New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

First, thank you guys for posting this in this forum. I needed a new smoker. My ten year old vertical smoker was old and I decided I did n t want a vertical. I am having a 7 ft reverse flow stick burner being built for tailgating but needed something for home use. I decided to get and Old Country stick burning from Academy.

When I went to the the store I saw the Over & Under. It was intriguing. The heat and smoke should be even across the cooking surface. Academy had several so I thought I would do some research first. This thread on this forum is the only information about the Over & Under Smoker.

As I read through this thread, the comments that posters made were in line with what I thought. It seemed to me that smoke and heat would be evenly disbursed though out the smoker. I took the advice on this thread to check all three of the Over & Under smokers. I picked the best one. Picked it up Friday, seasoned Friday evening, and smoked a brisket, pork butt roast, and four half-chicken breasts with rib bones.

Tried to cook the brisket and pork roast at 275 but it varied from 240 to 300. I really struggled with the amount of fuel inlet openings, and smokestack openings. I wrapped the brisket about 6 hours in and the pork roast about 5 hours in. I unwrapped the brisket for the last hour and cooked to 195 and about 30 minutes later took the pork roast off at 195. I cranked the smoker up to about 310 and cooked the chicken breasts to 165.

The brisket was a beautiful mahogany color and had one of the best smoke rings I ever have cooked. The brisket and pulled pork were spot on tender and juicy. The chicken breasts were smokey and moist. Some of the best I have every cooked.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the side firebox door has only one latch at the top and needs more. It is not air tight at all. there are a few spots that need some welding. The fuel plate is inadequate and needs some work along with several boxes for fuel.

I would not have ventured out and purchased this smoker if it were not for this thread. I highly recommend it if it has enough grill space for you.

Thanks. Look forward to learning much more.

I can't find anything about this pit on the internet. It's not on the Academy website or anywhere else that I can find.

I can't find anything about this pit on the internet. It's not on the Academy website or anywhere else that I can find.

I search the internet diligently and could not find the Over n Under except for this thread. Academy does not have it on their website. I called Academy; and in the Dallas - Ft. Worth area, only three stores had the Over N Under.

That is the reason this thread was so important to me.

Cool BuBearFan! I think after modding the fire grate, adding a latch and a few cooks you will learn it and have easy cooks on it. I've never been able to get any stick burner to hold a steady temp but rather a steady temp range of target temp +/- 20 * is pretty easy and Good Enough. Say target of 275* - I'll add a split at 255-260*- it'll climb to 290*ish and then slowly fall off to 255-260* (45 minutes - 1 hr) then I add a split. EASY :mrgreen:

Most folks I know like to run exhaust full open but since that one has 2 stacks you may need to run them 1/2-3/4 open.

Saw this smoker at academy today in Arlington. It's an interesting design, but the metal is thinner than the wrangler model. I'm debating on wether or not I should add one of these to my backyard.

I was in Academy today getting some stuff for my old junky boat and seen a fellar keep going between Pecos and the Wrangler so I started talking with him - he left with an Over n Under ........... :heh: I told him about BBQ Brethren also......

I've got a Old Country Brazos that is real 1/4" plate. Lots of people are apprehensive about Old Country but it came with a lot of features not present or are extra cost items on other brands. I paid less, got more features and the doors do not leak at all. I passed on the much cheaper Pecos but at $399 it's a great value. That new over/under is interesting. I'd probably want to see some more reviews before buying but I like the concept. Good luck whatever you decide, it's all good and always fun.

I've got a Old Country Brazos that is real 1/4" plate. Lots of people are apprehensive about Old Country but it came with a lot of features not present or are extra cost items on other brands. I paid less, got more features and the doors do not leak at all. I passed on the much cheaper Pecos but at $399 it's a great value. That new over/under is interesting. I'd probably want to see some more reviews before buying but I like the concept. Good luck whatever you decide, it's all good and always fun.

I have the Brazos also (for a couple years) and really like it.
Regards

I was in Academy today getting some stuff for my old junky boat and seen a fellar keep going between Pecos and the Wrangler so I started talking with him - he left with an Over n Under ........... :heh: I told him about BBQ Brethren also......

He went in looking for an offset. You sold him an over n under. Is that good or bad? I think you may have found yourself a part-time gig.:thumb:

We'll I'm new to the forum and joined because of this thread. I am really looking hard at this smoker. My brother in law and I discussed this type of smoker after a rough run at a large rib cook we did for the family. Feeding 30 of us off a off set charbroiled cooker was a tuff but we did pull it off. First run went off without a hitch, but the second run crashed temp went away and we were forced to empty the fire box and start again......So a quick question for those who have cooked on this smoker. Are you able to reload the smoker box and keep the fire box at temp for a couple of rounds of ribs?

Thanks in advance and I am looking foreword to being in the brethren.

Bookem Danno

Back