THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

beej210

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
BJ
Looking to consolidate my green mountain and my gas grill. The Louisiana Champion at costco looks awesome but can't find a ton of reviews on it. $1199 shipped. Smoking box on the side plus a sear station in the main compartment. Seems like I could do ribs and hamburgers at the same time (brisket would already be in the cooler). The other option is the Yoder YS640. These are the only 2 that I know of that really give you the opportunity to grill over a live flame and actually char something. I know the Yoder gets great reviews, but it's $1900 (with the accessories) vs $1199 and it doesn't appear you can smoke and grill at the same time like with the Louisiana.

Any opinions on either of these, or is there a 3rd option that I should consider? This would be an all-in-one unit for me so it has to smoke and sear well. Thanks!

I’ve never seen an all in one unit that did everything Great ( except maybe Weber Kettles But they lack capacity and you can’t grill and smoke at same time). I like my grills and smokers separate although I do smoke on my grills. I say keep what you got and add an insulated cabinet smoker or drum smoker AND a charcoal grill like Weber Kettle.

OR just add a 26” Weber Kettle cuz you can smoke on a Kettle but would still have to run on of the other 2 if smoking and grilling.

Last edited:
I have tried the all-in-one cooker scenario a couple of times. With your stated wants and needs in an all-in-one (smoke & grill at the same time), I do not believe that a cooker exists that is gonna fully satisfy you. If you do NOT need to smoke and grill at the same time, then that changes things. Honestly, you have a pretty nice setup right now... that can easily grill/smoke simultaneously or not. Why the desire to consolidate? Just curious.

rwalters, have you looked at the louisiana champion? Looks like it could grill/smoke at the same time, was just looking for opinions on it.

https://www.costco.com/Louisiana-Gr...ellet-Grill-and-Smoker.product.100382905.html

The reason I need to consolidate is we just moved. My gas grill is natural gas and we don't have a gas line. So would either need to buy a new propane grill, and then I'd also want a kamodo.... gas for quick meals, kamodo when I have more time.... Or if I just get a pellet that can both grill and smoke then I'm always cooking with wood, never gas, and is convenient enough for quick weeknight meals.

Depending on your budget, Cookshack FPG500 and FPG1000 are fantastic, as is the Memphis which I just put into an outdoor kitchen (replaced my FPG-500 and FEC-100).

I've done steaks and burgers at 500+ degrees over direct sear, pizza at 600, and brisket/pork shoulders at 275. So yes there are absolutely cookers that will do it all and do so well, but they tend to be the higher end cookers.

Although I don't have the chops of some of the posters here, I am in agreement with the principal that multi-purpose products often fall short of the performance of a specialized single purpose product. It isn't a problem limited to grills and smokers. Its a problem that cuts across disciplines.

I too looked at the Louisiana Grills option at Costco. I stopped looking at it after I couldn't find any significant reviews or love for it in all the usual places I check. A few here or there, but nothing like I expected to see.

I am currently zoomed in on the Yoder line and the Rec TEc line. I like the idea of a premium product that does one thing exceedingly well. Both will allow direct grilling, but, it is not the center of the offerring. I do not mind a premium price if the object of my affections checks all my boxes and I get excited about it.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but, I'm a big fan of choosing a well made product

rwalters, have you looked at the louisiana champion? Looks like it could grill/smoke at the same time, was just looking for opinions on it.

https://www.costco.com/Louisiana-Gr...ellet-Grill-and-Smoker.product.100382905.html

The reason I need to consolidate is we just moved. My gas grill is natural gas and we don't have a gas line. So would either need to buy a new propane grill, and then I'd also want a kamodo.... gas for quick meals, kamodo when I have more time.... Or if I just get a pellet that can both grill and smoke then I'm always cooking with wood, never gas, and is convenient enough for quick weeknight meals.

Sorry, just now seeing this...

Just my opinion. On paper, that looks like the dream pellet cooker. HUGE and can do it ALL! Knowing what I know about pellet cookers, that Louisiana pellet grill will NOT do it all AT the same time. Can you use it to grill? Assuming it gets hot enough, yes. Can you use it to smoke? Absolutely. Can you do both at the same time? Absolutely not! Why? Because in order to grill something, you need to take the cooker to high temp... and as soon as you do that, you are producing virtually no smoke in the cold smoking chamber. On the other hand, if you want to smoke, you are going to set the controller to a low temp so that you can produce the necessary smoke for whatever it is you are smoking. In other words, you will exclude the possibility of one cooking style when choosing it's opposite. Does that make sense?

