Need a little help from the brethren

jakel

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I volunteered to do pulled pork for a HS graduation party for the son of a close friend and I'm not quite sure of how to figure portion size.

In addition to the pork they are having fried chicken,pasta and meatballs,pizza plus sides and deserts so I'm thinking ~2 oz per ave.serving using slider buns.

I anticipate about 50% loss from the raw bone in butt to finished product and I'm told he expects between 120 - 160 so I'm thinking 40# raw might do it. So the big question I have is ......... Am I close ...... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also any and all advice on cooking in advance and reheating then holding for four hours in a chafing dish or should I time my cook and pull same day.

Typically when there is other meats being served most guys figure 1/4 lb. cooked per person. Figure 50% yield so you'll need 1/2 lb per person raw weight.

Plan on 160, so that will be 80 lbs raw weight.

Thanks I'm not sure now if I should go hot and fast or low and slow or low then bump to 325....to be honest when we first talked I thought about sixty or seventy so now it's rethink time .. The cook is on my YS 480 and I don't think I can do them all at once so it's gonna be a challenge...plus it's my first big cook.:pray:

it's my first big cook.
We are all behind you, good luck!

if I should go hot and fast or low and slow or low then bump to 325....
I'd do 275 and you will finish, none of this 9 pm "It's not done" stuff.
Get foil, use it to slow the bark if needed.
You got this.

I volunteered to do pulled pork for a HS graduation party for the son of a close friend... .

I know a good facility where you can get your head examined. Just kidding. I think it's great that so many Brethren volunteer to do large cooks for community and charitable events. Some day I hope I have the confidence to cook for a big gathering. Best of luck!

Thanks guys.... it's going to be an interesting learning experience to say the least :biggrin1:

Back