THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An 850lb Insulated Vertical Smoker does not roll across the lawn. It could if it had large inflatable tires, casters would get stuck.

I tried rolling my Lone Star Grillz insulated smoker across the grass and it jammed into the lawn, and was able to push it back onto the concrete before the hole got deeper :)

Spicewine.jpg

Spicewine 2.jpg

Note that the photo only shows two shelves loaded. There is a ton of room on this cooker. If the Large is too big, you can get a Super Medium, a Medium or a Small
Spicewine Butts 1.jpg

Spicewine Butts 3.jpgSpicewine Ironworks for a top notch cooker.

An 850lb Insulated Vertical Smoker does not roll across the lawn. It could if it had large inflatable tires, casters would get stuck.

I tried rolling my Lone Star Grillz insulated smoker across the grass and it jammed into the lawn, and was able to push it back onto the concrete before the hole got deeper :)
Yeah, same with my SS2 and it is smaller than the LSG. Unless you have a sidewalk all the way from the patio to the front, you need a different wheel setup.

I use a few sheets of plywood to move mine around from the back yard when I need to...

I would call paul at Shirley fab and have him build one of his patio models. and then a charcoal/lump tray to put on the reverse flow plate so you could use it as a full grill.

So I just realized today, for a cheaper option than the 24x48 charcoal grill from LSG, I could get a 24x40 offset smoker with the grill-top firebox. Most of my grilling I do reverse sear, which it just occurred to me is pretty much the same as smoking followed by a sear. Plus then I can play with stick burning for longer smoker cooks when I want to.

I'm thinking that might be my best bet.

I would look at the comp guys and how they roll, with enclosed trailers, and tie downs etc...to load multiple cookers. Get yourself a nice quality insulated vertical, I dream of Spicewines, and a Wells Cargo or similar trailer. You can then load everything, and the trailer makes a nice, everything in one place storage for all your BBQ gear.

Is it that hard to tend 2 wsm? Maybe get an atc. Sounds like you came up with a good excuse for more cookers.

I guess my thinking is one stick burner is more work than 2 wsm.

A lot of the time when I'm just smoking (briskets, butts, ribs, etc.) I'm doing other things too, so "set it and forget it" is what I'm going for. That's why I'm looking at something like a LSG insulated cabinet.

Grilling is a separate thing, trying to figure out a good solution for that too, which is what the stick burner is all about.

I'm in a pretty similar situation. I was originally looking for a grill and frankly need a larger cooking area for grilling than smoking (at least right now, that will probably change). I had been planning to get a grill and continue on with my gasser vertical then I came across the Gator Party pit that has a grill grate in the main chamber and that pointed me in a new direction. I ended up placing an order with Lone Star Grillz for a 24x48 offset with a grill grate for the main chamber, which should be under construction in less than a month.

I'm also interested in some mobility. I could put a trailer rig in my backyard but don't really want to look at the thing on my back patio. So, my current idea is to get a utility-type trailer with ramps and either put an electric winch on the front for loading/unloading or two boat trailer type cranks pointed in opposite directions, one to crank on, one to crank it off to keep it from rolling away. With the insulated firebox it will be 1,200 lbs and I could see that thing rolling off to the horizon trying to unload it by hand. I have someone that will build me a custom trailer in exchange for me doing a BBQ for his company picnic.

That all said, I keep hearing about Shirley Fabrication and saw the comments about a detachable tongue trailer. Lone Star won't do the larger tires that SF will, the biggest is an 8" caster, 2" wide. I'm probably going to call them to find out what they can do just in case there is the "perfect" solution out there. My hesitation to date has been that with the reverse flow baffle, I don't know that you can grill on it and I have to be able to do that.

This alone wold cause me to move MY property My rules ya don't like it don't farkin look!

How about a 26" Kettle and a Stumps Stretch or a Pitmaker Safe and one of these mounted on a Cart together

Thanks for the shout-out, Bludawg! Here is what you're talking about:

http://pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=46116274

Actually, DaveAlvarado, we get this particular request a lot. There are a lot of pits out there that have the ability to do both smoke and grill. We considered having a standard model that could as well. However, in going through design possibilities on our product lines, we wanted to build the best smoker we could, and we wanted to build the best charcoal grill that we could. The two goals are at odds with each other somewhat. In general, you want a smoker to seal in your heat, be efficient (long-burning) and get a good smoke density very well. Because, of the high direct heat nature of a charcoal grill, it has to breath well. We figured out that we could build an OK smoker that had OK grilling capability, or we could build a charcoal grill that kind of has smoking ability... Or we could design and build the best smoker we could, and design and build the best adjustable charcoal grill we could--which is why you see two pits on the link above to our combo unit.

Even in our offset models (our Sniper), we felt it was not good to subject your nice smoker to the high heat wear of some kind of charcoal pan insert or drawer. Burning off your layer of seasoning that you've built up in your smoker every time you grill something is not good either!

That being said, we have made exceptions... We are a custom Pitmaker after all. Here is one such device we made a little over three years ago. Greg said he didn't have enough room for a grill and smoker in his outdoor kitchen, so we set out and custom designed this for him. It is a 48" all stainless Grill-Meister beefed up and modified with our insulated Sniper smoker door. We put two smoke stacks into it on either side and a charcoal divider, as well as a divided multiple air intake dampers. Offset smoking is accomplished by building a fire to one side of the divider and putting the meat on the other and opening the opposite side smoke stack for a draw.

[ame="https://picasaweb.google.com/101330219981989618918/CustomSmokeMeister?authuser=0&feat=directlink"]Picasa Web Albums - G. Shore - Custom Smoke-...@@AMEPARAM@@https://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/base/user/101330219981989618918/albumid/6021234797614694049?alt=rss@@AMEPARAM@@101330219981989618918@@AMEPARAM@@6021234797614694049[/ame]

He reports it works very well: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLOIAeOy4cc&list=PL0AC4E6B1A920B010"]Smokemeister - YouTube[/ame]

It just goes to show you, if you have a BBQ dream, or a particular theory/design about how you want apply heat and smoke to your meat, we have the know-how to make it happen.

Sorry for the book...

Back