THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was able to give one a home yesterday. Been looking at these off and on for the past year or so when I used to get down to Knoxville pretty often. The nearest Academy store is 1-1/2 hours away in Louisville KY., said they had three so I headed on down. I can tell you that quality control is still an issue. Had to spend about 45 minutes with the torch, hammer and grinder to get the top rack to slide freely in the food chamber. Didn't think to take it out of the firebox and check it at the store. Even with that, and all the rust I had to knock off of it, I got the best out of the three.

Got it coated with safflower oil, put a chimney and a half of B&B lump in and fired it up. Put the grate probe in the center of the lower cooking rack and added two very small and one medium sized pecan splits to the fire and off she went. In pretty short order, my ChefAlarm read 420 degrees at the center of the lower grate. The Old Country gauges that I bought for it would read from 70-90 degrees cooler than the ChefAlarm. I found only five degrees difference from side to side. Have to check front to back in the morning.

After messing with it for an hour or so, I found it was pretty easy to hold it between 325-375 degrees and this was my first time ever running a stick burner.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to build a little smaller fire and try to hold it between 225-275 degrees and throw on five racks of spares.

See you then.

Attachments

First cook turned out pretty good. I started out with too small of a fire and had to bring it back by adding more lump. After that, I had no trouble at all holding it between 230 and 275 degrees. I found that the bottom grate was around 40 degrees hotter in the back, and the top rack ran around 20 degrees cooler. I put the thicker spares on the bottom grate in the back and the thinner ones in front and put the smallest one on the top grate with the rib tips. The only switching I did was to put the smallest one on the bottom grate to finish it after the other ones were done.

The only problem I had was that the two smallest racks that I wrapped were overcooked at 2 hours, so I'll have to start checking them at 1-1/2 hours into the wrap. The other two that I wrapped and the one I left unwrapped were almost perfect.

I know all cooks might not go as smooth as this one did but I think this smoker and I are going to get along just fine.

Attachments

has anyone fabricated a charcoal tray or basket for the main cooking chamber to be able to use for grilling ? Is it possible ?

has anyone fabricated a charcoal tray or basket for the main cooking chamber to be able to use for grilling ? Is it possible ?

If you look back in this thread somewhere, I think it was Bludawg who made a basket that looks like it would work good for charcoal

Last edited:

If you look back in this thread somewhere, I think it was Bludawg who made a basket that looks like it would work good for charcoal

No, Bludawg made a steel rod grate. Another fellar made an expanded metal basket for both charcoal and burning splits so he could grill onfirebox side- said it work well. just be sure to frame it with angle iron and have a cross brace or 2 of angle across bottom or it'll sag pretty quick.

I saw the over and under yesterday at academy. The fire pit door had about a 1/4 inch over hang on one side, while the other side fit perfectly. Same thing on the front lid. Not sure why they didn't fix the doors before sending to market, but I couldn't buy the product with such blatant imperfections. It's built like a tank though. Maybe other Academy stores have some that are built better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the size of them, but the build quality made me go with The Good One. I do wish it had the capacity of the Old Country though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey SmittyJonz......question about the Old Country Over and Under smokers......can you fit 8-10lb butts on the top rack ?

I couldn't tell if there is clearance from the pics and can't remember from the models I've looked at in Academy a while back.

Thing sounds like a smooth running smoker.

I hate that photobucket crapped out and the older pics aren't viewable. I'd love to see pics or vids of one of these bad boys loaded to capacity and running strong.

Back