THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I'm still super excited to try this brisket from Morgan ranch.....I'll hopefully be starting around 7am tomorrow. For comparison sake i do have an 18 pound Costco prime packer that I'm cooking to make money from. Its an IBP packer.

As a side question, and I hope I'm nit guilty of derailing here, but i figured since its abiit the brisket, its more or less covered in that white fat a
on the top and bottom. For those of yiu that have cooked one of these or another wagyu style brisket....is it worth trimming all tge fat off the bottom? Or since the fat is supposed to be a pretty tasty portion of the animal should i just thin to .25" all over amd run it like that?

Last edited:
So I'm still super excited to try this brisket from Morgan ranch.....I'll hopefully be starting around 7am tomorrow. For comparison sake i do have an 18 pound Costco prime packer that I'm cooking to make money from. Its an IBP packer.

As a side question, and I hope I'm nit guilty of derailing here, but i figured since its abiit the brisket, its more or less covered in that white fat a
on the top and bottom. For those of yiu that have cooked one of these or another wagyu style brisket....is it worth trimming all tge fat off the bottom? Or since the fat is supposed to be a pretty tasty portion of the animal should i just thin to .25" all over amd run it like that?

you won't go wrong leaving some fat - it quickly melts off and is nearly gone at hour 6-7. what is left under your rub or bark is simply buttery feel good in your mouth goodness.

this is on deck this evening
4kiez5.jpg

Okay folks. I have some new info after speaking with Scott. I called him to let him know how my cook went and we were talking about my thread here. I told him some of the comments and concerns about the marbling vs. other brands / grades , etc.

He sent me this in a text so I can either share it or post it directly. He also sent photos of what he has and is NOW separating out for us BBQ folks since he's learning what is "good" vs. "better" for our passion. Again, he knows nothing about the BBQ scene, as it was never on his radar given what they mainly focus on.

Here is his text quote directly and the pics he sent of what he got and holding for future purchases for us (example pics of course).

"Hey, thanks for the talk just now...much appreciated and looking forward to seeing how the next round goes for you. As I said, our main focus has been on high end restaurants both here in the US and around the world so the BBQ scene is new to me. And as such, we have not been separating out the rounds, briskets, chuck rolls, etc. by marbling like we do the primary and secondary cuts. But, for the briskets in particular -- and at the request of some of the forum members -- I did pull out the top 30% of our slaughter and had our kill facility give us a new brisket code for those boxes so I could pull from that lot for the forum folks that are interested in the more marbled briskets. Not the same "grab bag" we've done for the briskets the past 20+ years. Wagyu cattle, like any breed, vary in their marbling and while nearly all of them score as Prime, some way more marbled than Prime. See the photos I've attached...that lace-like intramuscular fat is what gives the beef that "buttery" taste/texture. Hope that helps! And please keep the education coming my way!"

6A60E678-AA54-40AC-A16C-3A01A4A2FD63_zpsorq8styc.jpg

DCB15B31-9F66-4C64-8E83-1B1BA2ED3B79_zps7j3tictn.png

10BE2586-98C8-4F3D-AFD1-A245D81B8C78_zpszeccku7s.png

The thing that stands out for me in this thread is the pictures. Whatever the label on the meat, looking at the meat, in terms of marbling and general appearance, is most important. Think in terms of this, if you saw that piece of meat without any label, would you buy it? I buy most of my beef after the price is marked down, and I rarely pay any attention to what the label says. Little marbling? Stew beef. Some marbling? Slow cooker or braising. Even marbling? It goes on the grill indirect, then over the coals. I've NEVER been disappointed.

The first one was underwhelming. I would expect more marbling w wagyu. The flat was very wide but thin overall. That only matters to a comp guy anyway. The flat and even the point both tightened up and did not want to reach doneness. Flavor was good but so was the CAB I cooked last weekend. I do have 3 more to cook so we will see.

I'd like to see what the top 30% look like. Scott @ Morgan is very hands on and committed to the customer.

For the record I usually cook srf black in comps. For catering I use choice or CAB. I have cooked wagyu from 2 other sources in addition to srf. Paradise meat locker and mr. Brisket.

The Morgan brisket was the best I've ever had flavor wise. The flat was very thin so it got a little over done but the point was on the money. You wouldn't need teeth to eat this thing.

My Photobucket is acting stupid again so I'll have to post up onesies.

Last edited:
I'll catch crap for the bump but wanted to update this by saying that my thought to be "overcooked" first cook, sure is tender and juicy as I keep heating up the left overs.

Just had three large slices of the flat re-heated in foil. Very good :)

One thing is for sure. I will NOT be wasting money on the choice briskets I used to buy / cook from Food Depot anymore. Quality meat to start with is key, like everyone said. Glad I tried this Wagyu.

I'll catch crap for the bump but wanted to update this by saying that my thought to be "overcooked" first cook, sure is tender and juicy as I keep heating up the left overs.

Just had three large slices of the flat re-heated in foil. Very good :)

One thing is for sure. I will NOT be wasting money on the choice briskets I used to buy / cook from Food Depot anymore. Quality meat to start with is key, like everyone said. Glad I tried this Wagyu.

I've never purchased meat that was shipped to me, but I totally agree. If you choose your meat wisely, the result is totally worth paying a little extra for. For me, any meat that wouldn't turn out well without excessive handling is not worth paying a lot of money for.

Back