If you want to set yourself to be able to cook anything and everything... it is my strong opinion that you are going to be hard pressed to beat a nice pellet grill/Weber kettle duo. After way to many cookers going through my backyard over the years, I have found this combo to be one tough cookie to beat. Oh yeah, and a nice large griddle (Blackstone or Camp Chef) if you have the room... lol.

I feel like something that is supposed to do two things won't do either one as well as separate units. If I had a GMG and a gasser, I would be looking to add a Weber kettle or a PK grill. HOWEVER, a friend has this:

https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/lang36/lang36_hybrid.html

36" Lang offset and charcoal grill in one unit. Doesn't use gas so it may be a non-starter, but he loves it.

Although I don't have the chops of some of the posters here, I am in agreement with the principal that multi-purpose products often fall short of the performance of a specialized single purpose product. It isn't a problem limited to grills and smokers. Its a problem that cuts across disciplines.

I too looked at the Louisiana Grills option at Costco. I stopped looking at it after I couldn't find any significant reviews or love for it in all the usual places I check. A few here or there, but nothing like I expected to see.

I am currently zoomed in on the Yoder line and the Rec TEc line. I like the idea of a premium product that does one thing exceedingly well. Both will allow direct grilling, but, it is not the center of the offerring. I do not mind a premium price if the object of my affections checks all my boxes and I get excited about it.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but, I'm a big fan of choosing a well made product

Sorry, just now seeing this...

Just my opinion. On paper, that looks like the dream pellet cooker. HUGE and can do it ALL! Knowing what I know about pellet cookers, that Louisiana pellet grill will NOT do it all AT the same time. Can you use it to grill? Assuming it gets hot enough, yes. Can you use it to smoke? Absolutely. Can you do both at the same time? Absolutely not! Why? Because in order to grill something, you need to take the cooker to high temp... and as soon as you do that, you are producing virtually no smoke in the cold smoking chamber. On the other hand, if you want to smoke, you are going to set the controller to a low temp so that you can produce the necessary smoke for whatever it is you are smoking. In other words, you will exclude the possibility of one cooking style when choosing it's opposite. Does that make sense?

If you want to set yourself to be able to cook anything and everything... it is my strong opinion that you are going to be hard pressed to beat a nice pellet grill/Weber kettle duo. After way to many cookers going through my backyard over the years, I have found this combo to be one tough cookie to beat. Oh yeah, and a nice large griddle (Blackstone or Camp Chef) if you have the room... lol.

I have to agree with the two members above.

You can use a pair of pliers to remove a bolt, but why? You can use a Phillips screw driver in a TORX fastener, but why? The right tool for the job. Use the correct size wrench.

Again, I own a Rec Tec Stampede, but it's part of a group of cookers which include a Kamado Joe and a 22in WSM.

For my long, overnight cooks, brisket, pork shoulders, it's the Rec Tec and a smoke tube, hands down.

When I'm too lazy or just have other chores around the house to do, grass to cut, errands to run, it's the Rec Tec for ribs.

When I want to kick back and BS around the smoker and have a beer with my buddies, it's either the WSM or the KJ. Maybe the Rec Tec if I'm grilling wings. Or if smoking and grilling on the same day, then ribs on one, low and slow, and grilling wings on one of the other, depending on capacity and how many wings and ribs I need.

When I want to sear sous vide steaks it's the KJ. When I want a rotisserie chicken, or kabobs, its the KJ with the Joetisserie. I want to grill oysters, its the 22in WSM with the midsection removed.

The one size fits all approach, is the reason why I didn't spring for the Rec Tec Bull, because I knew that a pellet grill wouldn't fit the bill across the board and replace my other cookers.

BTW, someone else mentioned that they would not own just a cooker which was dependent upon electricity or gas to operate.

Found this to be true as well. Some kid a block away, lost control of his car on a Saturday afternoon around 1:30 and hit a utility pole knocking out all of the power in our development for about 4 hours.

Had I been cooking on my Rec Tec, when that kid hit that pole, and than been all that I had, I would have been stuck.

Last edited:
Cookers, like most things in life, are all about compromise. Pick one that speaks to you and enjoy!

Also, I wouldn’t put rec tec in same category as yoder.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back