCBS TOY count state championships differently? or was it just 50+ was a triple point contest?

I emailed the contestant part of the form to Melissa Pate at the American Royal this morning and she responded right away and included the congratulation letter saying we had qualified. It is a pretty short form the organizer should have on hand and have you fill out as he gives you your GC money, then he they can just send it all in together. You would know if they sent it in because you get an email back from the AR people. The contest was 3 weeks ago and she said it was no problem. Not saying who should be responsible for keeping track, just saying it was pretty painless to take care of.

I emailed the contestant part of the form to Melissa Pate at the American Royal this morning and she responded right away and included the congratulation letter saying we had qualified. It is a pretty short form the organizer should have on hand and have you fill out as he gives you your GC money, then he they can just send it all in together. You would know if they sent it in because you get an email back from the AR people. The contest was 3 weeks ago and she said it was no problem. Not saying who should be responsible for keeping track, just saying it was pretty painless to take care of.

Shane, I'm glad you got taken care of. I agree it was pretty painless and a short form, I think we were all a little panicked when the letter from AR said it must be received in 7 days of the contest date, when the contest was 2 weeks earlier. Going forward and knowing what AR requires I don't really forsee a problem providing the paperwork to them.

I know from trying to get info from contests for our Chest to Chest National Brisket Championship that many organizers just don't seem to respond. Now I just wonder what the Jack is going to ask for down the road.

In Arizona the only events that have a proclomation and that will be AR and Jack qualifiers are events managed/promoted/organized by Mike Reimann and AZBarbeque,or events that are paid "AZBarbeque Triple Crown Events" that came directly from the Secretary of states office and the office also stated that no other proclamations would be given out at this time from the current Govenor.

In Arizona the only events that have a proclomation and that will be AR and Jack qualifiers are events managed/promoted/organized by Mike Reimann and AZBarbeque,or events that are paid "AZBarbeque Triple Crown Events" that came directly from the Secretary of states office and the office also stated that no other proclamations would be given out at this time from the current Govenor.

$500 bucks to become a qualifier in AZ? Wow! :twisted::twisted::crazy:

$500 bucks to become a qualifier in AZ? Wow! :twisted::twisted::crazy:

Actually it's $500 to become a triple crown event which includes a bunch of stuff (advertising etc) for the organizer/promoter from what I've been told.

I think that this was all set up way back when AZBBQ was started by someone who thought ahead and figured the proclamation was a priority. I wasn't around then but that's what I gathered. BBQ started to become big business, $300-$400 per team with 50+ teams, that's alot of $$$$.

With all that being said it just makes business sense that it'd be set up so it would be harder for someone to just decide that they now want to waltz in and take over all the events in AZ taking (stealing?) all the work that was put in prior to now building it up, making them go get their own proclamation (if they could or would bother).
Kind of like a patent or protecting your "region" I'd think.
Guess it's like I've been told over and over, "it's just business" pretty sad it had to be done to begin with.

Look at it from the perspective of an organizer who has no clue other than their boss said to work on this "BBQ contest thing". "State championship proclamation" sounds official, legitimate, like the contest is a really big deal - so it must be a good thing. Hmmm, THAT should get sponsors as well as public interest. And on top of that, that "other" contest the boss talks about run by those "other" people has that declaration, so it must be the thing to do.

Now, certainly, this isn't all organizers - but I think a lot of them see a state proclamation as more of a marketing tool for their contest; a lot of them seem to see a state proclamation as something that both makes the GC happy and likely increases(or will increase) the number of teams that come to their contest.

Lynn H.

Lynn, that's a fair point about it being a good marketing tool for those uneducated with the BBQ organizational structure. I still don't think that makes it something that KCBS is responsible to track though

The entire proclamation thing seems to me to be irrelevant. I also think it is strange that a state would have more than one state championship in BBQ.

Inequities like these, are the reason I think KCBS should distance themselves the whole proclamation process. From what I understand the process and procedures vary greatly from state to state. I think KCBS should distance themselves as far away as possible from the entire process

It does indirectly - It's an additional provided service to both the membership and to the organizers who buy the KCBS sanctioning service.

Mike,

I disagree but think what you said lends credence to my argument. An organizer is paying for KCBS sanctioning, not ARI or Jack sanctioning. State proclamations don't mean a thing to KCBS. They are not part of their sanctioning requirements are they?

The entire proclamation thing seems to me to be irrelevant. I also think it is strange that a state would have more than one state championship in BBQ. Why doesn't the Jack and AR decide which competitions they want as qualifiers regardless of a proclamation - its not like the politicians know which contests are worthy. Maybe they should grandfather the ones they already use and then decide internally which process they may want to use to add new ones (if any).

ARI and the Jack have already decided which competitions will be qualifiers, any contest with the proclamation, with a few exceptions for qualifying for the Jack. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would not cook in a contest unless it was a qualifier at this stage in my bbq career. I don't have unlimited funds to spend competing every weekend traveling all over the country. Maybe in 10 years I will but not even close now.

California Barbeque Competitions

Welcome to all who have come together for the sport of barbeque.

Barbeque events throughout the state bring teams and organizations together
and we welcome top teams and enthusiasts from around the county.
Multiple cities throughout the state will hold cook-offs and the winners
would hope to then compete on a national level.

Jack Daniels World Championship requires the governor of each state to
proclaim a contest a State Championship for those contests to be eligible to
compete at the national level. In addition, The American Royal National
BBQ Championship requires all contests to have a proclamation.
Accordingly, I hearby declare that any serious BBQ event in California that
wishes to be considered a State Championship has my blessing for this year
and all future years.

Good luck to all the teams, organizers, and organizations involved in these
events.

Sincerely,

EDMUND G. BROWN JR.

I stand corrected, CA doesn't even need a sanctioning body to have a "serious" qualifier. Just set up some rules, get the correct number of teams, cook the right meats and remember not to smile.

Benny

Back