THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just saying, in todays environment, we have all of the information available, it just has to be entered into a database and forwarded to the AR and Jack. I was under the mistaken impression that we were creating a new and improved data base which the reps populated at the conclusion of a contest. EXACTLY where does that involve the office?

Guys, somebody better get their chit straight and really, really think about what the role of KCBS is. If it's to make Sam's happy, then so be it. I WANT my money back from the renewal. Sams can cover the expenses!!!!

I can't search right now but I had a thread about state proclamations not too long ago. My take always were that they are not perpetual and mean absolutely nothing to any one except the ar and bf. Their only purpose appears to be acting as a hurdle to organizers in order to attract teams.

Interesting I didn't know it was a one time deal.

What does the proclamation do for the AR and Jack folks? I can understand the number of team limit but don't understand what the proclamation is doing for them.

They aren't small, or cheap (at least ours in NYS). The process to get the Gov Proc, is time consuming and an expense to the State. To get one each year would be redundant, even by KCBS standards. (laughing)

I've wondered the same thing, but definitely wanted to get the Gov Proc for my teams.

I think exspectiong to get the paperwork filed within 7 days is unreasonable, it should be 30 days.

We're putting together our package for our GC last August as I type this...:loco: Thanks to our PNWBA and BBQ Brethren for the the heads up! :thumb:

I can't search right now but I had a thread about state proclamations not too long ago. My take always were that they are not perpetual and mean absolutely nothing to any one except the ar and bf. Their only purpose appears to be acting as a hurdle to organizers in order to attract teams.

Are you aware at the bottom of the main page there is a Google Search Bar? It only applies to this forum, hope this is helpful information.

I was walking through the airport posting with tapatalk. By could not search I meant that it would have been unfun.

What about organizations like TGCBCA & IBCA that track this information for members and sends in the information to the AR, JACK are they affected?

The geek in me tells me this shouldn't be a difficult process for the KCBS to do. A decent database to track contest and team information along with scanning paper forms into a document management system isn't that hard or expensive to do nowadays. Computers are your friends, I swear. I believe a couple of the new BOD members have some IT backgrounds, maybe this will be handled as we move forward. For now, thanks for the heads up.

The geek in me tells me this shouldn't be a difficult process for the KCBS to do. A decent database to track contest and team information along with scanning paper forms into a document management system isn't that hard or expensive to do nowadays. Computers are your friends, I swear. I believe a couple of the new BOD members have some IT backgrounds, maybe this will be handled as we move forward. For now, thanks for the heads up.

With a proper contest tracking system, it could easily be 100% automated. The problem is the lack of said system. I'd really like to see KCBS start using an IT consulting service instead of an advertising agency that just happens to do IT-related tasks on the side.

Yep. I said that out loud.

I've had a good bit of time to think on this in airplanes and sitting at home with a dead Internet connection. It makes a bit more sense to me now. I'm not sure if every one will agree with it, I'm not even sure if I agree with the approach, but the intent may not something with which I disagree:

The ARI and The Jack each require State Championship proclamations for competitions with fewer than 50 teams. This is not news. One of the questions out there is "why?" I asked it myself a few weeks ago, and the answers didn't seem to justify the requirement. Their soul purpose is to allow "smaller" competition winners to qualify for these events, but they are literally meaningless outside of that. To me the question of "why?" still remains.

Apparently, the issue has been made even worse. Some competitions in California are unable to obtain these proclamations. This hurts the GCs of those competitions, and KCBS wants to do something about it to help them. Who says the KCBS doesn't look out for the West coast? Apparently the Sam's Club locals did not get proclamations either, but I have a personal opinion that that is on purpose. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the board member who made this motion is one who has a career of organizing competitions as a contractor, including some of the Sam's Club events. Perhaps he feels, as a professional organizer, things would be better without this requirement.

Those of you who have read my posts before are no doubt aware that I am pretty detail oriented and very good at reading things and enterpreting the literal and implied meanings...you have to be to do what I do professionally. Anyway, I see the following interesting points made in the original KCBS motion and the eMail which AR sent out:

1) The KCBS BOD made this decision specifically to "punish" the AR and Jack for requiring the proclamation. This is a pissing contest with KCBS trying to bully the other organizations to do what they want, and it may be what one director wants to improve his career.

2) KCBS did not decide to stop providing winners to AR and BF. They decided to stop tracking the state championship designation. The official reason is that it takes too much work to track it, but according to the made and passed motion, the KCBS should still be providing winners to them. It's just up to them to determine state championships on their own. I call BS on that. It's a check box, or should be. Garry Howard can correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be about 750ms of work per competition to continue to track this. At 400 competitions per year, we are literally talking about five minutes over the course of a year to manage whether or not every competition is a state championship. The rest would be on the same report of winners, so no extra time. See above.

3) Based on the letter that went out, while the KCBS should still provide a list of winners to the AR, The AR is getting the list of winners themselves directly from organizers. Is it because the KCBS is providing less than they should based on the above motion? Or is it the AR giving a collective F-you to the KCBS? I don't know, but it shouldnt be that hard. Have the organizer send a copy of the proclamation to the AR before the event, and use the KCBS website to track winners....or have the KCBS provide the winners to you as they have agreed to do.

This thing is a mess with hidden agendas and subtext all over it. Unfortunately, it appears that the ones who are going to miss out are the organizers and the teams involved with those that have proclamations: The ones who care the most. I think the requirement for a state proclamation is silly, and I would not be upset if it went away, but I don't think that the KCBS trying to manipulate and force that to happen is the best approach.

Flame on....

dmp

Like alot of you, Tom and I wear both a competition hat and an organizer hat. When I read this request from the AR, my organizer hat said, why do I care about the Royal. Having been there and done that, my competitor hat gets it....but for those who just organize, arent members of the larger community of BBQ I can easily see this request hitting file 13. The only gain in it I see for the organizer is doing a favor to your teams, specifically for your GC. While not a huge burden, once you get beyond being blindsided by your sanctioning group and the Royal itself over something that could have been explained a year or so ago when the motion passed, its not that big of a deal but I have to ask, as the list of things KCBS IS doing as a sanctioning body continues to diminish how is it that the fees dont. As I see it from organizers perspective, all you get is a pricey classified ad in the bullsheet, and a couple of certified folks that only take responsibility for running a scoring program. KCBS is commanding premium pricing for what is becoming an eroding brand.

With a proper contest tracking system, it could easily be 100% automated. The problem is the lack of said system. I'd really like to see KCBS start using an IT consulting service instead of an advertising agency that just happens to do IT-related tasks on the side.

Yep. I said that out loud.

KCBS HAS a proper contest tracking system. I know because we implemented it. They have all the tools they need to track qualifying contests and the GCs and generate the necessary reports. They have been doing it until now. We ARE an IT consulting service. MMA has nothing to do with the software that the office uses to manage membership, contests, CBJs, reps, classes, etc. MMA is responsible for kcbs.us. We have spent the past 8 years implementing and enhancing the software. We did the same for MBN. That's not an excuse.

The software the office uses isn't a web site, it's a database application that runs over the Internet. It's complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back