Need Shipping Options For My Upcoming Shirley Build

AZRaptor

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
So I'm slated to have my Shirley smoker built in the next couple months and need to figure out how to get it out here to AZ. I looked at driving out to meet the crew and pick it up, but I'm looking at $650+ just in gas for the round trip. I know uship.com is an option, but I've never used the site before and wondered if people had specific movers/haulers they would recommend.

With all of the custom pits being built these days they can't all be getting picked up in person, so I know there's got to be some folks out there with some recommendations.

Most shipping places get $1/lb (give or take). Factor that in, and see what works best. Can you miss work without losing too much time/money? That being said, like riblover said, you could turn that into an EPIC road trip. Me personally, I would drive out. If you have never travelled with at smoker attached to your truck, the looks and attention you get are priceless. Even people who don't use them are amazed by the sight of them. And im sure the Shirley you're getting is gonna be quite a sight.

Lang 36 Patio

Hi All I'm in the same situtation, need options for shipping a Lang 36" Patio to North New Jersey 07652.
Thanks DanB

$650 in gas doesn't sound like a bad cost to me.. I doubt you're going to find anyone willing to ship it to you for less.. From Chicago down to Tuscaloosa and back only cost me about $350 in diesel to drive it... Lowest shipping I saw was $7-800.. Its a great time to do it yourself, as gas prices are so low.

Although.. On looking at a map, your drive is loooonnng! 23 hours, 1650 miles each way. I don't blame you for shopping around. There was a thread a little while back about shipping options that had some good stuff in it. I'll try to find it

Edit: Found it!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204201

Thanks for the link Shagdog, I'm reading through it now.

Ideally I think it would be awesome to go pick it up, but I also don't own a trailer for towing a patio model, but it would be an excuse to switch over to a trailer model which I've gone back and forth on doing.

Doesn't Shirley Fabrication offer you any shipping options? They probably have better shipping prices since they ship a lot of smokers .

I emailed Tyler to get the dimensions and weight of the smoker so I could check around for shipping rates and he didn't mention it so I don't believe so.

That is twice as long as my trip. Even if you drive 12 hours and sleep 8 that is 3 solid days. Throw in stops for food, gas, bathroom, etc. and you are eating up most of a week. If you are going to drive then you might as well make a vacation/road trip out of it and hit some sights on the way there. My biggest fear would be leaving the shirley in the hotel parking lot. I would probably sleep in the bed of the truck just to make sure it was safe.:crazy:

Do you know anybody in Texas? Texas looks like the half-way point. Maybe they could get it and keep it for you to pick up? that would make it a weekend trip for you and very do-able.

That is twice as long as my trip. Even if you drive 12 hours and sleep 8 that is 3 solid days. Throw in stops for food, gas, bathroom, etc. and you are eating up most of a week. If you are going to drive then you might as well make a vacation/road trip out of it and hit some sights on the way there. My biggest fear would be leaving the shirley in the hotel parking lot. I would probably sleep in the bed of the truck just to make sure it was safe.:crazy:

Do you know anybody in Texas? Texas looks like the half-way point. Maybe they could get it and keep it for you to pick up? that would make it a weekend trip for you and very do-able.

Yep, it starts to add up quick. I do kinda know some folks in TX, but not enough to ask them to drive to Alabama for me, nor would they have a means to haul it.

After seeing toys4dlr's Shirley in person I decided I really wanted to get one since I had been thinking about trying an offset for my next smoker type. He mentioned it was pricy to get it out here, so I'm not expecting it to be cheap to ship. I even looked around for a local pit builder, but only found the Chiricahua Smoker from azbbqgrills, but it's a vertical offset and I really wanted a horizontal one so I didn't follow up on that.

Thanks for the referrals. I'll follow up with the couple mentioned so far as well as those in the thread Shagdog linked once I get the specs back from Tyler.

What is a shirley?

Hi all,

It has been quite a long time since I"ve been on the forums here..and have lost track of some of the vernacular...and acronyms.

What is a "Shirley"? Is it a brand or style of smoker?

Thanks in advance!

cayenne

Hi all,

It has been quite a long time since I"ve been on the forums here..and have lost track of some of the vernacular...and acronyms.

What is a "Shirley"? Is it a brand or style of smoker?

Thanks in advance!

cayenne
Shirley Fabrication makes smokers (and truck bumpers) in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The owner is TuscaloosaQ on the Brethren, OUtstanding rigs

A "Shirley" or SF smoker, or Shirley Fab smoker, is a reverse flow horizontal offset smoker custom built by the good folks at Shirley Fabrication in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

EDIT: I was just a bit too slow. That's what I get for spellchecking.

This reminds me of that old saying of putting the cart in front of the horse. :laugh:

Not blaming you for wanting a Shirley & I hope you find the best shipping option!

This reminds me of that old saying of putting the cart in front of the horse. :laugh:

Not blaming you for wanting a Shirley & I hope you find the best shipping option!

Like I said, toys4dlr told me how much it cost him to get it out here and I don't mind paying it, just don't want to pay more than I need to hence the desire to get suggestions for shopping it around. Once I have the specs and an expected availability for pickup I'll throw it up on USHIP and see if I get lucky with a great deal, but it doesn't hurt to do a lil shopping around through other channels.

What are you getting? Trailer model? Will be out that way middle of Nov. maybe able to fit it in. Buzz

Greyhound to Bama U-Haul it back

From Chandler AZ to my house is 18 hrs non stop I've done it many times "T" town to my house is 14 hrs

Back