THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gorgeous pork on this cook.

You nailed the shoulder....full agreement on not trimming, just scoring and incorporating all parts into the final chop.

I lived most of the first 30 years of my life in Eastern NC. I can't remember how many times I've eaten at Pete Jone's Skylight Inn (Ayden, NC) or King's (Kinston, NC).

Pete Jones represents the best of the Eastern NC BBQ that I've had in a restaurant.

Their cornbread is very dense and has a nice crust and it soaks up the sweet slaw very nicely and is a super compliment to their pork.

https://youtu.be/3vB2ZCS3mCo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3vB2ZCS3mCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Much respect to how you stayed true to the area's bbq methods.

I've strayed from my ENC roots after living in Georgia for almost 20 years....my finishing sauce does have the nice vinegar tang, but is a little sweeter than what I grew up eating. We love it on pulled pork and chicken.

I typically do just pull it, because I don't have the budget to replace my cutting boards. Chopping anything would wear them out.....and I'm hoping to use them for the next 30 years and hand them over to my son who will knows how much use they've had feeding our family.

Last edited:
I typically do just pull it, because I don't have the budget to replace my cutting boards. Chopping anything would wear them out.....and I'm hoping to use them for the next 30 years and hand them over to my son who will knows how much use they've had feeding our family.

I have a couple of older wood cutting boards that I use for chopping pork. This is their only use.
I also have a heirloom quality board that will never see a cleaver, that I also hope to pass down, so I understand completely.

I'd hit a pound of that! Have you tried those cheap disposable plastic cutting boards? I use them over my cutting boards.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a couple of older wood cutting boards that I use for chopping pork. This is their only use.
I also have a heirloom quality board that will never see a cleaver, that I also hope to pass down, so I understand completely.

Awesome !!!!!

One of the allures of good bbq is that we can hand down our methods, too.

Being able to actually gift someone something that was used in most of the meals they have been fed over their life is really cool.

I hope my son takes my cutting boards and uses them with his grandkids. :thumb:

John - I was a little busy on the weekend and didn't have enough time to catch this thread. I love the way you score the pork. I usually remove the skin for cracklings and concentrate on barking up the meat but I think I really like your approach better. I'm gonna try it on the next Picnic I do. Mac

Back