THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to try to redeem myself this wknd. and smoke another one of my Wagyu Briskets. Not sure if I'm going to use my Offset or my LSG IVC yet. Will depend on my "to do" list. If I need to leave the house for errands, I'll have to use the LSG. Going to plan my day later on and see which will be best and if I can stay home long enough to use my offset.

I'll post pics as usual.

Every time I reheat some from the last one, including the pieces that seemed over done, I'm still surprised at how much more juicy and flavorful it is compared to the choice food depot stuff I use to purchase and cook.

so I ordered a case from Morgan Ranch and had it delivered last week.

My honest assessment? 3 of the 4 brisket in the case were beautiful. Very even thickness on the flats, and a healthy size to them all. The 4th one was a bit lacking in appearance. The flat looked really super thin on one end and the brisket just looked really lopsided.

Naturally, that was the first one I thawed for testing purposes. No pics, as I had low expectations.

Trimming was interesting. I took a really aggressive line towards trimming. Probably more aggressive than normal, but I wanted to test out all this talk about "jiggly' meat and see if I could get a really nice pretty trim. Well, I managed to get about 90% of the silver skin off, and I separated the point from the flat with the exception of a little bit, just to keep the pieces together. (I like to fan out the point from the flat to get more bark). Yes, it was crazy soft meat. Softer than any prime that I've trimmed.

I smoked it on the Vault at 275 with Stubbs and Red Oak and the end result was surprisingly good. The flat was thin, but it held up nicely to a bend test. Slices pulled apart easy. The point was just ridiculously good. The family ate it up.

So, if appearances count for anything, the next three should be better than the first, and the first set a pretty high bar. I'm sorry I didn't photograph anything, but I really didn't expect much. Next time.

Plan is to thaw the next one for Mom's Day.

Well here is my 2nd one trimmed before going on. Hope these pics are alright.

04E81EE5-2C50-4A63-9F96-5978EE4A57BC_zpshwfslhsx.jpg

69461EF0-1D47-4076-A10F-ED7F58041F30_zpslox5pxad.jpg

F50FCDD9-2C29-40C1-A238-8EE69E7CC5E4_zpsydmr2ksb.jpg

Pointy piece I cut off the Flat

FDE46AED-2C63-4DC9-B0BF-C07AA87EAAFB_zpstjytjrgi.jpg

C2F87AB6-8776-4E83-83CD-6847C389D0F7_zpsxmphfpbu.jpg

B5D82AC3-A584-4C00-9DEA-22232ADE9220_zpsbmftxu1t.jpg

B0CFCD4E-E564-4133-822D-8C3621216A6F_zpstnkhlrvf.jpg

DD27C194-2847-48F0-86EE-CE28878BAFD9_zpswtoozxii.jpg

87D073CD-7429-42FE-84BC-9358A1CD51D7_zpsdhtq98wl.jpg

492B14AE-85B2-4357-93E0-136F218BC651_zpslbfa0jl0.jpg

Smoking on the Old Country Brazos Offset today instead of the LSG. Naked Fatty also :)

236A1DFE-25FA-4C3D-9FE1-81F283B0DE1B_zpssngae4qj.jpg

0DD31BC9-2715-4F42-9360-B13958A970A9_zps1r6uhcf7.jpg

Didn't you post this in your other thread? This is the kinda stuff that makes folks think there is an agenda btw. Resurrecting a thread with the same pictures in a different thread.

Didn't you post this in your other thread? This is the kinda stuff that makes folks think there is an agenda btw. Resurrecting a thread with the same pictures in a different thread.

No agenda other than to post the pics from today so people that won't come to this thread because all of the BS that happened, can see them.

Other than that...Just a poor guy trying to cook some Q man!!

The other thread was for folks interested in todays cook and more pics that were requested of the marbling.

No need to post your CC info BS, the pictures of the brisket is all I needed to see.

Heres my first take -

Because the flat was so long and thin it made sense to me at the time to fold the flat over itself - Bad choice - Messed up about half of the brisket - the other half was better than the prime i cooked last time - especially the point

I've been having issues with the ends of my flats anyway - think i might wrap sooner next time and definitely not fold the flat over

Whats everyones thought on the color/ texture on the smoke ring toward the bottom? too much heat? or not enough?

Suggestions?

Attachments

Heres my first take -

Because the flat was so long and thin it made sense to me at the time to fold the flat over itself - Bad choice - Messed up about half of the brisket - the other half was better than the prime i cooked last time - especially the point

I've been having issues with the ends of my flats anyway - think i might wrap sooner next time and definitely not fold the flat over

Whats everyones thought on the color/ texture on the smoke ring toward the bottom? too much heat? or not enough?

Suggestions?

Looks decent, but I care more about taste. How did it taste??

Looks like it'd taste pretty good to me :)

Looks decent, but I care more about taste. How did it taste??

Looks like it'd taste pretty good to me :)

Point was Better than the prime i cooked last time - everyone loved it- really amazing

i'll let you know about the flat on the next one i cook - cant give it a fair judgement because i messed it up

The first one was underwhelming. I would expect more marbling w wagyu. The flat was very wide but thin overall. That only matters to a comp guy anyway. The flat and even the point both tightened up and did not want to reach doneness. Flavor was good but so was the CAB I cooked last weekend. I do have 3 more to cook so we will see.

I'd like to see what the top 30% look like. Scott @ Morgan is very hands on and committed to the customer.

For the record I usually cook srf black in comps. For catering I use choice or CAB. I have cooked wagyu from 2 other sources in addition to srf. Paradise meat locker and mr. Brisket.
I purchased 4 supposed wagyu from paradise and they were not even select grade. They would not make good on it. Would not provide where they got them from to prove they were wagyu. Complete rip off worst brisket Ive ever cooked

Almost seems like these briskets are easier to fark up. :wink:

Not sure how that would be unless there's something about Wagyu that I don't know when it comes to the "cook" it self. Mine small issues have been my time constraints and rushing.

I have one more left to cook. Been really busy with work and stuff, so not sure when I'll get the chance to cook it.

I'm thinking of just selling all my smokers and taking the thousands of dollars to just keep making road trips to Austin to BBQ Crawl all the famous joints! lol

J/K

Here is my take on Wagyu so take it with a grain of salt. Wagyu fat has a lower melting point than other beef, IMO it would be better to cook (for low and slow only) at a lower temp say 275ish and definitely wrap to preserve the moisture. Also I would not trim closer than a 1/4 inch. My family has been raising Wagyu Angus cross for over ten years. Currently all the calves are under contract for the Japanese market. Over the years we have slaughtered a few due to injuries so could not sell under contract, all have graded out at prime plus. The key to Waygu IMO is keep them on grass as long as possible then finish out. If raising them for personal use keep them on grass for 36 months then finish them, the marbling will be incredible.

Back