I love this time of year 🔥💥🔥💥

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Folks across the culinary sites cussing and discussing the Chile harvest.
Region: Hatch, Lemitar, Pueblo, home grown
Heat Level: mild,medium, hot, xxx hot
Processing: roasted, grilled, tumbler
Processed: skin on, skin off, jarred, canned, bagged

And my favorite, "I grew up in New Mexico but I now live in Oregon and nothing is the same"

Heads up kiddos, ain't nothing the same. I wish I had enough desire to enter the fray. But I don't. Besides the exact same arguments were made last year, and the exact same arguments will be made next year too.

While the man from Oregon was heatingly debating the Lady from Louisiana I copied this recipe for green Chile stew. Perhaps someone can make adjustments to their tastes. If not the discussion forums are lit.

Brown & drain 1 lb ground beef. Add 1 chopped onion & cook till tender. Add 3/4 cup chile, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp Cumin. 2 cups chicken broth & 2 cubes beef bullion. Salt & pepper to taste. All seasonings can be adjusted to your taste. Diced potatoes are a great addition, as well as some diced tomatoes if you like.

Ive never seen someone so obsessed with Chile's then you. I don't think ive ever seen you post food that didn't include some form of chile's. And Fritos too.

I'm hoping ta hit town this coming week and hatch peppers are on the radar. I've got em before, but this is a hit or miss state. I'll be avoiding the extra hot this time around.

-D

I'm hoping ta hit town this coming week and hatch peppers are on the radar. I've got em before, but this is a hit or miss state. I'll be avoiding the extra hot this time around.

-D

My observation. The most consistent heat is at the mild and medium levels. To me and guessing you it's no big trick to kick up the Scovilles.
Bringing SHU down is much more difficult. Dairy products help but will alter the overall end result.
Processed Frozen, Jarred then canned have pretty much the heat experience that's on the label. If anything they tend to overestimate SHU.. I've not made up my mind to visit a roaster or not. Half of our union cannot tolerate the capsaicin heat above mild. I have a pretty good hot sauce collection that I can amp the heat without changing the dish. Therefore I cook to her mildness tolerance.

In the mid 80s, before Pace was bought by Campbell's Soup, I worked for GRiD Systems (rugged laptops). Had a sales call in the Rio Grande valley where product managers were testing and tracking the heat in various lots of peppers. Even for Pace, at that time, it was difficult to tone down the Scovilles, so they kept the bushels tagged with heat level indicators.

I still de-seed and add them back later if more heat is needed.

My garden is producing enough to keep me roasting/eating chiles 4-5 times a week.

But I need to get my ferment on. And roast and freeze for coming months.
Got 8# ordered but no idea when they ship. And my local grocer is sold out.

8# along with my fresh harvest will keep me happy (and busy) for a while.

I still de-seed and add them back later if more heat is needed.

Never thought to save the seeds and stems. I usually just add the powder version of whatever chile im working with if the heat needs to be kicked up a notch. Might start saving the seeds and stems, although ive grown accustom to having no seeds in my dishes.

I can't imagine paying someone to do what I enjoy doing myself.

Lived in Cruces for a couple years and this was a fun time of year. They used to have these big mesh rotating drums in the supermarket parking lots where they sold the chiles, and they'd blister a whole bag at once. I can't imagine blistering a couple 50lb bags of chiles myself. Peeling and cleaning was enough work!

Picked this up today. Best buy 07/2024 refrigerate after opening. I've never tried this brand. Smaller pieces of charred skin bits are visible. Some of these jarred flame roasts are fantastic some are a little other.
Ingredient label reads
Roasted Green Chile, Lime Juice, Garlic, Salt

Last edited:
Lived in Cruces for a couple years and this was a fun time of year. They used to have these big mesh rotating drums in the supermarket parking lots where they sold the chiles, and they'd blister a whole bag at once. I can't imagine blistering a couple 50lb bags of chiles myself. Peeling and cleaning was enough work!

They still use the drums at the places I buy chiles.

HioB0Mr.jpg

I use my block pit..and my "cookin'" rake. :-D

VWF4bZ1.jpg

B7NAD1M.jpg

Picked this up today. Best buy 07/2024 refrigerate after opening. I've never tried this brand. Smaller pieces of charred skin bits are visible. Some of these jarred flame roasts are fantastic some are a little other.
Ingredient label reads
Roasted Green Chile, Lime Juice, Garlic, Salt

That looks and sounds delicious!

Did you know you can cook a whole pack of hot dogs with a cookin rake?
Then a whole family's worth of smores at once!
Ed

Back