THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is somewhat odd to me, just last week I received through the Kansas Winter Q email we use a info request from Melissa for the contact info on our grand champion. No mention of any additional paperwork was given, just a thank you for providing the contact info. Hmmmm.

KCBS. A motion was brought forth to end tracking and passed by the Board. I'm going to look it up, see who made the motion and how each individual voted.

Found it:
April 13, 2011 BOD AGENDA
Arlie Bragg: I make a motion that we as an association stop keeping tabs for the Am. Royal and Jack Daniels in regards to Proclamations. I have spoke with the office and they claim it takes a lot of their time. They report last year all but a handful of contest were unable to get them however this year that will not be the case. California has over 5 contests that the new Governor will not even consider this year making the current system not fair and with the Sams Club also not getting them it has made a lot of teams upset. If the two parties want to continue their present requirements then they need to keep up with it their self’s. I believe we can use the office employee’s time more useful in other areas as we continue to grow. I also request that we speak to both parties and ask them to just consider the following: 15 Teams 1st year, 25 teams 2nd year, No Proclamations

April 13, 2011 BOD Minutes

Arlie Bragg: Made a motion discontinue having the KCBS office staff monitor lists for invitational contests in regards to Proclamations. Seconded by Randy Bigler, the motion passed unanimously.

UNANIMOUSLY....well, isn't that special.

And now a mystery that has bothered me for eight months is solved. We got out first GC on July 30, 2011 and the reps said "well I guess we'll see you at the Royal now"? I won't go into the reason why we couldn't go (but it had to do with a conflict with a Sam's Club regional final) so I never thought to insure that the proper info was made available to the AR organizers. What DID matter though was getting our name in the Jack draw because we had no conflict. OK, we had no idea we'd even have a shot at the draw when 2011 began, but still.....

We waited for a letter from Jack Daniel's for a good long time, and when none came I finally looked up Judt Heslar's number and called. She was super nice and told me she had no info on our GC. Luckily I had time to track down a copy of the Governor's Proclamation from the organizers and get some kind of verification of our GC from KCBS and fax the whole package to Judy, who input it that very day. And good thing because we won the Virginia draw. If I had sat back and let the system handle it, we'd never have made it to the Jack. And THAT would've torqued me off. A lot.

My plan is to have a blank form and addressed envelope in my truck at all times and if we are lucky enough to win a contest not leave until I have signed forms and a sealed envelope from my contest organizer. Hopefully this wont jinx us--I don't even like filling out the tax forms for a contest until I know we have won something. :roll:

Exactly what my facebook post was about... it is on ME to get it done. So I will have the forms ready to roll, just in case.

Form

So where do we get the form? Do I need to send this to the Desoto contest so the organizer would send to melisa? Do you have Melisa's contact information?

I received some clarification that while people that have already won in the qualification period need to get the paperwork in asap, they will not lose their spot if they do not send it in the next week. :-D

I have asked the American Royal if they will accept the documentation needed from CompBBQ for the contests that utilize our service! This is something that we could do as a value added for the organizers and winning team. Even if we have to pull and provide it to the Organizer and Team to sign and send if they will not accept it from us!

Hey folks, don't over think this. KCBS used to track the teams that qualify for the AR Invitational and the Jack, but made a conscious decision to stop. Short of monitoring the forums and Bullsheet, which still wouldn't provide all the necessary info, the American Royal has created a system to gather the appropriate information to send invitations to their event. The AR needs to the contest organizer to verify that, in fact, the event meets the qualifying criteria and provide the info for the GC of their event. With that info the GC will be contacted to be made award that they qualify for the invitational.

The seven day guideline was created so that there was a tangible deadline in place, a firm hand in the middle of the contest organizer's back, if you will, pushing them not to procrastinate getting this info to the AR so in turn the AR could contact that GC. Simple as that. If you've qualified for the ARI, you will be invited to participate.

I am not an official representative of the American Royal. The view points and opinions stated are my own and my not accurately reflect the position of the American Royal.

Hey folks, don't over think this. KCBS used to track the teams that qualify for the AR Invitational and the Jack, but made a conscious decision to stop. Short of monitoring the forums and Bullsheet, which still wouldn't provide all the necessary info, the American Royal has created a system to gather the appropriate information to send invitations to their event. The AR needs to the contest organizer to verify that, in fact, the event meets the qualifying criteria and provide the info for the GC of their event. With that info the GC will be contacted to be made award that they qualify for the invitational.

The seven day guideline was created so that there was a tangible deadline in place, a firm hand in the middle of the contest organizer's back, if you will, pushing them not to procrastinate getting this info to the AR so in turn the AR could contact that GC. Simple as that. If you've qualified for the ARI, you will be invited to participate.

I am not an official representative of the American Royal. The view points and opinions stated are my own and my not accurately reflect the position of the American Royal.

Rod, do you know what will happen with the GC's that we carried over from last year?

However it has worked in the past we have qualified the last 4 years and the first 3 we had to call the Jack and the Royal ourselves .Then last year they sent the stuff to our partner who has never been listed on any of the entry forms .So now I have an email to the organiser wha ran the Labor Day weekend contest we won.What are the odds he still has a copy of the proclamation.All this even tho some one from the Royal called shortly after the contest to verify our info.

Last edited:
What is the history behind needing a governor to give a proclamation that a comp is a state qualifier?

Being relatively new it seems really silly and some organizers have to put in a lot of effort and time to get.

Who did this email go to? I never got one.

If a team doesn't know the rule and the organizer is a dead beat... what happens?

It went out to organizers, Todd. And that is the reason I posted it on here and Facebook, as I thought it was information also important to competitors. With the information I had at the time it seemed things were time-sensitive as well.

What is the history behind needing a governor to give a proclamation that a comp is a state qualifier?

Being relatively new it seems really silly and some organizers have to put in a lot of effort and time to get.

Yes, the Gov's Proc granted State Championship status important to the invitationals, with 15 teams the first year, and 25 teams thereafter.

The good news is once you have it, you have it. :)

A week before the AR deadline last year I scrambled to acquire all supporting documentation from a 2010 GC so we could cook the invitation. I dug up e-mails from motoeric (organizer) to the AR rep that were sent a week after the comp. Kiley Stinson claimed the AR had no record of the e-mail. Creating a chit sorm and stress on my end.
My advice to all, call the AR office and get a coordinator's e-mail. Scan all documents and e-mail them with a read receipt. Retain all e-mails and paperwork. Confirm your qualification before the entry deadline.

Last edited:
Yes, the Gov's Proc granted State Championship status important to the invitationals, with 15 teams the first year, and 25 teams thereafter.

The good news is once you have it, you have it. :)

Interesting I didn't know it was a one time deal.

What does the proclamation do for the AR and Jack folks? I can understand the number of team limit but don't understand what the proclamation is doing for them.

Back